Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Exam/ Repeat Protocol

• 09-04-2012 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi, I'm currently looking into a course in Athlone It, specifically the course in either Environmental Toxicology or Forensic Toxicology.

I was wondering could I get some opinions on the college, I was in a University before, and they weren't semesterised.
    I was wondering is Athlone semesterised, if i fail an exam in the August repeats can you carry it forward to the following year, if you can't, what happens?

Also any general opinions on the college would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

It depends on the subject. For most courses, certainly in engineering not 100% sure about science, Athlone IT is semesterised with exams at the end of both semesters. Have a look at the college prospectus for more information.

If you fail an exam in the August repeats you can carry the subject, but you can only carry about three subjects. After that you can either repeat the year or call it quits.

General opinions, AIT is a nice enough place. It's not too big so you see people regularly and it's not too small so you can meet loads of new people along the way. The facilities have improved a sight since I first started there although there are still plenty of annoying problems, such as the college WiFi (don't know if it got sorted out this year or not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

Zero1986 wrote: »
    If you fail an exam in the August repeats you can carry the subject, but you can only carry about three subjects. After that you can either repeat the year or call it quits.

Actually, if it is an award year (i.e. final year, or you're going from a Higher Cert to a Degree year), then failed subjects cannot be carried. You do have the option of only repeating the class(es) you failed in August though, giving yourself time to focus only on that particular exam. I repeated one class from second year of a HC, and having so few hours in college meant I could work to pay my fees.

If you do fail your semester exams or assessments (most courses are graded by Continuous Assessment as well as exams), you will get a repeat exam application form in the post with your semester 2 exam results. This has the application form, bank giro form (flat rate of €70, no matter how many you have to do), and a receipt. This has to be handed in, even if you only have to repeat assessments (labs, practicals, etc).
    ***NB***Make sure you hand the form into the office personally and keep the receipt safe, mine got lost in the office somewhere and only got through because of that tiny stub of paper...

Getting back to your post, I have to say AIT is a pretty good place. It's not so big that you'll get completely lost, the science labs are all in the one area, the canteen isn't too bad, and there's a good range of clubs and societies running too. The town itself is nice enough, as always there are some places with bad reputations, but in five years I can't say it's been terrible. I stayed here after I graduated because I found the best friends possible, and it's fairly handy to get to anything from here. All I can say is: don't expect it to be like your university. I have friends in UCD and UCC, and their experiences are totally different.

Advertisement