Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone to Eircom

Options
  • 09-04-2012 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I am considering switching from Vodafone to Eircom broadband.

Apart from contacting Eircom and giving account details and permission to move my service from Vodafone to Eircom, what else does changing providers entail? Will changing provider cause disruption? I presume I'll have to reconfigure my modem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

It should only take a few days.. but before doing it i'd check with anyone you know in the area about the level of service, our service has been terrible since signing up.

I recently went from Vodafone to Eircom and although the package with Vodafone was only for 2mb, we constantly got speeds close to that.

I am now on an 8mb package and am getting speeds of around 1.5mb, it was less before an engineer came out. Now as it stands there is little chance of getting anything close to their advertised speeds unless they hook us up to a nearby exchange for a business park which is highly unlikely.

The grass isn't always greener...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Your probably only ever going to see 2Mb max on that line even with NGB it doesn't make a differance if the line is really long that runs to your house or is damaged in any way this would affect your speeds.

I can't really blame alot of people for leaving DSL based services because it is useless when it comes to line limitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

ng1 wrote: »
    I am considering switching from Vodafone to Eircom broadband.

Apart from contacting Eircom and giving account details and permission to move my service from Vodafone to Eircom, what else does changing providers entail? Will changing provider cause disruption? I presume I'll have to reconfigure my modem.

Hi ng1,

Thanks for getting in touch before placing the order, I will detail the process for you as best I can below:
    • First, you need to ensure you are not tied to any contract with the other provider as once the order is placed with us, the switch happens regardless of any obligations you might have with the other company, so make sure you won't be hit with any early cancellation charge on that side.
    • Once you have confirmed this, ask them for the UAN (universal account number). This is required to allow the order to process.
    • Call freephone 1800 566 366 and have your direct debit details, UAN number and preferably an idea of which package you need. If you're not sure what you need, the agent will go through the options for you. All other required info you will know yourself.
    • Once the order is placed with an eircom agent there is a 10 day "cooling off" period which is put in place by the regulator. You can change you mind at any point during this period.
    • After this point, the order will hit our system and the line is normally returned to eircom within 5-10 working days with broadband to follow in 5-10 working days also. You should however have active service the whole way through.
    • Once the orders complete on our system you can then avail of the extra services (MusicHub/StudyHub/SportsHub/My eircom/etc)
    I hope this clears up some of your concerns but if you have any further queries I'd be happy to address them for you.

Kind regards

James (Logged in as Mark)

Advertisement