Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long are you able to own a car before you feel like a change ?

• 09-04-2012 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Personally, after 6 months or so, no matter how good a car is the novelty wears off, and I feel like owning a different car.

For financial reasons however, I end up keeping them a couple of years. The longest so far I've ever been able to keep a car is 5 years, but it kills me to do so.

So how long can you own a car before you feel like a change ?

And, apart from winning the Lotto, or getting a job in the motor trade, are there any solutions to this problem ? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I was the same, changed every 6 months or so until i started sellin cars then i changed every few weeks! Sell commercials now and am content driving a new van because no BIk to be paid but am now thinkin we "need" a high spec crewcab as a demo.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

When a person feels like a change and when they can afford a change is generally the thing :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

Not until such time that it starts giving me serious trouble, Bought a new 406 Peugeot in 1999 and am still driving it no major problems other normal wearing parts 165000 miles on it now still going strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Im averaging 10months so far :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Usually 6 months for me..

But shock of shocks, currently 10 months on my current jammer !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    When a person feels like a change and when they can afford a change is generally the thing :p

maybe; im not a fugal man but i don't really see the point... i'd love to own a car forr every occasion but with the recession in full swing, ive never been busier work wise and cars ever cheaper... all i need is space... Lots and lots of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I had my corolla about 7 months, wanted a change. I put Iridium spark plugs into her over the weekend and shes a different car altogether :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

I would love to change car every 6 months but its such a pain selling the car and buying a new one. Dealing with idiots on donedeal:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

So far my cars history is:
    206 from June 2010 to March 2011
    Focus from March 2011 to June 2011 (Was away from June -> August)
    Focus from August 2011 to September 2011
    Rover 25 from September 2011 to November 2011 (Car was rearended)
    Rover 25 from November to Present (currently for sale)

So around 4-5 months really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'd have kept my Integra forever, other cars I've wanted rid of within a few weeks though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Ever
    y month or so and I did do it one time. We have a car now in the house over 2 years..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

NinjaK wrote: »
    I would love to change car every 6 months but its such a pain selling the car and buying a new one. Dealing with idiots on donedeal:rolleyes:

There are other ways to sell a car.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

padd b1975 wrote: »
    NinjaK wrote: »

There are other ways to sell a car.
    There are, but trading in can be a pain also.

Over 4 years on my Avensis. Can't seem to drive her into the ground. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

7 cars in thirty odd years they are the biggest waste of money as long as it gets you from A-B it is grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I'd have kept my Integra forever, other cars I've wanted rid of within a few weeks though

The Integra is the first car I honestly dont want to change. Obviously Id love something a bigger but until I can afford a Skyline Ill be sticking with the ITR! Two and a half years and still love every time I drive her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

7 cars in thirty odd years they are the biggest waste of money as long as it gets you from A-B it is grand

Yes but this is the motors forum where people actually like cars
    djimi wrote: »
    The Integra is the first car I honestly dont want to change. Obviously Id love something a bigger but until I can afford a Skyline Ill be sticking with the ITR! Two and a half years and still love every time I drive her.

Yup, I just went a bit mad modding mine and when it went stupidly quick round the track with obvious places we could cut time off I decided to retire it and got something 'sensible', got rid of that fairly quickly lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Declan Lander

You're right in a mathematical type way, but we're not going to live forever, you can't take it with you, and as the late great George Best used to say ;

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars... the rest I just squandered."

best4-sized.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Usually around a year and I get itchy feet. Have been able to indulge this weakness before but not any more. Ill be keeping my current car for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Usually a year and I'm done with a car. I've not worked out too badly though , hard work when buying has meant that I usually end up putting very little cash with my previous cars money to upgrade ie. last car I had cost €3800 in and cleared from the UK but sold a few weeks back for €5500 with a years driving up on her :) now looking for a E60 530d or 535d but I have use if another car so I can afford to wait a few weeks til the right car comes up. I reckon a €1000 with the other money should see me right! The lst few have cost in the region of €200-€300 to upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Declan Lander

last car I had cost €3800 in and cleared from the UK but sold a few weeks back for €5500 with a years driving up on her :) .

Nice one, what make & model was it, as I find most UK motors are very over priced these days, and the UK used to be much better value, but with exchange rates etc. now and factoring in transport costs, VRT, NCT, I can't find any decent margin in it these days, if any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

It really depends.

I had mine for a few months and it runs great, comfortable, fast and not a single problem so far, couldnt be happier but funny enough I am thinking of putting it up for sale now, the reason being is that I have always wanted an BNR34 GTR, since I first saw one on TV back in 1999, I bought the RS4 thinking it will do me for a year or two but everytime I see a r34 I can't stop thinking about it for days...

Its weird, the RS4 is a beautiful car, great looking outside, classy inside, leather everywhere, great finish and very reliable and suitable for all irish roads, then, why can't I just stop thinking about getting an R34, am I being a fool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Until I see absolutely no chance of repairing the one I have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I had my first B5 Passat for 8 years, bought it near new and drove it until an idiot ran into it and totaled it.
    Bought another one within two weeks but couldn't just take to her even though it was a higher spec.
    After two years I sold her and bought an X-Trail which I have a few months now, still loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

About 9 years on a mk4 1.4 golf (Bought new for insurance ,economy reasons and did most things well especially transporting things)
    Still own it but now have a Mk1 TT Roadster which I doubt I will part with. Keep pumping in money to maintain it as new I think in the years ahead. Luckily its the last of the well built Audis with not too many electronics to go wrong as well as enthusiast support.

Nice one, what make & model was it, as I find most UK motors are very over priced these days, and the UK used to be much better value, but with exchange rates etc. now and factoring in transport costs, VRT, NCT, I can't find any decent margin in it these days, if any.

2005 passat highline diesel. There are a few gems to be got in the uk but you really need to keep looking until you find the right one. Being able to travel on 24 hr notice helps too. I usually round up 3-4 cars in the vicinity of the ferry port and then look further afield. A lot if the dealers over there are in the same mess their in over here so a few calls on the way can reap a lot of rewards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

My first four or five cars I didn't keep long enough for any to need a service or a set of tyres, although my mileage would be less than 10k a year anyway.
    Then I splurged on a 318 auto, which I kept for two years and then replaced with the 320Ci I have for the last six years. Every now and then I think I should probably get something newer but apart from a disaster last year when a mechanic caused a problem it hasn't missed a beat and still puts a smile on my face. Aside from playing M3 roulette I can't think of anything that I'd like to replace it with. At this stage I'll probably keep it until something major goes wrong to make it uneconomical to repair. I'm still in no hurry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well I've had 4 cars in the last 7 years.. but owned my current 06 Passat for the last 4 years.

I fancy a change but because it "don't get the cheap tax" and has over 200k km on her (and as such is main dealer serviced every 3/4 months), I wouldn't get feck all for her and I (like most I suppose) don't have the 15-20k it'd take to change to something else like a decent 05+ A6. If I didn't have that problem I might be looking at a 10-reg 520/30D too.

(Sometimes I even think I should just sell it and get something like a late E39 or an E-Class or even an S-type but I don't think I'd go through with it :))

Oh well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Get the itch every week to be honest, can't keep myself away from Pistonheads. But have no intention of buying anything for the next year as a minimum bringing me up to 5 years, what i'd get for mine would render it utterly pointless in selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I've always over lapped my cars, always held on to the previous car for a good while after picking up a new one. In fact I still have the car I got 12 years ago, 6 years ago & picked up another one about 10 months ago. It's not the first time I've held on to 3-in-a-row either, I've done it a few times.
    The shortest I've held on to a car was 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭lau1247

while like anyone else if i have the cash to blow i'd change cars in a heart beat..

but other than that i don't really mind..

my last car was a golf MKIII which i had for five years, other than things starting to get costly into repairs I wouldn't have changed it..

my current car is A4 and I'd say I'd keep it for at least the next 6 to 7 years until it runs to the ground..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

After about 6 months I start itching to change, I've had 9 cars in 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Rover 400 - 1 year
    MG ZR - 1 year
    BMW 318i - 1 year
    Mazda RX8 - 2.5 years
    Mazda 6 MPS - have it almost a year

It usually depends on whether or not I can afford to get a new car and how bored I am of the one I have at the time.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Well I've had 4 cars in the last 7 years.. but owned my current 06 Passat for the last 4 years.

I fancy a change but because it "don't get the cheap tax" and has over 200k km on her (and as such is main dealer serviced every 3/4 months), I wouldn't get feck all for her and I (like most I suppose) don't have the 15-20k it'd take to change to something else like a decent 05+ A6. If I didn't have that problem I might be looking at a 10-reg 520/30D too.

(Sometimes I even think I should just sell it and get something like a late E39 or an E-Class or even an S-type but I don't think I'd go through with it :))

Oh well..

You'd be surprised what you'd get for it. Passats have a weird resale mentality over here. There's always someone who wants one!! I was contemplating selling mine for a while and stuck it up on donedeal for 6k expecting to get 5k or a little less but sold a few days later for more than expected.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've found a solution to this problem. I have my current car 6 years (technically 7 as it was the 05/06 free replacement offer). I do however have two classic minis. I drive them for maybe a few days and it's like driving a "new" car, then go back to my daily driver. Get bored of that and pick one of the classics. I keep doing it. Driving the minis are an experience and it really takes the edge off wanting a new car every few weeks. Saying that, Im hoping to buy a 159 soon enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

no more than a few months each - they just get dull and I itch for a change. I also never sell the old one, I just park it up in the yard till it goes mouldy then quietly send em to the crusher when the wifes not looking. I may have sent 10 to the scrappies last year, Jasus, it's a disease with me. Some also end up as hand-me downs to either people who ask or one of the kids. It's sort of a standing joke that I've been driving that car for a few weeks, must be due a change soon. The wifes view is as long as I don't tell her, go ahead. She keeps her cars till they literally die. But, feck it, I've no other hobby, I earn the money it costs and nobody goes without in the house as a consequence:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

antodeco wrote: »
    I've found a solution to this problem. I have my current car 6 years (technically 7 as it was the 05/06 free replacement offer). I do however have two classic minis. I drive them for maybe a few days and it's like driving a "new" car, then go back to my daily driver. Get bored of that and pick one of the classics. I keep doing it. Driving the minis are an experience and it really takes the edge off wanting a new car every few weeks. Saying that, Im hoping to buy a 159 soon enough!

More more post antodeco, make it count!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Well I got my latest car 3 weeks ago today.

So I reckon I get an itch to change after 3 weeks :o

Completely agree about have a classic car to use to make your ordinary car seem new again. It has always helped in the past so I may do it again although I'm broke for now sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Horsing about in an 06 Isuzu D-max for the last 13 months now. Reckon I will be driving it for another 10 years with any luck.
    The wife has an 08 accord the last 3 years and we have no desire to change that either.
    Before that it was every 2 years to change but we never had anything we liked like the accord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I don't think I've owned any daily car for more than two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

before the recession id have changed cars reguraly shortest i had was for one day.
    currently have 5 cars here atm and have itchy feet to change but no job means i cant afford to
    im 30 and at a conserative guess ive had about 50 plus cars
    atm have a 530d on the road 180 with skyline running gear in the shed silvia with sr20 in the shed a dutton needing a restore and an avensis diesel in the yard just sitting there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Yes but this is the motors forum where people actually like cars

I like cars myself, if I could afford and had the space to store something special, I would, but I know some tool will try rob it or damage it out of spite (or oblivious disregard). In fairness they can be black holes for money, but I agree everyone is allowed have a vice, the kind of money some people spend (ie lose) on changing cars is horrific, in general everytime you buy and sell a car you lose money, unless you have something special on your hands.

Personally, I'd like a daily runner and then something sweet in perfect condition (doesnt have to be new), really you need a place (if only) to store something out of the weather and out of sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I like to decide what I really want, get it new, and keep it forever.

I had an Alfa 155 for 6 years, a Multipla for 7 years, and I have 150,000 km up on an S-Max in 4 years, still loving it.

We've had a few 2nd car crapboxes over the years, but we've a Mini since 09, and I'd say we'll keep that for many years, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

For me it's like a clock 1 year. Every year around march - April I am itching for something fresh. So far this is the first year I won't be buying anything :(.

Even now my damn bangornomics ford is going strong and I don't have an excuse for misses to change it this year. :(
    I got my skyline, which needed to go off road, but problem is it will cost me a lot to put it back on the road now. Plus TAX, Insurance, petrol price combo is just a death sentence to me now. If I could I would get it back on the road and I would newer ever drive anything else! No point selling it and getting peanuts for it. I better see it rot.

Oh yeah. Mazda mx5 won't leave our family at all at this stage. It is something that I would love too keep in family and give to my children. That car is just legendary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

After a year I normally start thinking about changing, but it's usually another year again before I actually take the plunge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

5 years is about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

3 Years is normally my max.. Im not a reg snob, I just love the feel of a new car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AnimalCracker

Ive had my car new since 2003... No intention of changing it till it gives trouble :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Sobanek wrote: »
    5 years is about it.

Considering you only got your learner's permit last year and you're only 18, that's quite remarkable.Don't ya think? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

For me I'd say its about the 15 yr mark, not long now :)
    still, I need people to be needlessly replacing their cars early so i can get a good motor cheap, will ye just make sure to look after them and change the oil regularly please :D

Advertisement