Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming tax back & paying into super?

Options
  • 09-04-2012 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Asking this on behalf of my girlfriend, she started work last week on a 3 mth contract through a rec agency. Is the whole super thing done automatically? The company mentioned to her that she could use their one, is there a few out there? Also tfn numbers have not arrived yet(ordered 3 weeks ago) so would she be paying alot of tax on first weeks wages?

Thanks guys:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

I'm pretty sure I just got my TFN online and its just an instant thing? Super is basically your pension. There are loads of different companies which provide Super. I just go with whichever one my company uses, most people do. Its the easiest. You can claim back your super when you leave. I'm not sure about tax though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Ok thanks, i taught the super was tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

zweton wrote: »
    Ok thanks, i taught the super was tax?

Nope Superannuation (super) is your pension fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

colman1212 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I just got my TFN online and its just an instant thing? Super is basically your pension. There are loads of different companies which provide Super. I just go with whichever one my company uses, most people do. Its the easiest. You can claim back your super when you leave. I'm not sure about tax though.

You can claim your tax back at the end of the Australian tax year which ends on 30th June, if u leave Australia before the end of the tax year there u can claim it when u get to your next destenation as long as your sure u won't be working in oz for the remainder of that tax year

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

zweton wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Asking this on behalf of my girlfriend, she started work last week on a 3 mth contract through a rec agency. Is the whole super thing done automatically? The company mentioned to her that she could use their one, is there a few out there? Also tfn numbers have not arrived yet(ordered 3 weeks ago) so would she be paying alot of tax on first weeks wages?

Thanks guys:)

If she signed a contract it should say if she is paying into a Super fund. It will also say on her pay check. Its just a pension fund. Would be a good idea to have it back home. It would probably help alleviate all the private vs public sector nonsense.

My tax file number took a few weeks as well. If you ring them up and confirm your details they'll give it to you over the phone. If you don't have it after working for a month you'll be hit with a higher rate of tax as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Its best practice to keep just one super fund, you get monthly and yearly charges on each account and they can add up to a few 100 a year (the lower end of it)
    But still your giving money away for nothing and then you will have to chase up a few places when you go home. Im with westpac and they just gave me a form that i hand an employer and all details are on there that they need. Im only with westpac as it was the first bank i joined i havent really looked into it any further.

Watch out for a new company trying to put her on the non resident tax bracket, a lot of places get this wrong. It is about your INTENTION to stay so if you intend to stay here you can be taxed as an Australian resident immediately.
    You may need TFN first tho im not sure of that part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Ok, im with NAB bank so i might see if they do that form also.
    Would be handy alright to keep everything together.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My first job, I just let the company put me on thier generic super.
    In subsequent companies, I geve them the details of that super account to keep it together.

If I was going back I'd keep it with my back account and its better to moniter

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bobbles87

hey there, I called the office yesterday and they gave me the number over the phone , so do that asap!!

Also, just to jump in on this, I am contracting via an agency aswell from next week. Apparently I am ''non resident'' for tax purposes. Is there any way I can change this or will I have to wait for the new tax yr ie July? Also final Q, has anyone got any exp or info on LAFHA???

Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

I heard LAFHA is being done away with!

For those of you getting Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) –
    Unfortunately reforms to remove this allowance will take effect from 1 July 2012. This will mean a reduction in your take home pay of up to 25% unless your employer has already agreed to make up this difference in your pay packet. Now might be the best time to consider your permanent visa application as there is no longer a financial benefit to being on the 457 temporary visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

bobbles87 wrote: »
    Apparently I am ''non resident'' for tax purposes.

Ask them to change it. Tell them you will be here more than 6 months so are a resident for tax purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

The tax purposes is all about INTENTION so if you intend to stay longer than 6 months as Mellor said your fine.

Some payroll people think its 6 months min in a job, i had that discussion with our payroll and she didnt believe me at all until i sent her links. It didnt concern me but she had been doing all the backpackers tax wrong for ages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

NoelAPM wrote: »
    I heard LAFHA is being done away with!

For those of you getting Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) –
    Unfortunately reforms to remove this allowance will take effect from 1 July 2012. This will mean a reduction in your take home pay of up to 25% unless your employer has already agreed to make up this difference in your pay packet. Now might be the best time to consider your permanent visa application as there is no longer a financial benefit to being on the 457 temporary visa.

Ha!

There was a little smug English lad in work the other day. Was buying rounds and keeping the receipts - was saying he can claim all the tax back with LAFHA. Hope he gets stung

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ha!

There was a little smug English lad in work the other day. Was buying rounds and keeping the receipts - was saying he can claim all the tax back with LAFHA. Hope he gets stung

Well since the tax year doesn't end until 30th June and LAFHA ends on the same day for 457'ers technically he is entitled to be smug up until that date.

Or he might be a PR or Citizen living away from home in Melbourne.

Advertisement