Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reseeding options

• 09-04-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I'm looking at reseeding 9 acres in the next couple of weeks. I've had a few cattle out on it and it's well poached up now. There's not too many stones in this field and it's fairly dry ground.

Would the way to go be to spray with roundup, followed by power harrow, then seed, then roll?

I can spray and roll myself, harrowing and seeding will be a contractor job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kofnh

Ya sounds good to me, would spray it, leave for week or 2 skin it with rotary mower. then be no harm give it a coat slurry and defo a bit of lime.. power harrow seed and roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

There was an article on reseeding in the IFJ a couple of weeks back. Teagasc I think did a trail of different reseeding methods and a comparision of results was made, based on the tonnage of grass it produced in the following years.

Min till methods (disc and powerharrow or just powerharrowing) produced better results than conventional plough/till/sow.

Spray off.

Then a week/10days later....
    Disc (optional).
    Powerharrow.
    Land leveller (not always necessary)
    Roll.
    Sow seed.
    Roll.
    Close gate.

It's up for debate when to spread lime. Some say before tilling so you've a crust and you're not bogging, others say after so that it's near the surface and not buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Muckit wrote: »
    There was an article on reseeding in the IFJ a couple of weeks back. Teagasc I think did a trail of different reseeding methods and a comparision of results was made, based on the tonnage of grass it produced in the following years.

Min till methods (disc and powerharrow or just powerharrowing) produced better results than conventional plough/till/sow.

Spray off.

Disc (optional).
    Powerharrow.
    Roll.
    Sow seed.
    Roll.
    Close gate.

It's up for debate when to spread lime. Some say before tilling so you've a crust and you're not bogging, others say after so that it's near the surface and not buried.

Thats great advice Muckit. I am going to reseed silage ground after cutting and wanted to do it this way but wasnt sure about the method. Thanks allot.

P.S - is it ok to spray with roundup before cutting the grass for bales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Muckit wrote: »

Spray off.

Disc (optional).
    Powerharrow.
    Roll.
    Sow seed.
    Roll.
    Close gate.

Has anybody tried direct drilling method with the Guttler Greenmaster system. Like what these guys are doing. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/3194702 or http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/3146978

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I think its madness. People are over-complicating reseeding. See the picture below of the ground after the guttler greenmaster system. Anyone can roughen ground like this with a chain harrow, sprinkle grass seed with a wagtail, cover it with the chain harrow and roll. There isn't a lot of need to pay a guy €50 an acre to come in to do it. I achieved as good of results as this guy has shown in the photographs in his ad with my chain harrow and at a fraction of the price!

Full-10985180.jpeg

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention 2 bags of 10-10-20/acre :D or slurry. Some say 18-6-12 or something similiar like 'Replenish'. Again lads will have different ideas on when to spread. I don't think it matters a whole pile.

I'd agree with Reilig that if you were thinking of getting in a guttler or something similar, don't. Go away and buy a chain harrow instead, you'I have it for again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

RobinBanks wrote: »
    is it ok to spray with roundup before cutting the grass for bales?

Yes it is. Spray and harvest 9 or 10 days later. There will be the grandest wilt on the grass, and it makes lovely silage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

the picture above is no advert for that system anyway. no way would I put grass seeds into such and environment. I would post pictures of my direct drilled pastures with a moore drill but they are on my old computer that just wont start today :rolleyes:

reilig wrote: »
    I think its madness. People are over-complicating reseeding. See the picture below of the ground after the guttler greenmaster system. Anyone can roughen ground like this with a chain harrow, sprinkle grass seed with a wagtail, cover it with the chain harrow and roll. There isn't a lot of need to pay a guy €50 an acre to come in to do it. I achieved as good of results as this guy has shown in the photographs in his ad with my chain harrow and at a fraction of the price!

Full-10985180.jpeg

Yes, when I saw that picture, I thought the place looked like a horse gallup. Note the post and rail fencing. I thought that might at least part explain the condition of the field post reseed. To be fair though, the owner of the field, has the responsibility to ensure absolute min vegitation on the surface before the contractor arrives.

There was a discussion on it here recently http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=66396

I would asctually like to try a few acres, if there was somebody in my area doing it. I think in a well prepared field, it might work good. By well prepared I mean sprayed, cut bare to the soil, thrash gathered up, and chain harrowed to drag away as much as possible of remaining vegitation, dead grass etc,.
    Then let contractor in to do his stuff. Then good coat of slurry. Am I raving:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

im always curious about just giving it two rubs of the power harrow. i have a power harrow but always plough first. i normally spray, plough, tine harrow, power harrow, seed+fert and then roll.
    when ye say power harrow do ye have the packer down afterwards or lifted up? anyone of any pics of the bed when it had just been power harrowed.

• Advertisement

No pics. But one run of the powerharrow is all I gave it last time.

You would see a few little squibs of yellow burnt off scraw, but nothing major.

Well pleased with the results.

I think with the way diesel prices are going ALL farm machinery operations will have to become more simplified. Whatever system gets the job done with the minimum amount of tractor passes wins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

the picture above is no advert for that system anyway. no way would I put grass seeds into such and environment. I would post pictures of my direct drilled pastures with a moore drill but they are on my old computer that just wont start today :rolleyes:

would be interested in seeing those Bob if you get a chance sometime, those guttler greenmasters are about 12 grand i believe !

im always curious about just giving it two rubs of the power harrow. i have a power harrow but always plough first. i normally spray, plough, tine harrow, power harrow, seed+fert and then roll.
    when ye say power harrow do ye have the packer down afterwards or lifted up? anyone of any pics of the bed when it had just been power harrowed.

I have done it like that in the past. Very popular method around here.
    If weather is dry, it's best to power harrow twice, with a few days in between, to allow the turned up surface dry out a bit.
    Second run of the harrow will create a much finer seed bed, than if you did it twice same day.
    pick stones if you need. seed, fertilise, lime, roll. go for a few pints:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

reilig wrote: »

Full-10985180.jpeg

Yes, when I saw that picture, I thought the place looked like a horse gallup. Note the post and rail fencing. I thought that might at least part explain the condition of the field post reseed. To be fair though, the owner of the field, has the responsibility to ensure absolute min vegitation on the surface before the contractor arrives.

There was a discussion on it here recently http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=66396

I would asctually like to try a few acres, if there was somebody in my area doing it. I think in a well prepared field, it might work good. By well prepared I mean sprayed, cut bare to the soil, thrash gathered up, and chain harrowed to drag away as much as possible of remaining vegitation, dead grass etc,.
    Then let contractor in to do his stuff. Then good coat of slurry. Am I raving:confused:
    A coat of slurry after reseeding? My neighbour did that a few years ago and killed off all the newly seeded grass.

A coat of slurry after reseeding? My neighbour did that a few years ago and killed off all the newly seeded grass.

Dont be daft! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Dont be daft! :eek:
    I am not being daft, my neighbour went daft though when he had to reseed the field again.

picture of direct drilling grass seed. This field was burned off about a month previously (16/3/11) and then drilled (20/4/11 give or take a few days). It should have received a ltr per ha of Glyphosate post drilling to clear up any greening but my sprayer was on beet duty and I was just too busy to have to spend 3 hrs clean it out again. So what happened is that there was a little weed grass back in the new sward, say less than 20% so it wasnt the end of the world. I usually prefer to drill into living grass and then burn off 4 or 5 days after drilling as this gives the new grass more time to get on its feet. cant find any after pictures at the moment

Attachment 1 (no 9)

Picture of grass Driect drilled into maize stubble on the 17th of October 2010. this picture was taken on the 6/3/11 getting it first application of fert

Attachment 2 (no 10)

First grazing on the 2nd of April 11, this is a single variety hybrid ryegrass, was really only put as a very short term grazing grass (6 - 12 months) but unfortunately its still in the ground 18 months later due to shortage of land and this field not able to go back into the rotation its supposed to be in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

picture of direct drilling grass seed. This field was burned off about a month previously (16/3/11) and then drilled (20/4/11 give or take a few days). It should have received a ltr per ha of Glyphosate post drilling to clear up any greening but my sprayer was on beet duty and I was just too busy to have to spend 3 hrs clean it out again. So what happened is that there was a little weed grass back in the new sward, say less than 20% so it wasnt the end of the world. I usually prefer to drill into living grass and then burn off 4 or 5 days after drilling as this gives the new grass more time to get on its feet. cant find any after pictures at the moment

do you use a subsoiler before hand bob or is it necessary?

do you use a subsoiler before hand bob or is it necessary?

sub soiler is an implement that is very very necessary, I have never used one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Great pics Bob .Is it a moore uni-drill you are using did you say ? Does the new grass come better when you kill off the old grass after drilling ? Ive never done it that way but it sounds like a good plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Attachment 1 (no 9)

Picture of grass Driect drilled into maize stubble on the 17th of October 2010. this picture was taken on the 6/3/11 getting it first application of fert

Attachment 2 (no 10)

First grazing on the 2nd of April 11, this is a single variety hybrid ryegrass, was really only put as a very short term grazing grass (6 - 12 months) but unfortunately its still in the ground 18 months later due to shortage of land and this field not able to go back into the rotation its supposed to be in

That looks to be a super tidy job bob. Would I right in thinking that this method of reseeding wouldnt make the ground as tender as the conventional methods?

That looks to be a super tidy job bob. Would I right in thinking that this method of reseeding wouldnt make the ground as tender as the conventional methods?

Any of our grazing that doesnt need leveling, direct drilling is the prefered option. From drilling date to grazing depending on time of the year could be as close as 6 - 8 weeks. The 'sod' is as tough as normal and this is the big advantage in my view. Also the best of the nutrients are on top of the gorund. Mind there is a good bit of planning on getting a good job done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Attachment 1 (no 9)

Attachment 2 (no 10)

Is this westerwolds bob? How long are you leaving it in?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

how would a howard rotovator work as opposed to a power harrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

put in seeds 2 weeks ago and nothing showing yet but mind you tis a north facing field so i would nt blame them for keeping their heads down

Advertisement