Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog terrified of 'cone' from vet

• 09-04-2012 11:05am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, though i would just offer this solution we found to the above problem.
    My collie cross was at the vets a couple of weeks ago to have a tumour removed from his chest, had the stitches done - never attempted to go at them so we never bothered with the 'lampshade', however on a return visit he had to have a chest drain fitted, he hated it and attempted to get it anyway he could, so the shade had to go on. He was traumatised with it, because he has a long snout, the shade was enormous and he's nervous enough anyway.. So after a couple of days with a very scared dog, we thought of alternatives and we came up with a t-shirt! So now the dog is happy out, wearing old t-shirts and looking the business and is not traumatised at all.
    Thought it might help others having a similar problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Hi, though i would just offer this solution we found to the above problem.
    My collie cross was at the vets a couple of weeks ago to have a tumour removed from his chest, had the stitches done - never attempted to go at them so we never bothered with the 'lampshade', however on a return visit he had to have a chest drain fitted, he hated it and attempted to get it anyway he could, so the shade had to go on. He was traumatised with it, because he has a long snout, the shade was enormous and he's nervous enough anyway.. So after a couple of days with a very scared dog, we thought of alternatives and we came up with a t-shirt! So now the dog is happy out, wearing old t-shirts and looking the business and is not traumatised at all.
    Thought it might help others having a similar problem.

That's actually a great idea. I'll remember that one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

my collie cross went mental with the cone aswell . As in total flipout thrasing madly around the garden etc till it came off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

my collie cross went mental with the cone aswell . As in total flipout thrasing madly around the garden etc till it came off.

that I could have coped with, my fella was banging his head off walls repeatedly, he accidently shut the door behind himself in a bedroom and frightened himself so much he poohed everywhere, and then decided he would vomit all over the kitchen when I left him alone for half an hour:eek:
    It was not good. collies are nervous at the best of times, but my fella is a big wuss:D

Advertisement