Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any fish in Galway at the moment?

Options
  • 09-04-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Have a friend visiting from overseas that wants to try his hand at fishing. I'd like to take him to the pier in the Claddagh or along the banks in Salthill. Anything in the water this time of year? I think it's too early for mackerel.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Cut out the hassle and try McDonaghs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

All the fish take a break for the Easter period, so there is no fish in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Coarse fishing in the corrib. Some nice sized pike and brown trout caught in the past 3weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

snubbleste wrote: »
    All the fish take a break for the Easter period, so there is no fish in the water.

That's cause they know Good Friday is a dangerous time for them. So they do a legger finner.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

http://www.galwaybayfishing.com/

These guys do excellent trips out to the bay, the back of the Aran Islands, and around by Cliffs of Moher, if you have a few quid to spend on a day trip. Equipment provided.

Highly recommended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

celty wrote: »
    http://www.galwaybayfishing.com/

These guys do excellent trips out to the bay, the back of the Aran Islands, and around by Cliffs of Moher, if you have a few quid to spend on a day trip. Equipment provided.

Highly recommended!

I was going to recommend somebody else until I visited the site and realised they were the same people.

I wouldn't have any interest in it myself but I have heard from people that they had a great time on Max's boat, the smaller of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I was going to recommend somebody else until I visited the site and realised they were the same people.

I wouldn't have any interest in it myself but I have heard from people that they had a great time on Max's boat, the smaller of the two.
    I haven't taken it, but relations of mine have and they loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Are you the man himself or is that just your username?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I'm seeing a fair few people fishing when I drive by Palmer's rock in Salthill at the moment, very unusual this time of year, whats the story there? Are they actually catching anything or is there any point? They even seem to be fishing when the tide is going out, which is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I dunno where Palmer's Rock is. But I had some mighty fresh pollock for my dinner on Saturday, which Mr justMary said came from off Salthill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

we caught some pollock on our kayaking/ stand up paddleboardign surfari trip from rusheen bay to Barna last night... plenty of fish out there and even more jellies...
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭EDavey20

i was thinking of trying to catcha few mackerel tonight tonight in galway city. thinking about trying the docks/ salthill or nimmos pier. has anyone heard of many people cathcing any just spinning from the shore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

EDavey20 wrote: »
    has anyone heard of many people cathcing any just spinning from the shore?
    Thats what I'm wondering, I love the oul fishing but I'm not standing around casting for six hours in the name of a lonely pollock. That they're even fishing when the tide is going out is not an encouraging sign, even in season its time to pack up when it turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I saw a few mackerel being caught from the end of Nimmos pier and the pier by the slipway across the entrance of the docks from Nimmos.

There seemed to be a fair few eastern Europeans doing the fishing, who may not have Doc Ruby's local knowledge and wisdom.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

if you want to go mackerel fishing go to spiddal pier,class spot,haven't tried it yet but this time last year i was catching bucket loads and big ones too ;);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I have no idea why but there are a **** TON on salmon in the canal behidn the roisin for the last week or so, they might have wandered in when the tide was in and got stuck.

I've also seen lads pulling in Maks around the rocks in black rock when the tide is in later in the afternoons. The water is getting very warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Anyone know if there's any mackerel being caught these days? Hope to get down during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well gone at this stage dont see any being caught, normally head off in Sept. You would probaly get them out in the Bay but in a boat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Aw really? :( Looking over posts from last year they were being caught well into October. And I'd caught a lot late-September, early October the year before.

Was busy in college until last Friday so didn't get a chance to get out this year. Might chance it anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's worth standing at the end of nimos pier and casting when the tide is high, you might get some pollock or something. a mak if you're lucky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement