Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work opportunities in New Zealand!!!

Options
  • 09-04-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I am looking into making the move to New Zealand but the decision to move will be dependent on the job opportunities there. I would be willing to re-locate to almost anywhere however I expect most of the jobs in my field are based in larger towns and cities.

I am a qualified chartered accountant with approx 3 years post qualification experience. Just wondering if anyone out there might have an idea of what the market is like there at the moment and what areas are best to re-locate to?

Cheers,
    HS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Wellington, Auckland or Christchurch are the big cities with most options. Smaller regional centres like Napier, New Plymouth, Dunedin etc might also have opportunities.

Why don't you take a look at the job websites www.seek.co.nz or www.trademe.co.nz and get a feel for it thatway...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭larsson7

Whats your experience in bud?
    I'm working in a CA firm in Auckland, can provide any advice ya need...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Humble Spud

Yeah figured the cities are my best options, have looked on seek.co.nz and have spoken to some recruiters and they seem relatively optimistic which looks positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Robin Craig

Yes best to try and work in the cities better pay and opportunities, Christchurch is going to have a huge amount of work for the next 5 to 10 years due to the huge construction projects - these in turn will generate plenty of opportunities for accountants so maybe a good option...great thing about Christchurch if you like the outdoors you are within a few hours of all the great outdoor activities - ski-ing in Queenstown, whale watching in Kaikoura, glacier trekking in Frans Josef, mountain biking and the list just goes on..go for it and enjoy yourself - i spent 8 weeks there in 2000 loved it and hope to go back again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Has any work actually started in Christchurch though?

• Advertisement

Good stuff. I was hoping to spend the winter in Wanaka pclancy, you any experience of it?

Gorgeous place with lakes, mountains and plenty of stuff to see and do. Fishing, Hiking, Watersports etc. Queenstown on one side and the lovely Haast pass on the other so lots of amazing nature and in winter plenty of skiing.

There's a really cool little Cinema there that I always drop in to.

EDIT http://www.paradiso.net.nz/about_the_cinema.html

Sounds great. Ive managed to make a good wedge in Wellington so hope to pick up some casual work to pay my rent and for the odd gargle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Robin Craig

Yes the work has started, the last 12 months has been slow as the insurance companies are wrangling over who is paying for what but now the demolition work and renovation work is well under way and they are also starting some of the new build work also. Christchurch is the place to be over the next 5 to 8 years for construction related work - loads of jobs and money to be made which is the opposite of Ireland at the moment...and the cost of living over there is much cheaper than here in Ireland:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Yes the work has started, the last 12 months has been slow as the insurance companies are wrangling over who is paying for what but now the demolition work and renovation work is well under way and they are also starting some of the new build work also. Christchurch is the place to be over the next 5 to 8 years for construction related work - loads of jobs and money to be made which is the opposite of Ireland at the moment...and the cost of living over there is much cheaper than here in Ireland:)

Is the cost of living much cheaper?

I turned down a construction job which was $55,000 NZ a year, I was told by a friend there, if I am heading to that side of the world I should probably go to OZ..

Is NZ visa's the same as OZ where as if you're over 30/31 you won't get the WHV?

The cost of living is not much cheaper than Ireland. Auckland ranks above Dublin on this list for example.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_current.jsp

People come here and are careful with their money, as they are far from home, have no support and need money to get back. As opposed to at home where they blow their money in buying crap they dont need and in the pub. This shouldnt be mixed up with cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

top madra wrote: »
    Is the cost of living much cheaper?

I turned down a construction job which was $55,000 NZ a year, I was told by a friend there, if I am heading to that side of the world I should probably go to OZ..

Is NZ visa's the same as OZ where as if you're over 30/31 you won't get the WHV?

yes the whv for nz is the same as oz but i don't think there is a regional work option where you can get an extra year.

There is also bunac where you can get a visa for nz up to the age of 35.

Some stuff is cheaper and some stuff way more expensive then back home but I feel far richer then I ever did in Ireland due to the outdoors lifestyle and higher quality of life.

Its not really a country you'll get rich in unless youre on big bucks.

They have an outdoors in Ireland now too! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

CiaranC wrote: »
    They have an outdoors in Ireland now too! ;)

not one with 22C+ days and sunshine all summer with lovely warm water they don't :pac:
    It's so much greener than at home here too, you start to realise Ireland countryside is all brown, not the bright green we're famous for.

You must have had a different summer than we did in Wellington this year. Where do you suppose all the greenery came from?

*edit*

New Plymouth gets twice as much rainfall as Dublin.

http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/data.pl?ref=S39E174+2100+93308W
    http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/data.pl?ref=N53W006+2100+03969W

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

CiaranC wrote: »
    You must have had a different summer than we did in Wellington this year. Where do you suppose all the greenery came from?

*edit*

New Plymouth gets twice as much rainfall as Dublin.

http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/data.pl?ref=S39E174+2100+93308W
    http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/data.pl?ref=N53W006+2100+03969W

yeah, it may well do but it tends to fall much more concentrated, not a constant grey drizzle for days on end. It also has double the sunshine hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

speaking as an accountant living in auckland you'll have no problem finding work here, just don't expect to walk into a job straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fizzlefozzle

I stayed in Auckland for a month or two a while ago.

If you need somewhere to stay that's relatively cheap and not in your face by 'general backpackers' then lookup 'The Red Monkey'.

I found the place really great, and it's accessible enough, and I stayed there during the Rugby. The people are more professionals looking for work, or couples doing work, and the atmosphere was pretty friendly.

That is if you plan to stay in Auckland for some time, then set up for like a couple of weeks in that place, and give it a go, and i think the owner gives you a deal.

I met a civil engineer with couple of years experience, just walked into a job there, and he was from England.

Was also in New Plymouth, over christmas, was nice.

If I was offered a job in New Zealand I would take it, but if you are guarenteed a job in Oz, then I'd pop over to Oz and grab one there instead.

Both countries are really great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Humble Spud

Cheers for the replies and suggestions people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭comeback_kid

not one with 22C+ days and sunshine all summer with lovely warm water they don't :pac:
    It's so much greener than at home here too, you start to realise Ireland countryside is all brown, not the bright green we're famous for.

ireland is greener than new zealand on an overall basis , canterbury for example requires irrigation on its farms , drought is a real problem in many parts of new zealand in summer , southland is most similar to ireland in climate and landscape

Advertisement