Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Crockett Legacy

Options
  • 09-04-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Brockagh wrote: »
    If he likes Midleton, what about the Barry Crockett Legacy? It's about 160 euro, I think.

I'm looking for a new bottle and was leaning towards the above but the price tag is a little off putting.

Is it justitifed?

would i get more bang for buck with something like a powers john lane or any other reccomendations?

was hoping to come in under 100e

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You have to assess your means and your pallete for yourself and work out a budget. Generally speaking, I take the view that my pallete is just about refined enough to drink €50 bottles of whiskey. However, if I won the lotto tonight I might fin it expanding considerably into the whiskeys worth several hundred euro or more.

I haven't tried the Barry Crockett, most reviews have been of disappointment - I'm sure it's very good, but not as amazing as you'd expect a pps midleton at 165 to be.

For all bottles above 100 there is only one thing to do - try before you buy. Unfortunately, idl don't seem too keen on 50cl versions of midleton. So head up to l mulligan grocers and have a glass of it to see if you like it. It's probably 12-15 per glass, but if you don't like it you'll have saved yourself 150 quid, plus enjoyed a glass of whiskey in pleasant surroundings.

For my money, I'd buy 3 50 whiskeys instead. There is more variety between the different distillers than there is between the different products from each.

Powers johns lane, red breast 12 and new greenspot are pps for under 50; powers 12, writers tears and old greenspot are pot still blends under 50 afaik.

Redbreast 15 is about 75-80 and writers tears cask stength is c. 120 (with two glencairn glasses).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Sound advice.

I mostly drink greenspot and RB 12yo.

Was looking for a new "special occassioin" bottle.

Trying to stay Irish but I might have to go futher a field. I don't see much challening the RB 12yo at the sort of budget I have. I'm partial to a middleton rare but can't justify the price.

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Maybe buy the minis at the Celtic Whiskey Shop. It contains Redbreast 12, Green Spot, Powers John's Lane and the Barry Crockett. Maybe not worth it if you've tasted all the others. I think it might be 40 euro for four 50ml tubes.

Personally, I think the Barry Crockett is very, very good, although I have not spashed out on a bottle yet. Powers John's lane is good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Have enjoyed this a few times. The price is justified by the age and quality of the whiskey contained within.
    It's best thought of as a more robust version of the equally expensive Midleton VR.
    If you're a potstill drinker, I can't recommend the Powers Johns Lane highly enough. I think it's the best value whiskey on the planet right now.
    For a step up in price for a special occasion bottle, perhaps consider the Redbreast Cask Strength or the 15 yo?

Have enjoyed this a few times. The price is justified by the age and quality of the whiskey contained within.
    It's best thought of as a more robust version of the equally expensive Midleton VR.
    If you're a potstill drinker, I can't recommend the Powers Johns Lane highly enough. I think it's the best value whiskey on the planet right now.
    For a step up in price for a special occasion bottle, perhaps consider the Redbreast Cask Strength or the 15 yo?

I think after that statment I can't turn down the powers at the price :)

With RB I actually prefer the 12yo to the 15 But I've only hand the 15yo in the pub when I had other drink taken so not a great place to judge.

cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

The 15 yo is lovely, though the vintages vary ever so slightly.
    I'd heavily recommend the cask strength RB though. The casks are all very carefully chosen, so it has a different flavour profile to the standard RB, even when diluted down with water. An absolutely delectable drop it is.
    If you were considering spending the price of the Barry Crockett on whiskey, you could do a lot worse than pick up the Johns Lane AND the RB CS or 15 yo, and still pocket a score or more!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

All good advice there ... and price is seriously subjective and personal.

I too have a hard time justifying big bucks for super premium bottles.

All I will say is if you like Midleton VR you will love The Barry Crocket. It is a super whiskey but the hard thing is always can you justify the price.

The John's Lane is one of my favourites and definitely worth every single cent.

Just a heads up there will be a "Whisky Live" in the Mansion house in May and that is a great way to taste these super premium whiskies.

Just google Whisky Live Dublin.

All good advice there ... and price is seriously subjective and personal.

I too have a hard time justifying big bucks for super premium bottles.

All I will say is if you like Midleton VR you will love The Barry Crocket. It is a super whiskey but the hard thing is always can you justify the price.

The John's Lane is one of my favourites and definitely worth every single cent.

Just a heads up there will be a "Whisky Live" in the Mansion house in May and that is a great way to taste these super premium whiskies.

Just google Whisky Live Dublin.

Thanks for that.

Are the VIP tickets worth the extra money?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

ntlbell wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Are the VIP tickets worth the extra money?

To be honest I have no idea, I have actually booked them this year just to see what they are like but I would say it is safer to stick with the regular ones if it is your first Whiskey Expo. You can still taste all the same stuff and even if you have to buy extra tokens you will still probably not exceed the VIP ticket. Technically it is one token for a regular whisky and possibly 3 tokens for a super premium whiskey but very often these are not asked for ;)

I have been to a few Whisky Live's and it has been going for years now but only came to Dublin for the first time last year.

The VIP ticket only came in in 2010 and I've heard pro's and con's for it. However as the Irish one will basically be mainly Irish Whiskey there will not be too many Irish whiskeys (if any) only for VIP's. I think the main benifits will be better food and a VIP lounge area for chilling out and a few extra goodies in you bag and I think I read you get a Tasting Note Journal which you can use to write your tasting notes into..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Where can i get the Powers John Lane in south dublin/kildare. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

You can get it in the Celtic Whiskey Shop and Redmonds in Ranelagh. I'm sure they'd have it in Deveney's in Dundrum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Thanks

Advertisement