Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thinking of buying an iPhone 4s unwanted upgrade what do I need to lookout for?

• 09-04-2012 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭

So looking at adverts.ie 16gb iPhone 4s some are new unwanted upgrades just want to know if buying 1 what do I need to look out for ie do I need to get seller to contact operator to change ownership? Etc? Any help appreciated! Also would be using 3pay and if it's a 3 contract 4s any issue using a Pre-pay sim in it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

So looking at adverts.ie 16gb iPhone 4s some are new unwanted upgrades just want to know if buying 1 what do I need to look out for ie do I need to get seller to contact operator to change ownership? Etc? Any help appreciated! Also would be using 3pay and if it's a 3 contract 4s any issue using a Pre-pay sim in it?
    Would be careful when buying second hand as obviously the phone would still be under contract. First thing to do would be make sure that your sim works in the phone. Would also make sure that you get a name and address and something in writing to say that you bought the phone. Have heard of networks blacklisting phones for non payment of bills. This could leave you with a bricked phone. Just a case of make sure that you have all bases covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Do have your scam antennae fully deployed! I'm surprised that with a phose as desirable and sought after as an iPhone 4S that there are so many "unwanted upgrades".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

swampy353 wrote: »
    Would be careful when buying second hand as obviously the phone would still be under contract. First thing to do would be make sure that your sim works in the phone. Would also make sure that you get a name and address and something in writing to say that you bought the phone. Have heard of networks blacklisting phones for non payment of bills. This could leave you with a bricked phone. Just a case of make sure that you have all bases covered

3 are definitely blacklisting phones when people skip on the bill, and that might not happen until a month later.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are Meteor blacklisting, seems to be a lot of them on donedeal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Blacklisting for non payment and also insurance scams are all too common at the moment. I've heard of a lot of people including myself who have been caught ( not an iPhone but similar smart phone ) be cagey who you buy from and get his details etc when you buy along with some sort of receipt.

Remember a blacklisted phone in some cases will work ok for a few mins after turning on so be sure to give it a good trial and take your time to check it can make outgoing calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Sounds like its not worth the risk better off biting the bullet and buying a paygo or direct from Apple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Sounds like its not worth the risk better off biting the bullet and buying a paygo or direct from Apple

I wouldn't say that either, just . .

• Make sure you buy one thats sealed in the box and check it and the contents before you finalize sale.
    • Check the warranty status on Apple.ie to ensure its not a chinese copy.
    • Anybody genuine won't mind you collecting the phone at their home. Dont meet at a random location unless you're looking for trouble.
    • Make sure you get a receipt, if things go wrong it will give you a leg to stand on.

Advertisement