Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moths!

• 09-04-2012 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

This is not a women's issue but I did not know where else to post as I cannot find a housekeeping thread anywhere.

Can anyone advise me on how to get rid of house moths? I have agreed to stay at a friends country property for two years while she is abroad. Alot of the house is damp and unused. There are moths everywhere. I cannot use the wardrobes as they all smell damp, so I brought a clothes rail with me. I find moths on my clohes and am really concerned about my coats. I have even had to throw a jumper away because I found larvae on it :eek: Please don't recommend moth balls as they smell even worse than the damp wardrobe. I am at my wits end.
    I cannot move out because I need to be here for her three dogs, two cats and numerous horses..

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Probably get more answers here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Try some of that Raid spray (it comes in two colours - red and blue, think the red one is for spiders though it's almost instant for flies, moths etc) and spray them whenever you see them, works a treat.

What you could do is, when you are going out during the day or going to bed a night is spray some of that raid around the rooms and keep all the windows and doors closed so it will work better, and maybe even faster. I'd say do it when you go to bed at night or work during the day because then the doors/windows will be closed for a number of hours. If you go in and out of the room and open the doors/windows the spray won't work as well as it will be escaping through open doors/window.

I personally think your friend should have ensued her house was fit for living in (without damp, moths etc) before asking you to move in, I think she was selfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

A relative of mine had a problem with moths in an old house, rosemary, lavender and cedar (shavings work best if you can get them or cedar oil on those wooden balls) are all natural repellents that you can use around your clothes without damaging them.
    You can get a piece of fabric, put in some cuttings of rosemary and lavender and tie with a bit of string and hang with clothes or put in coat pockets.
    I would also go the chemical route, sort one room first, completely free of moths and wash everything and move in there. Keep the repellents around and start on the next room.
    The house obviously needs airing and maybe a dehumidifier to get rid of damp.
    Moths are a serious problem to get rid of if they get into soft furnishings (carpets and curtains are common), you need to move furniture and look for infestations, maybe get a steamer cheap and steam all soft furnishings regularly for a few weeks.
    Sorry there is no quick way to get rid of them, they can do a lot of damage so keep an eye on them.
    Good luck, I would consider pest control if you can find one in Ireland that does moths, and bill your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Might also be worth investing in lavender bags to hang on your clothes rail. Apparently moths don't like lavender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

How damp is it?
    I'd be more worried about your health than a few moths to be honest.
    If it's severe it can lead to respiratory problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Would any of the cats be good at catching them? We had two a few years back that were brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Would any of the cats be good at catching them? We had two a few years back that were brilliant.

Just about to suggest that, mines a brilliant fly catcher! She'd be in her element in a house full of moths!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Just about to suggest that, mines a brilliant fly catcher! She'd be in her element in a house full of moths!

RIP to my moth catcher cat :( thou in fairness to him the dog has realized I don't like them and tries to catch them for me lol!!

They've started to show up in our house the last week or so - no messing I saw something on the loo roll yesterday and on closer inspection it was a pair of them in a compromising position!! :eek:

We had somebody staying with us a few years ago while they moved house (so room packed up with all their stuff)..they moved out and it seems they brought moths with them who decided to stay on. Even with the room stripped bare they must have infiltrated the rest of the house - as the weather gets better the house is full of them. I'm planning on stripping my room bare at the weekend, cleaning under the bed etc

Advertisement