Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun Maker Identity

Options
  • 09-04-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard of James & Roberts Birmingham, gunmakers. Have tried every searched engine for the past week and nothing. :confused:
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

There were literally hundreds if not thousands of gunmakers in the birmingham gun quarter over the years, many would have been very small concerns, maybe a couple of gunsmiths working together in a workshop rented from birmingham council or a larger gunmaker. I was looking for information on a reasonably large gunmaker called s.wright in birmingham , they were contractors for a lot of other well known makers, information was virtually non-existant.
    There is or was a london maker called james roberts. Have you tried the birmingham history forum ? They are very helpful and someone might know.
    another possibility is that the gun was made by the trade and retailed by someone called james-roberts , this happened a lot , army and navy csl being a good example , the guns were marked with their name but were usually made by westley richards , bsa or webley etc.
    http://www.jroberts-gunmakers.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

rowa wrote: »
    There were literally hundreds if not thousands of gunmakers in the birmingham gun quarter over the years, many would have been very small concerns, maybe a couple of gunsmiths working together in a workshop rented from birmingham council or a larger gunmaker. I was looking for information on a reasonably large gunmaker called s.wright in birmingham , they were contractors for a lot of other well known makers, information was virtually non-existant.
    There is or was a london maker called james roberts. Have you tried the birmingham history forum ? They are very helpful and someone might know.
    another possibility is that the gun was made by the trade and retailed by someone called james-roberts , this happened a lot , army and navy csl being a good example , the guns were marked with their name but were usually made by westley richards , bsa or webley etc.
    http://www.jroberts-gunmakers.co.uk/

Thanks for that,I was amazed at the amount of gun makers in Birmingham. I checked James Roberts but its not the same. I will try the History Forum.

Advertisement