Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect a gas hob where there is gas central heating?

• 09-04-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,
    Does anyone have any idea how much it might cost to install a new gas hob/ electric oven combo into a space where there was a stand alone electric oven?
    The house has gas central heating but I dont see any (visible) gas connection to where the cooker is. The gas boiler is no more than 6 feet from where the hob would be going if that helps!
    I'm a bit clueless about what would be involved in this. Gas would be my preference for cooking but it if was going to cost a fortune I would just go with a stand alone electric cooker instead.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

Any gas work has to be done by a certified gas installer, it's the law!

If the gas supply is close by, then it shouldn't be too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AquaDaisy

Thanks DolanBaker for the reply. Any idea of a ballpark figure for the gas part? There would be some kitchen units 'in the way' potentially. Just trying to figure out if I'm looking a hundreds or multiples of that! :-)

I'm not sure, a couple of hundred should cover it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

AquaDaisy wrote: »
    Thanks DolanBaker for the reply. Any idea of a ballpark figure for the gas part? There would be some kitchen units 'in the way' potentially. Just trying to figure out if I'm looking a hundreds or multiples of that! :-)

its good if the boiler is not too far from the cooker site , its possible to put a conection in , there is a registered Rgi guy in the advert section of boards who will help you out he has a blue van on the advert .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

AquaDaisy wrote: »
    Gas would be my preference for cooking but it if was going to cost a fortune I would just go with a stand alone electric cooker instead.

Gas Hob & Electric Fan Oven is the perfect combination, go for it! It's a one-off cost which will be well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

Its not just as easy as to fit the new hob. The installer will have to make sure the pipe is large enough to cope with the added gas supply needed. It usually is but not always. Also that the gas meter is the correct size, this could need changing. Use a registered gas installer. Rgi.ie
    Gas hob and elec oven is the way to go though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

sorry just re-read your post, have you factored in the cost of new counter tops, maybe a gas top and elec oven freestanding combo would be another option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

wytch wrote: »
    sorry just re-read your post, have you factored in the cost of new counter tops, maybe a gas top and elec oven freestanding combo would be another option.

Good point. OP you will be installing either a freestanding combo or you will need to get your kitchen surface extended into the space to take a standalone hob and under it you will be installing a 600 mm (width) single oven which will need a plinth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

based on what you've said - usually in the €200 range inc, get an rgi to look at it and he should be able to tell you on the spot.

waits for all the doomsday scenarios......

Advertisement