Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vectrex Stuff

Options
  • 09-04-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭

I came across this updated romset for the Vectrex(updated February 2012).
    Seeing as its all freeware and legally safe to redistribute I thought I'd share it here for those with an emulator or more importantly a flash cart for the real deal.
    Most of the stuff I've found before this included about 70 roms, this one has well over 300(although a lot are the same game but with different revisions etc) and includes games, demos, applications and compilations.

Some really interesting bits in it like pokemon demos, Etch-a-Sketch and loads more.
    I'm really looking forward to testing these on my flash cart when it arrives as they look very interesting on the emulator.

Link(1.4MB):
    http://www.retrovia.ie/dls/Vectrex.rar

Emulator Link(Actually comes with all the official games and some homebrew as well as all the overlays, but you can load other roms from the above download):
    http://www.vectrex.fr/ParaJVE/

And just worth mentioning again, this is all legally free to share. So mods don't be banning me :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Was only playing Para the other day on my craptop, so couldn't the glow effect wasn't supported.

I love how you can tweak the thickness and brightness of the vectors and such,
    I need to give it a go on my desktop soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

waveform wrote: »
    Was only playing Para the other day on my craptop, so couldn't the glow effect wasn't supported.

I love how you can tweak the thickness and brightness of the vectors and such,
    I need to give it a go on my desktop soon.

No, no you don't need to play it on the desktop, or crap top for that matter.

You need to get with the hip kids and buy a Vectrex!

It really is the ultimate retrogaming console.

It enshrines everything wonderful about this hobby.

It's not prohibitively expensive.

The lovely Mr Hutchinson will provide you with the means to play every game ever made for the machine.

You can, with effort, make your own acetates for it too.

It is a must have, beyond the MD, the Snes, the PC Engine etc.

Buy one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It's true, emulation just cant match the real deal and its vector screen.

Phosphorus mmmmmmmmmmm.

homer%20simpson.jpg

This is the first Vectrex game I've seen which uses PCM audio! :)

*EEK!*

Didn't even know it could play back PCM before seeing it
    Is there any other games that do it?

This demo looks really cool also, I'd love to hear the music on the real thing:

Check out these reproduction Vectrex Overlays on ebay:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320857286678+

$(KGrHqN,!oME8Vb!EgeUBPSw2(RCYw~~60_12.JPG

At $10 each they seem pretty affordable too.

There is no price for international shipping however.

You can diy that **** also, but might be more effort than it's worth:

http://maxwell.fief.org/overlay.html

• Advertisement

Here's the main site:

http://www.vectrexoverlays.com/Vectrex/Welcome.html

Choice of overlays for Original & Homebrew Games.

Theres some "Scratch & Dent" Overlays going for $5 also.

And here is the sellers thread on the atari age forums:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/194892-finally-vectrex-overlay-repros/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Here's the main site:

http://www.vectrexoverlays.com/Vectrex/Welcome.html

Choice of overlays for Original & Homebrew Games.

Theres some "Scratch & Dent" Overlays going for $5 also.

And here is the sellers thread on the atari age forums:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/194892-finally-vectrex-overlay-repros/

Go on CiDeRmAn, you know you need them :) its all your Vectrex is missing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nope man, they are way too expensive and I have other things I'd rather spend my retrogaming euro on.
    There are ways to make your own overlays, or just enjoy the naked white lines on a black background look, like I do!

I might buy one of those new repro overlays and see how it looks compared to the original.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    or just enjoy the naked white lines on a black background look, like I do!

As a soon to be vectrex owner I must refute that statement! ;)
    Coloured overlays are essential!*

*From someone who has never actually played the vectrex. :o
    Steve SI wrote: »
    I might buy one of those new repro overlays and see how it looks compared to the original.

Sweet! I might have my first guinea pig! ;)

• Advertisement

On a serious note though, I probably wouldn't be too bothered about having one overlay per each game.

Plain ones of each colour would be fine for me, except for games that really make good use of an intricate design.

I think this homebrew game + overlay looks seriously good, probably the best use of colour i've seen:

The reproducer guy should probably make some generic plain overlays with a vectrex logo to suit that "market"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Plain ones of each colour would be fine for me

But unless they're adding an extra dimension to the game, they're utterly pointless. Why anyone would wanna cover a Vectrex screen with a generic coloured blank overlay is beyond me :confused:

EnterNow wrote: »
    But unless they're adding an extra dimension to the game, they're utterly pointless. Why anyone would wanna cover a Vectrex screen with a generic coloured blank overlay is beyond me :confused:

I'm with you Brother Enternow...
    Unless they add to the game don't bother, and tbh none of the overlays, even the official ones, add an awful lot.
    They're great for completists, but then they will want originals rather than repros anyhow.

Still, it's interesting.
    I wonder if some acetates, some indelible markers and correction fluid plus a steady hand wouldn't provide some sort of alternate path to overlay fun and frolics.
    I have heard of people doing just that and have some success with the method.

Changing the colour from white to another makes a huge difference imo...
    for someone that has no overlays already.

Take games like hyperchase for example,
    it's all green with the exception of blue for the mountains.

There are mainy other games that are solely green, so it would be more cost effective to buy generic green overlay, for people who just want green vectors.

Especially someone who solely bought a multicart.

People could buy 3 or 4 colours fairly cheap, and use them on each games they think they go best with in that colour.

Rather than forking out for the originals, that are commonly worn or marked, or even forking out a good bit more for the really mint ones.

I can see where you were coming from though. Personally I'd like to have a few of the generic and non-generic.

Forgot to mention also, that I have a fetish for Green on black and blue on black when it comes to these things! ;)

The plain white wouldn't turn on as much visually.

I'll prob end up buying an oldskool oscilloscope at some stage also for monitoring waveforms from music gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Changing the colour from white to another makes a huge difference imo...
    for someone that has no overlays already.

Take games like hyperchase for example,
    it's all green with the exception of blue for the mountains.

There are mainy other games that are solely green, so it would be more cost effective to buy generic green overlay, for people who just want green vectors.

Especially someone who solely bought a multicart.

People could buy 3 or 4 colours fairly cheap, and use them on each games they think they go best with in that colour.

Rather than forking out for the originals, that are commonly worn or marked, or even forking out a good bit more for the really mint ones.

I can see where you were coming from though. Personally I'd like to have a few of the generic and non-generic.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for overlays, but just blank coloured overlays? I see no point whatsoever. The screen is too cool to cover up for no reason

Edit - If green on black is your thing thats grand. I'd just be wary of those repro overlays lowering the contrast/smudging the image

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Wouldn't bother with repro's myself. Get the originals for collection sake but tbh the naked screen looks better imo.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for overlays, but just blank coloured overlays? I see no point whatsoever. The screen is too cool to cover up for no reason

Edit - If green on black is your thing thats grand. I'd just be wary of those repro overlays lowering the contrast/smudging the image

It will be interesting to see how they compare for sure.

You have to remember too that this guy isn't some business shark, he's just a vectrex lover that wants to have some really clear overlays for his multicart which are not degraded and scratched to death over the years.

And in actual fact the repro's have the potential to be better than the more tattered overlays out there when it comes to not smudging the screen.

If you haven't read his posts yet, it's recommended and pretty insightful,
    and with the equipment he's using there's not a whole of profit to be made:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/194892-finally-vectrex-overlay-repros/page__view__findpost__p__2478670

I'm honestly delighted he's he's commited to this, especially for Homebrew games which don't really have overlays out there that you can buy right now, its a nice addition to prolong the Vectrex scene.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with repro's myself. Get the originals for collection sake but tbh the naked screen looks better imo.

I can totally understand that.

I'm definitely only a gamer and not a collector myself, i should have stressed that so people would know where I'm coming from.

Since I've never seen a Vectrex in my (real) life, then I could be wrong about preferring the coloured vectors, but at least from looking at videos or photos, I prefer the coloured ones more.

Since I've never seen a Vectrex in my (real) life, then I could be wrong about preferring the coloured vectors, but at least from looking at videos or photos, I prefer the coloured ones more.

I'd say wait until you get your hands on the Vectrex for real before forking out 10 quid + shipping for a repro. I have a few originals and while a little scratched or faded they felt like a novelty - nice to own a few samples but much prefer the white lines for playing. You'll be stunned at how awesome and clear it looks naked. :)

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'd say wait until you get your hands on the Vectrex for real before forking out 10 quid + shipping for a repro. I have a few originals and while a little scratched or faded they felt like a novelty - nice to own a few samples but much prefer the white lines for playing. You'll be stunned at how awesome and clear it looks naked. :)

It's true, the thing looks so nice naked.
    But I'm still going to order 1 Scramble repro just to see how it looks with the original one I have. My original is very scratched and smudged and you just cant use it while playing.

But damn the screen on these things looks nice naked :)

Steve SI wrote: »
    It's true, the thing looks so nice naked.
    But I'm still going to order 1 Scramble repro just to see how it looks with the original one I have. My original is very scratched and smudged and you just cant use it while playing.

But damn the screen on these things looks nice naked :)

If even the mint condition original overlays degrade the clarity that much, then I can totally understand now why people prefer it naked!

I never even considered that and assumed it would be pretty much the same!

Seems like its something truly only understandable when you actually see it in the flesh,
    and if so, then It looks like I'm in for a serious treat! :)

Just ordered one of the repro overlays.
    Total came to 11.40 euro inc postage from the US.

If even the mint condition original overlays degrade the clarity that much, then I can totally understand now why people prefer it naked!

I never even considered that and assumed it would be pretty much the same!

Seems like its something truly only understandable when you actually see it in the flesh,
    and if so, then It looks like I'm in for a serious treat! :)

I assumed you had some personal experience of the machine, given how strong your opinions on it has been!

It is a must have, no doubts.

I have a great story of how I got mine, others may have similar, at the very least when they opening the packing container to view the delicate payload within, powering it up and playing their first game of Minestorm, that soothing buzz, the nice controller....
    Email Richard Hutchinson and waiting for yet another wonderful device to pop into your life....
    Good times man, good times...

I assumed you had some personal experience of the machine, given how strong your opinions on it has been!

It is a must have, no doubts.

I have a great story of how I got mine, others may have similar, at the very least when they opening the packing container to view the delicate payload within, powering it up and playing their first game of Minestorm, that soothing buzz, the nice controller....
    Email Richard Hutchinson and waiting for yet another wonderful device to pop into your life....
    Good times man, good times...

Strong opinions from watching on youtube more like haha!:P

I think you'll need to post your story up! (Along with pics of your retro collection you mentioned a few times ;))

I'll be emailing Richard for that multicart tomorrow for sure. Thanks!

These were the repro dudes final prices anyways:

1 overlay = $9.99/each
    5 overlays = $9.49/each
    10 overlays = $8.99/each
    20 overlays = $8.49/each
    20+ overlays = $7.99/each

Forgot to mention also, that I have a fetish for Green on black and blue on black when it comes to these things! ;)

I'll prob end up buying an oldskool oscilloscope at some stage also for monitoring waveforms from music gear.

And speaking of blue on black waveforms, time to restore the old sig.

I don't think I've posted outside of A&R for a while now!

Apologies If it seems like I'm spamming the thread, but I just have found a year old thread of another member offering Silk Screened repros of just Minestorm and Pole Position, which he says offer better "colour registration" than the original overlays.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/180571-screen-printed-reproduction-overlays-for-vectrex-options-now-forsale/page__st__25

overlay_flyer.jpg

The same guy owns the www.vectrex.co.uk website.

Of course I would have to find this after Steve already made his order! :rolleyes: Sorry dude.

Also in that thread a guy posted a pic of his arcade-cab style vinyl decals.
    I'm not sure would collectors dream of using these on their vectrex! I do think they look kind of cool though!

YASI-PROTECTOR_WRAP.jpg

The "new" repro dude mentioned something about making vinyl decals also.

Those overlays look great, but the vinyls?
    You might as well stick a "Dominos Pizza" logo on the side of a Ferrari, or in Pdbhp's case, the side of a awe-inspiring Micra!

Those overlays look great, but the vinyls?
    You might as well stick a "Dominos Pizza" logo on the side of a Ferrari, or in Pdbhp's case, the side of a awe-inspiring Micra!

:D

They do give it an arcade style look though! But i can see how they look tacky!

• Advertisement

Those vinyl yokes look rancid. Worse than that Incredible Hulk Snes or whatever posted recently. Folk like that shouldn't be allowed own machines if that's what they are doing to them.

Advertisement