Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vectrex Stuff

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I didn't know it locked their Paypal account. That's pretty hardcore stuff! I guess it stops them withdrawing everything and doing a legger.

Yep to the best of my knowledge, the account in dispute is frozen & they can't withdraw funds from it. They can still accept payments inwards, but the money remains static until the dispute is resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yep to the best of my knowledge, the account in dispute is frozen & they can't withdraw funds from it. They can still accept payments inwards, but the money remains static until the dispute is resolved.

In my experience before I closed my Paypal account that's how it works. It happened to me when I was selling a large batch of stuff and it was actually Paypal that froze my account and it took weeks to prove the stock I had existed and was completely legal.
    Then I continued to sell what I had and a month later they did the same thing, but this time they held the funds for 6 months until releasing them.
    Needless to say this messed up my paypal account no end and I wont go into details but it destroyed my eBay account as well as people were filing for refunds and all sorts of other issues because of them freezing over 10,000 euro on me.

In the end(6 months later) they unfroze the account after many hoops were jumped through and many letters from my solicitors. There wasn't much left of the money after all the refunds and I closed my paypal account and ebay account.

I opened a new eBay account last year to use as a buyer only and it'll stay that way. I don't have a paypal account any more and never will again. I pay for everything that requires a paypal payment with my credit card directly.

/rant/sad story over

Steve SI wrote: »
    In my experience before I closed my Paypal account that's how it works. It happened to me when I was selling a large batch of stuff and it was actually Paypal that froze my account and it took weeks to prove the stock I had existed and was completely legal.
    Then I continued to sell what I had and a month later they did the same thing, but this time they held the funds for 6 months until releasing them.
    Needless to say this messed up my paypal account no end and I wont go into details but it destroyed my eBay account as well as people were filing for refunds and all sorts of other issues because of them freezing over 10,000 euro on me.

In the end(6 months later) they unfroze the account after many hoops were jumped through and many letters from my solicitors. There wasn't much left of the money after all the refunds and I closed my paypal account and ebay account.

I opened a new eBay account last year to use as a buyer only and it'll stay that way. I don't have a paypal account any more and never will again. I pay for everything that requires a paypal payment with my credit card directly.

/rant/sad story over

I remember once selling something, & having about €4k transferred into my PP a/c. Same thing, it automatically gets frozen once a large enough sum of money is transferred around. No solicitors letters or anything, I just had to wait a while for them to clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

4k? Did you receive it as a gift or did paypal take a massive commission out of that?

Once I was looking into ways of having someone send me around 1500, but the paypal cut was far too big and he didn't want to mark it as a gift.

4k? Did you receive it as a gift or did paypal take a massive commission out of that?

Once I was looking into ways of having someone send me around 1500, but the paypal cut was far too big and he didn't want to mark it as a gift.

PayPal did take a commission out it, which I agreed to re-charge to the buyer, it could have even been included in the 4k...not too sure. Large sums though can be expensive & hassle to run through PP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

lol!

An awesome new Vectrex Demo:

God damn it I can't wait til Richard H gets those multicarts back in stock!

Master of the Universe

I really do love all this veccy homebrew stuff. Hardware wise, it's one of the most unique piece of equipment out there for projects like this. If I was able to code games myself I'd be all over it.

Have a cap kit ordered now for my own one. Fingers crossed it can help bring it back to life!

I wonder if it's hard to programe for?

EnterNow wrote: »
    I wonder if it's hard to programe for?

Well you'd be programming for the MC6809 processor so you could do a bit of research that way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's all great, stop ruining the magic by talking processors!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's all great, stop ruining the magic by talking processors!

Sorry to ruin the magic even further but,

Click for biggie.
    vectrexlogicboard.jpg

On a more positive note I found a nice little utility to convert C code (which I'm good at) to Assembly (which most Vectrex games are coded in and I'm crap at).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Click for biggie.
    vectrexlogicboard.jpg

My gods!
    It's nude!

NSFW!

Just when you thought the level of Vectrex smuttiness had peaked in this thread,
    with talk of vinyl coverings, and naked pics....

I thought I'd bring it to a whole new level of smuttiness...

Introducing my latest accessory for the Vectrex....

My handmade pleather Vectrex Gimp Mask!* :D

jFMk8.jpg

Purchased from the lovely couple at the Papa*nannysfunstuff Ebay store!

Check them out, they also make these for other vintage consoles!

The embroidery work on the logo is beautiful!

wje2t.jpg

Nanny was so nice, she even left me a personalized message on the receipt: :)

QmpiM.jpg

There's a video of it here from VectrexMad, just to show you how much of a nice fit it is....

Absolutely delighted with my purchase, and only came to a little over 30 euro after 2 bids with registered shipping from the United States!

*Note:

(May also be used as a dust cover! ;))

Master of the Universe

WANT!!!

WANT!!!

Keep an eye on their ebay, they pop up every week or so!

If they stop popping up, you could always ask by e-mail!

I had an eye on that cover myself. Looks well so I think I'll get one when they make a few more.
    Does it fit very well over the Vectrex itself, as in a nice tight fit?

I had an eye on that cover myself. Looks well so I think I'll get one when they make a few more.
    Does it fit very well over the Vectrex itself, as in a nice tight fit?

Fit's like a glove man!

It has a diagonal shape at the back half!

The only parts that aren't tight are to be expected,

i.e the controller door - as the Vectrex case comes out over that area like canapy,

and the Top corner at the back of the console where the slant is! :)

Been spending the last few mins stroking the thing, as it's so damn soft haha!

waveform wrote: »
    Been spending the last few mins stroking the thing, as it's so damn soft haha!

Ciderman has a similar affliction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I'm going to try repair mine as that B***** that sold it to me is ignoring my paypal dispute, so i just escalated it to a claim! Not sure how it all works but maybe i will get my money back, i have taken photo's if needs be.

Few things I learned today:

1. Vectrex Games are seriously ****ing addictive.

2. Overlays are awesome!

3. Starhawk is a savage fast paced SHMUP with lots of destruction on offer.

4. Web Warp is the most high def game I've played in my life,
    those vector lines appear to get infinitely thin in the background.

5. If I don't learn to control my addiction, I'm going to fail my Network+ exam!

Started the repair as that dude is completely ignoring me, I'm using a UV based glue with some loctite 401, i will need to sand it down after wards. The chap i bought it off has his name and number burned into the sides with a solder iron.

7171674774_03fcb9a885_z.jpg

7171675428_2f86c8706e_z.jpg

7171675010_4a2baf061b_z.jpg

7171675176_c8e7472f92_z.jpg

7175376402_ee7e077795_z.jpg

7175372960_dbb2492f4a_z.jpg

Better than nothing I suppose :)

So it's working anyway, thought you mentioned the controllers didn't work or something?

The sticks are pushed in but they do work, buttons are stiff, I will dismantle and get them working better.

safetyboy wrote: »
    The sticks are pushed in but they do work, buttons are stiff, I will dismantle and get them working better.

If all else fails, buy the cheapest broken Veccie you can find...then just swap the innards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Started the repair as that dude is completely ignoring me, I'm using a UV based glue with some loctite 401, i will need to sand it down after wards. The chap i bought it off has his name and number burned into the sides with a solder iron.

Good work on the repairs dude. Wtf re: the above, he defaced it using a soldering iron? What sort of arsehole does that. :mad:

It's common for button 4 to be less responsive than the rest since most games use that button, be interesting to see how you get on though.

Need to get some atari combat carts to get the springs from, or is there anywhere else i can get the spring for the joystick from?

http://stiggyblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/vectrex-vs-vectrex/

My casing is pretty bad, gonna do a spray job on it, should i stick with black or try something else :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If it was me I'd be sticking with the original black and leaving alone the original logo areas. Your machine though. :)

Advertisement