Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vectrex Stuff

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

safetyboy wrote: »
    http://stiggyblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/vectrex-vs-vectrex/

My casing is pretty bad, gonna do a spray job on it, should i stick with black or try something else :)

If it's beyond ever looking original, then I think it's fair enough to do what you want with it. Maybe turn it into a mini candy cab? An off white colour with black trim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I shall call into All City and check the colours they have, after I have gotten the soldered name and number off each side. Maybe silver like the box it came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

I never knew about UV curing glues before, then again I am a total gloob.

(glue noob).

http://stiggyblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/vectrex-vs-vectrex/

My casing is pretty bad, gonna do a spray job on it, should i stick with black or try something else :)

If you make a balls of it you can always make it look pretty with some tacky vinyl decals, tart it up! ;)

I shall call into All City and check the colours they have, after I have gotten the soldered name and number off each side. Maybe silver like the box it came in?

Be sure to go with a Matt colour anyway if you're going for Black.

I sprayed my c64 psu brick black before, to go with the mb-6582,
    with some glossy metal paint spray thingy I saw on the shelf in Lidl.

Gloss gets destroyed in dust, and would give it a cheap shiny look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Fill in all the holes/cracks and respray and nice satin or matt black. Should come pretty close to the original colour. You'll need to use a plastic primer first though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Glad to see a Veccy has come back from the dead, even if it has a couple of scars.
    Well done Safetyboy, have lots of fun!

You know the one huge disadvantage of having glorious sunshine outside is daytime Vectrex playing.

I think I need to build some myself kind of light blocking fap closet, and cut some holes out of my Vectrex gimp mask.

Alternatively I could go out and exercise during the daytime, and play only at night...

but that requires too much effort tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

waveform wrote: »
    You know the one huge disadvantage of having glorious sunshine outside is daytime Vectrex playing.

I think I need to build some myself kind of light blocking fap closet, and cut some holes out of my Vectrex gimp mask.

Alternatively I could go out and exercise during the daytime, and play only at night...

but that requires too much effort tbh.

So, which is it gonna be? Wiifit, DDR, or Pokéwalker? :D

You know kids aren't such bad things to have after all...

For instance, You can get them to unpack things and set things up for you....

Ooooooooooh, suits you sir....oooooooooh

I may possibly have seen this already but OOOOOOOOOHHHH!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I want a copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops'ians!

^^^ heh heh!

Looks like papa*nannysfunstuff have made a more subtle Veccy t-shirt with an Embroided Vectrex logo:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261030107922&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:IE:1123#ht_500wt_970

$(KGrHqJHJC4E914wku6yBPvDcOUz-Q~~60_3.JPG

Picture ain't the greatest, but you get the idea.

Shipping from the states is a bit on the steep side @ €28,
    but maybe they can sort something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

A little sampler of a much longer video that will probably be of no interest to anyone except a few Vectrex fans.
    It's just me running through some games (both released, unreleased and homebrew) and some other non game homebrew on the Vectrex.

The full video will be about 40mins or there abouts.

And here's something that's a bit different to see running on the Vectrex, and I think it's kind of cool. It was really hard to get the camera to take a clear video as the the vector display was going nuts to draw the fullscreen images and was flickering like a mad yolk.
    Those without a Vectrex will probably think its no big deal to see a picture slideshow of this quality, but it is.

Those videos look great Steve.
    Will you be sending them onto the Wiki that has a vectrex introduction video?

This could act as a part 2 for fans.

The shot of the Vectrex and Mac next to each looks cool btw!

They compliment each others shape beautifully.

Richard H. e-mailed me today, he finally got the cases back in stock after waiting a few months for the supplier.

So finally I should have a VecMulti on the way soon. :)

Happy Days.

Had an idea regarding plain colour overlays for the Vectrex today.

When watching the Performance VX demo by Revival Studios,
    i held the Pole Position overlay upto my eye, so i was only staring through the blue bit to make all the vectors a blue colour.

Then it occured to me, instead of using plain coloured overlays, you could use tinted glasses!

Something like 3D glasses, but with both eyes the same colour.

If they were some what inter-changable / magnetic too it would be great,

This would reduce the wear and tear of game overlays also.

As posted in another thread, Vectrex Roli is uploading some outstanding Vectrex videos.
    The intro to the first one is hilarious, and all his videos are very informative and well presented.

VecMukti and Flashboy+

AtariVox demonstration:

Subscribe to or follow this thread to be updated on everything Vectrex!

Probably should have made a new thread instead of reanimate this one but its such a niche device will let it slide.
    Vectrex Roli is superb, just subscribed and watched a bunch of his videos.
    Unfortunately it just makes me upset as my Vectrex controller remains broken and I haven't a clue why.
    The buttons aren't responding, though the stick still works.
    I turned it off one night while it was fine, the next time none of the controller buttons function, no idea wtf is going on.
    Does anyone have a busted machine and would consider trading for the controller?
    I know a few here bought one but had nothing but sadness as the screens borked.
    Please?
    I don't fancy the process of opening this thing up!

I bumped the thread as i was thinking it would be a nice archive for Vectrex content, i guess if the chit chat was kept to a minimum it might be more concise and easier to read for new users coming across it.

I added Vectrex Roli on facebook, he goes under that name if anyone wants to add.

I've found a decent solution for storing Vectrex Overlays for easy access, if you don't like taking them out of the original packaging the whole time.....

BCW Comic Book Collector Starter Kit

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/comic-supplies/comic-book-collector-starter-kit-album

$T2eC16dHJHgE9n0yHB0pBQ6Hp2VL7!~~60_35.JPG

They also sell the binder on its own, and a 20 pack of the binder sleeves on their own, but this kit works out as the best value as you get 20 additional resealable covers with stiffners. The white stiffners show off the transparency of the overlay well as well as keep them firm.

Don't buy from the main website though as it will set you back at least $80 for the cheapest shipping option available.

I ordered mine from the seller X-Comics GmbH (92% positive feedback, such risk!) on amazon.de for €26 including shipping from Germany, as it was the best deal I could find:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00104CRJC/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

If you try ordering from the same seller on amazon.co.uk, it will say this item can't be shipped to Ireland.

There is 2 German sellers and 1 UK seller on amazon selling them,
    and there are 2 german sellers selling them on ebay, this guy is the cheaper seller and sells it for about €28 Delivered.

The width pretty much fits the overlays perfectly but not the length as you can see from these 2 photos, not sure how much longer the sleeves I ordered will be:

vec_over.jpg

sleave.jpg

Notice that the above pic has the flap open making it look longer.

I guess if you have Steve SI levels of OCD you can always snip off the excess. ;)

• Advertisement

In more Vectrex news, there's a really awesome facebook group here if anyone is interested:

Vectrex fans unite!

If you're interested in buying this Playstation to Vectrex controller adapter, theres a post in the group where the creator is taking names of people interested, as he'll do another run of them soon:

http://www.multigame.com/psx2vect.html

psx2vect_small_t.gifexternal_vect_close_t.gif

And for the VecMulti or VecFlash owner's here's a new game you can download and play right now:

FRESSSAKK:
    http://www.luchs-soft.de/down.htm

fress_cover.png

There is also 3 other games on that page you may not have played before.

Packrat Video Games plans to sell cartridges of a lot of Vectrex and Odyssey2 titles later this year.

The following post comes from their facebook page:
    More news about things coming later in 2014 (at least that is the plan):

John Dondzil's Vectrex games:
    Space Frenzy
    Gravitrex Plus
    Vectopia
    Vecmania
    Spike Hoppin'
    All Good Things
    Patriots
    Vector Vaders

And more Vectrex games that John did for Vectrexcarts. com:

Nebula Commander
    Revector
    Protector/YASI
    Thrust
    Tour de France
    V-Frogger
    Moon Lander
    Vaboom/Vectrace
    Rockaroids Remix
    Spike's Water Balloon (analog)
    Berzerk Debugged
    Star Trek Debugged
    Polar Rescue Prototype

(and possibly a few more from other programmers - this is still being worked on)

Plus on the Odyssey2 side of the fence:

233-in-1 Odyssey2/Videopac Multi-cart (the same one that John produces for now).

There is also Atari 2600 homebrew and hacks on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The Vectrex really intrigues me... I wouldn't emulate it because I honestly don't think it would be the same as having the real deal but it is a bit pricey for something I probably wouldn't use more than a few times. Love the idea of the overlays enhancing the graphics though, there's something so homebrewish about it but it works!

Cydoniac wrote: »
    The Vectrex really intrigues me... I wouldn't emulate it because I honestly don't think it would be the same as having the real deal but it is a bit pricey for something I probably wouldn't use more than a few times. Love the idea of the overlays enhancing the graphics though, there's something so homebrewish about it but it works!

It's an incredible machine and well worth picking up, for a reasonable price.
    They are delicate though, and don't take to being bounced around so be sure to test one before taking home, and wrap it in a duvet in the car! Don't post it to your house! An Post don't care about such precious cargo!
    And, with a flash cart, you can be playing Rockaroids, a homebrew Asteroids clone that is damn near perfect and the only way to play Asteroids at home, you'll never play it on MAME again.
    With that alone you'll get enough play from the machine, and amazing Homebrew continues to be produced too.

I bought mine from Germany and it arrived perfect.

Since Deutsche post are integrated with DHL you'll get it by courier to your door and avoid an Post all together.

Just make sure the seller packages it appropriately and it should be okay. Can't go wrong with lots of a bubblewrap inside a box.

And yet another free mini game has been released for the Vectrex by Der Luchs:

http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/thread/1061/vogelfutter

VOGELTITEL.png
    VOGELLEVEL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭Steve X2

vectorcade9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That's just so wrong..

• Advertisement

And i struggle enough with the size and layout of the stock controller!

I really need to invest in modifying a Dual Shock controller.

Advertisement