Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed heading to Australia august 2012???

Options
  • 09-04-2012 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi:cool:

me and my boyfriend are hoping to head to australia in august.Thinking that we will do our 3 months regional work first and then head to melbourne and secure a job there hoping to stay on for 3 years if we can get sponsored.

So I have a few questions -

1. Is it a good idea to do regional work first when we get there?

2. Where is the best place to get regional work?hoping for traffic controller and labouring?

3. What is the best bank to open account with over there?can we use hostel as address?

4. Is there much work there at the moment?

5. is it possible to save in australia if we put our minds to it?

6. Will we be able to secure a job in Melbourne if we arrive there in late november?

7. If we want to transfer our money from our irish account to our australian account what is the best way to do this?

8. could me and my boyfriend open a joint account together instead of opening two seperate accounts?:confused:

9. How much money do we need now to enter the country?

10. If we just get a one way flight will that be ok?

Thanks in advance for yer help and advice!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

1. Is it a good idea to do regional work first when we get there?yes

2. Where is the best place to get regional work?hoping for traffic controller and labouring? do asearch on seek and gumtree

3. What is the best bank to open account with over there?can we use hostel as address? theres a whole lot of threads on this search the forum

4. Is there much work there at the moment?again do a search

5. is it possible to save in australia if we put our minds to it?yes

6. Will we be able to secure a job in Melbourne if we arrive there in late november?

7. If we want to transfer our money from our irish account to our australian account what is the best way to do this? currency fair again do a search on the forum loads of info

8. could me and my boyfriend open a joint account together instead of opening two seperate accounts?:confused: you will both need seperate accounts to be paid by a employer but im sure a joint account for savings could be a option

9. How much money do we need now to enter the country? 5000 aud

10. If we just get a one way flight will that be ok?yes just prove you have the extra funds to buy one if your asked

Thanks in advance for yer help and advice!:D[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

OP, best to do a search. The forum has answered pretty much all your questions plenty of times.
    jamiecoins wrote: »
    8. could me and my boyfriend open a joint account together instead of opening two seperate accounts?:confused: you will both need seperate accounts to be paid by a employer but im sure a joint account for savings could be a option

You can be paid into a joint account, just depends on whether the employer is ok with it not being solely in the employees name.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

Xavi6 wrote: »
    OP, best to do a search. The forum has answered pretty much all your questions plenty of times.

You can be paid into a joint account, just depends on whether the employer is ok with it not being solely in the employees name.

yeah thats what i was thinking a employer might find it iffy as i never taught this would work from what i have heard good to know theres a option for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Corklady22 wrote: »
    - Good to get it out of the way
    2. Where is the best place to get regional work?hoping for traffic controller and labouring?
    Western Australia seems very popular, and it appears everyone is heading out that way.
    Traffic controller does not count towards 2nd year, you can find info here on what counts
    <Edit>According to users it does count
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm
    3. What is the best bank to open account with over there?can we use hostel as address?
    Read the FAQ, and yes you can
    Yes, but it appears to be very competitive
    Of course
    How can we possibly answer this?
    7. If we want to transfer our money from our irish account to our australian account what is the best way to do this?
    Read the FAQ
    8. could me and my boyfriend open a joint account together instead of opening two seperate accounts?:confused:
    Yes
    Again FAQ
    Yes,

Op - you should really have a read of the FAQ and do a few searches,all of these are answered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Corklady22

hussey wrote: »
    - Good to get it out of the way
    Western Australia seems very popular, and it appears everyone is heading out that way.
    Traffic controller does not count towards 2nd year, you can find info here on what counts
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm
    Read the FAQ, and yes you can
    Yes, but it appears to be very competitive
    Of course
    How can we possibly answer this?
    Read the FAQ
    Yes
    Again FAQ
    Yes,

Op - you should really have a read of the FAQ and do a few searches,all of these are answered

I have a friend who worked in traffic control in adelaide and it counted as her regional work for 2nd whv!
    thanks for repiles!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I have a friend who worked in traffic control in adelaide and it counted as her regional work for 2nd whv!

Genuine advice:

Don't rely on anecdotal advice when making decisions. Seriously, Irish people are demons for trying to convice you you can take a shortcut. It's the "Ah sure you'll be grand' mentality.

Genuine advice:

Don't rely on anecdotal advice when making decisions. Seriously, Irish people are demons for trying to convice you you can take a shortcut. It's the "Ah sure you'll be grand' mentality.

traffic controller goes under the construction heading tho as it can be on building site!well all i know is that she went last may and did 3months regional work in adelaide as a traffic controller and got her 2nd year visa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

traffic controller goes under the construction heading tho as it can be on building site!well all i know is that she went last may and did 3months regional work in adelaide as a traffic controller and got her 2nd year visa!

Good stuff! I had no idea if it did or not.

Advice still stands as a good rule of thumb!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

yeah thats what i was thinking a employer might find it iffy as i never taught this would work from what i have heard good to know theres a option for it :)
    I can't see why the employer would care if John's wages go to an account in names of John and Mary.
    He doesn't even have to know its a joint account, as all that matters is the acc number and BSB (I know there is a box for account name when transfering, but its the other two that matter).

Joint accounts for couples can be handy. Food, rent, bills, cinema, day trips etc all comes out of my joint account. But I still have my own account for wages and my money in general. Paying all your money into one pile isn't a good idea imo, the days of one bread winner are gone.
    thanks for repiles!
    Traffic control is contruction.
    Adelaide is regional. So its counts for 2nd year.
    But I don't think regional TC work is too easy to come by.

Mellor wrote: »
    I can't see why the employer would care if John's wages go to an account in names of John and Mary.
    He doesn't even have to know its a joint account, as all that matters is the acc number and BSB (I know there is a box for account name when transfering, but its the other two that matter).

Joint accounts for couples can be handy. Food, rent, bills, cinema, day trips etc all comes out of my joint account. But I still have my own account for wages and my money in general. Paying all your money into one pile isn't a good idea imo, the days of one bread winner are gone.
    thanks for repiles!
    Traffic control is contruction.
    Adelaide is regional. So its counts for 2nd year.
    But I don't think regional TC work is too easy to come by.

ya that's really all we want joint account for so that all bills can be paid from one!ya granted it might not be easy to come by regional TC work but it is an option!

Can anyone recommend any hostel in adelaide?prob have to stay in one until we get set up!

is it easy to find apartments to rent?are they all furnished?

• Advertisement
Advertisement