Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me what's being asked in this question? (Irish)

• 09-04-2012 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Maidir leis an dán An tEarrach Thiar (thíos) déan an dán a mheas faoi na cinnteidil seo:
    (i) suíomh an dáin; (ii) íomhánna sa dán; (iii) an file; (iv) mar a chuaigh an dán i gcion ortsa.

I kind of get it, but just want to be sure before I start. Can anyone clarify what's being asked in this question? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In relation to "An tEarrach Thiar", consider the poem under the following headings:
    (i) the setting of the poem; (ii) imagery in the poem; (iii) the poet; (iv) the effect the poem had on you.

or thereabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

spurious wrote: »
    In relation to "An tEarrach Thiar", consider the poem under the following headings:
    (i) the setting of the poem; (ii) imagery in the poem; (iii) the poet; (iv) the effect the poem had on you.

or thereabouts.

So basically, I should divide my answer into four parts and write about those points?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's probably easier to divide it into parts, but you could answer in one big answer and address each section.

I would imagine marking-wise each part is given equal marks. Is it an actual exam question?

**edit**
    Actually I think they want you to answer it in four separate sections.

It's probably easier to divide it into parts, but you could answer in one big answer and address each section.

I would imagine marking-wise each part is given equal marks. Is it an actual exam question?

Yes, it's the poetry question on the 2012 Sample Paper from the SEC. I don't think there's a marking scheme though, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

My mock question was pretty much exactly that except it was on Geibheann. You do answer it in parts - it goes 8, 8, 5, 5 and 4 for your standard of Irish, or something similar :)

• Advertisement

Having to write about the poet is pretty difficult, I'd have been really screwed if I got that question for my mocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Yeah, its easy enough for Geibheann since the book mentions it being a metaphor for her life, but what I'd do is make wild assumptions :pac: For example you could say the author of Colscaradh had a divorce, an t-earrach thiar grew up in the west and enjoyed it, something like that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

0mega wrote: »
    Having to write about the poet is pretty difficult, I'd have been really screwed if I got that question for my mocks.

You'll need to brush up on the poets then as that's the way the poetry question will appear on the leaving.

Anyone who's good at Irish mind having a look at my answer and seeing if it's okay? I'll PM you it. :)

Managed to get it just under 500 words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

**edit**
    Actually I think they want you to answer it in four separate sections.

Yeah a few people in my year lost marks in the pres for structuring that type of question as one big answer, think you're supposed to answer them separately OP
    0mega wrote: »
    Caitlin Maude isn't too bad because there are a few interesting points about her but yeah, if it was the same question about Padraig Mac Suibhne I don't know how I could write more than 1 or 2 lines :/

• Advertisement

Namlub wrote: »
    Caitlin Maude isn't too bad because there are a few interesting points about her but yeah, if it was the same question about Padraig Mac Suibhne I don't know how I could write more than 1 or 2 lines :/

Here's what I wrote for it, wasn't as hard as I thought:
    Rugadh agus tógadh Máirtín Ó Direáin ar an Sruthán in Árainn ach d’fhág sé an t-oileán nuair a d’fhás sé aníos. Chaith sé formhór a shaoil ag obair i mBaile Átha Cliath agus níor fhill sé chun cónaithe ar an oiléan riamh arís. Mar sin, is iad cuimhní an duine óig atá aige ar an oileán agus is minic a bhíonn cuimhní maoithneacha ag daoine ar a n-óige. Is léir gur duine é an file le grá agus meas mór aige ar a áit dhúchais agus ar an saol traidisiúnta a bhí le fail le linn a óige. Sa dán seo, cuimhníonn sé ar a laethanta a óige le grá agus le hómós. Mar a deir an seanfhocal, níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin.

Advertisement