Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Hair Wax

Options
  • 09-04-2012 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking for a vegan hair wax. I have short hair with some length on top and I use wax to add texture and generally just mess it up. The non vegan product I've been using is V05 Give Me Texture Choppy Cream Wax but once its used up I want to get something vegan to replace it. I've seen a few products online but I'm not sure what to try, especially since many are pricey and I don't want to fork out for something unsuitable.

I want a cream wax (or some other sort which doesn't give me a wet look) which is good for adding texture and defining layers with medium to strong hold. Preferably available in Galway but I'll buy online if I have to.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I don't like the wet look either but my hair gets all fuzzy if I don't put something in it. I was after pretty much exactly what you describe and tried a few different products. The best I've found so far is this: http://www.bce-europe.com/By-Brand-Manufacturer/Sante/Sante-Hair-Wax-Natural-Wax-50-ml.html?&cnid=c0230

(and that's the cheapest place I found to get it, but order a few at once so with the shipping it will work out cheaper per tin, as in you can get one for 12eur, or 5 for 30.)

Not only is it vegan, but it doesn't have any nasty chemicals either and will nourish your hair/skin/body and won't damage it long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Do you know where they source their beeswax? I'll use products that contain beeswax if it's cruelty free but from what I've heard it normally isn't.

Also on some sites with that product lanolin is listed as a an ingredient but not on the one you linked me to. Could you maybe check a tin to see? I'm guessing maybe the formula changed and that could be why it's different on other sites.

Lanolin is listed. Just looked up what it is, jaysus I didn't know that. Guess it's not vegan then :o If you find anything free of everything like that let me know. Maybe just pure Shea butter or something like that would give a good hold. Some people also use just pure coconut oil, but that would probably give a wet look.

I've been recommended this. As far as I can tell from the ingredients it is vegan however in the brand's FAQs section it says all its products are vegan except its gel and wax but it has several waxes so think I will send them an email to find out if it's all of them or just a certain one. Though I'd let you know anyway.

Please keep me up to date if you hear back.

I also found this, another few to choose from:

http://www.nicehair.org/hair-care-advice/9-high-quality-nutrient-rich-organic-hair-styling-waxes-and-gels/comment-page-1#comment-331

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I have no idea how good this is, but Lush's styling gel is vegan. https://www.lush.co.uk/product/124/Dirty-Hair-Styling-Cream Not sure if there's one in Galway or not, but you can always order online from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

Been using the Lush Vegan product which I like... pricey though. If you can get it in the north or shipped over from the UK worth getting a few tubs coz you'll save a few quid. Their Veganese hair conditioner and the shampoo are great too and while pricey they do seem to have lasted much longer for me than other products.

What's the hold like? Is it actually waxy, or does it just disappear like you never put anything on after 20 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

It's good... it's waxy for a while, not overly wet and like alot of these products seems to benefit from a light sprinkle of water if it starts to dry out... smells good too.

If anyone finds an organic vegan hard way, that'd be the best :D

• Advertisement

I was trying to think of something that in it's natural state, would be hard and waxy and could work as a hair wax. Shea butter sprung to mind so I did a google to see if there were any experiences of using it for hair and it turns out it's highly recommended for hair and scalp benefits. What I read had an extensive list of benefits so I decided to give it a go. At room temperature, in Ireland anyway, it's solid, so I kept it in the hotpress and it spreads easy and works pretty well indeed! One ingredient only too which is good so you know exactly what's in it :)

Where'd you buy it? Had a quick look at a few places online but just keep finding body butters and the like, no pure shea.

Got it at a stall in the Dublin Organic food Co-Op. The guy who runs the stall runs this site too: http://www.coconut-oils.net/index.php

It's not listed on the site but he does stock it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

Where'd you buy it? Had a quick look at a few places online but just keep finding body butters and the like, no pure shea.

I order it from a UK supplier Akoma Skincare. I blend it with other oils and butters to use for hair and skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

So I'm looking for a vegan hair wax. I have short hair with some length on top and I use wax to add texture and generally just mess it up. The non vegan product I've been using is V05 Give Me Texture Choppy Cream Wax but once its used up I want to get something vegan to replace it. I've seen a few products online but I'm not sure what to try, especially since many are pricey and I don't want to fork out for something unsuitable.

I want a cream wax (or some other sort which doesn't give me a wet look) which is good for adding texture and defining layers with medium to strong hold. Preferably available in Galway but I'll buy online if I have to.

Thanks for any help in advance.

You could buy flaxseeds (linseeds) and make your own hair gel. It's very simple process but there are 'how to' pages on the web if you'd like to explore for yourself. :)

Advertisement