Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplemental Training: Speed & Explosiveness

• 09-04-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭

With the long hours back I'm looking to bump training from 3 days a week to 4 days a week. Mainly just to keep myself busy but I'd like do stuff that supplements weightlifting rather than hinders it. I'm looking for a bit of variety so I do not just want to add another typical weightlifting day. It's also a chance to learn more about sprint/plyo/agility training.

I have a few ideas of things I can do already based off stuff I've done before or seen other people doing but I'd prefer not to just wing it and actually put a bit of thought into it. So if anybody has any good info or links on it hit me up!

Wanna get speed swole y'know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you're doing true plyos, landing mechanics are so croosh. KStar and Carl Polllollipop did a mobility wod day on it I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

I think you would want to be a bit more certain on what it is you want to do.....like i would consider stuff like speed and/or sprint mechanics and agility in particular not of much use when it comes to weightlifting......obviously this just my opinion. There is a huge link between power and speed but weightlifting is a hugely power sport.

And as Hanley eluded to, plyos are a grey area these days with the original russian shock training and the mutated form of what some people considered plyos these days.

Attached is a review of studies carried out looking at this.

I would guess you are looking for some thing to break up the monotony of repetitive training.

Does this extra day have to be training? Could it be a walk or bowling or something like that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

cc87 wrote: »
    I think you would want to be a bit more certain on what it is you want to do.....like i would consider stuff like speed and/or sprint mechanics and agility in particular not of much use when it comes to weightlifting......obviously this just my opinion. There is a huge link between power and speed but weightlifting is a hugely power sport.

And as Hanley eluded to, plyos are a grey area these days with the original russian shock training and the mutated form of what some people considered plyos these days.

Attached is a review of studies carried out looking at this.

I would guess you are looking for some thing to break up the monotony of repetitive training.

Does this extra day have to be training? Could it be a walk or bowling or something like that??

I would be on the side of the fence that specificity rules all when it comes to getting better at a task but yes what I'm looking for is something to break up the monotony of training. Basically a fun day of training but with stuff that will not hinder the main goal which is weightlifting or have minimal negative effect. It would be in and out in under an hour deal and it would also only be an optional day.

Yeah it has to be training of some description. Walking and anything similar bores me to tears. I'm not looking to kill myself now but it needs to be something I consider to be training.

Sprints and KB Complexes are what I already had in my mind. Not doing anything too crazy with the KB's either. I don't really know anything about plyometrics so that was one of the main reasons for the post. I had hurdle jumps and squat jumps programmed for me before. Funnily enough it was dropped after not showing any improvement in my weightlifting. Strength is what holds me back. I don't mind though if what I do does not directly help wl'ing as long as it doesn't harm it. I'll definitely be doing sprints simply because I like them and want to be better at them.

Cheers for the link it was some good reading. If anybody else has been reading up on this stuff and has any good links throw them up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

You could do a day of jumping? Plyos aren't all max efforts and reactive stuff, and a lot of people neglect upper body plyos. As for the grey area, I used to be a bit Nazi about the newer exercises but then I done edumacated mahself about yon science. You can have a bit of crack with some power development stuff and you can mix in some heavier work to good effect too. It depends on what you're looking for. you might be looking for something fun and enjoyable to do on your day off, or you might be looking for something programmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

The WS4SB dynamic effort lower body day might suit.

A - Some sort of jump
    B - Unilateral exercise (some sort of lunge or step up)
    C - Hip extension exercise
    D - Weighted abdominals

Or theres a strength + speed template in there - mainly sprints.

www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf

You could do a day of jumping? Plyos aren't all max efforts and reactive stuff, and a lot of people neglect upper body plyos. As for the grey area, I used to be a bit Nazi about the newer exercises but then I done edumacated mahself about yon science. You can have a bit of crack with some power development stuff and you can mix in some heavier work to good effect too. It depends on what you're looking for. you might be looking for something fun and enjoyable to do on your day off, or you might be looking for something programmed.

But is it really a ploy if there's no reactive element?

How about programmed fun? the best kind!

I've been thinking more about it and I was thinking if I go to the gym I'll do some partial/block work on the weightlifting end which will provide some variety there. Then intersperse it with some jump training. I had done something similar before the end of last year so I should be able to keep myself busy there.

If I don't go to the gym I'll do sprints and/or muck about with kettlebells.

Hanley wrote: »

Define reactive element!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Would you not be better served doing something for your squat? It seems to be what holds you back most.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Would you not be better served doing something for your squat? It seems to be what holds you back most.

I'd need a full blown leg transplant to make progress there! :(

Wait I just read what I wrote. I see what's confusing. I meant to say "max effort reactive stuff" rather than "max effort and reactive stuff".

What I mean is that not everything has to be done off a giant box and doesn't necessarily have to interfere with your recovery for weightlifting.

Wait I just read what I wrote. I see what's confusing. I meant to say "max effort reactive stuff" rather than "max effort and reactive stuff".

What I mean is that not everything has to be done off a giant box and doesn't necessarily have to interfere with your recovery for weightlifting.

:)

The sprinters in Morton do an absolute ton of low level reactive stuff. I actually love watching it!!

token wrote: »
    I'd need a full blown leg transplant to make progress there! :(

How about a balls transplant?! :p

How about a balls transplant?! :p

True, not being burdened with my massive balls weighing me down might help :cool:

Advertisement