Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative Essay - Theme or Issue

• 09-04-2012 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

hey i need to write a comparative essay on theme or issue for Dancing at Lughnasa, casablanca and how many miles to babylon but i haven't a clue where to strt or what to write and how to write it! can someoe help me please i would be so grateful :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Kellogs92 wrote: »
    hey i need to write a comparative essay on theme or issue for Dancing at Lughnasa, casablanca and how many miles to babylon but i haven't a clue where to strt or what to write and how to write it! can someoe help me please i would be so grateful :)

We used redemption as the theme in Casablanca, I don't know how it fits in with the rest though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Start off by saying what the theme or issue you're discussing is (eg love) and then proceed with you five headings of comparison for the theme or issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Start off by saying what the theme or issue you're discussing is (eg love) and then proceed with you five headings of comparison for the theme or issue

5 headings?? I don't know what way you do your comparative essays, but, we just make comparisons, one after the other and develop the points.

Like, We're doing "The Kite Runner", "Lamb", "Io non ho paura (I'm not Scared)" and we just make comparisons like when I talk of the ending being very liberating etc in the Kite Runner, I say "Similarly in Lamb, there is also a very spiritual and liberating moment, which on many levels is both optimistic and pessimistic..... yada yada yada... this ending in Lamb is, as I have aforementioned, similar to the closing of the Hosseini novel (the kite runner) but also, is quite comparable to the beginning of my third text, Io non ho Paura.... yada yada yada... this opening creates a tense atmosphere by both the accompanying music and the symbolic representations. The music is very important at the closing of the text (liberating atmosphere) and also, the symbols are recurring throughout. Similarly in Lamb,The kite runner, symbols are..... blahblahblah....

It's probably my favourite question on the whole of the English paper as you just need to make logical connections between the texts. Just try and interweave one connection into the next, focusing on your comparative words and you'll be great!

To begin, say "In my first text, I feel the theme of ___ is addressed on many levels. It is apparent in the Key moment of ___

I also always find it easier to do the 70marker question... its easier to pick up marks anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Kellogs92

sorry guys i forgot to mention my theme is conflict but i dont know what paragraph topics im supposed to do? i tink we have to pick our own like family conflict, emotional conflict, political conflict, etc. but i just dont know what to write! if i could just get a sample essay on these texts or something please help!

Advertisement