Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged floorboards

Options
  • 09-04-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭

I live in a rented apartment and Im due to move out at the end of the month. However about 6 months ago the washing machine broke and water all over the floor. The LL replaced the washing machine at the time. Problem is the water caused the floorboards to warp but now Im being told that the damage is somehow my fault and my deposit is being withheld. So who do you thinks at fault here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I live in a rented apartment and Im due to move out at the end of the month. However about 6 months ago the washing machine broke and water all over the floor. The LL replaced the washing machine at the time. Problem is the water caused the floorboards to warp but now Im being told that the damage is somehow my fault and my deposit is being withheld. So who do you thinks at fault here?
    Did you advise the landlord that the floorboards had warped as soon as you noticed it? I think most leases have a clause that any damage must be notified to the landlord immediately and failure to do so may result in the tenant being liable for the costs to repair.
    It may well be that the time for the landlord to claim on his insurance has now passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

odds_on wrote: »
    Did you advise the landlord that the floorboards had warped as soon as you noticed it? I think most leases have a clause that any damage must be notified to the landlord immediately and failure to do so may result in the tenant being liable for the costs to repair.
    It may well be that the time for the landlord to claim on his insurance has now passed.

No. Didnt want to ring again so soon. Take it Im bunched now then....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Provided you have some proof that the washing machine broke and leaked on the floor then you shouldnt have too hard a time proving that the damage was not your fault. That said, you should have notified the landlord (in writing) of the damage when it became obvious, and the fact that you didnt may go against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Whose washing machine? Why did it leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Victor wrote: »
    Whose washing machine? Why did it leak?
    The landlords. Not sure really, it was knackered, tripping the sockets too

• Advertisement
Advertisement