Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stylistic integrity hard to uphold

• 09-04-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

I know I'm not the only photographer who's still at the opening paces of what is sure to be a steep lifelong learning curve. There are many mistakes to be made and creative avenues to explore. Amongst these trials there appears to be disheartening periods of self-criticism and negative inward analysis. I'm pretty sure I'm going through one of those spells right now.

I'm desperately trying to establish a kind of post process style, that when matched with my preferred style of shooting will represent me and may help people to recognize my work, if only amongst the small group of friends who are aware I shoot anything at all. I'm not sure if this new style is to everyones taste. I feel as though my latest effort has been received rather poorly.

But, I like it. And the confusion comes from the feeling that I may have let the client down a bit. They haven't said so but I feel like perhaps they were expecting something different. Is this a normal feeling to experience? How do you get over it without scrapping the preferences you've established up until now. Maybe I should post the album for people to look over, but if nobody is interested I'll just leave it.

Any forum members experiences or advice would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I usually just try and process my images as close to what it looked like when I was there. I don't like adding any sort of colour tones or effects. When it starts to look a little bit unrealistic I lose interest. I feel you shouldn't have to put in a lot of effort in photoshop to get a good image. Unless your some pro fashion/landscape photographer, you shouldn't really have to spend more than 5 minutes PP an image.

That being said I'm a bit of a traditionalist but then again I only really like documentary style approaches to photography.

Your style is obviously going to change many times. In 5 years look back at your work and cringe like I do :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Your post processing style will probably change over time as you learn new skills in image editing.

Something that you love now, you may hate in a couple of years. Certain styles come in and out of fashion too. So whilst you may find a style you love today, in a few years, you'll still have your raw files to re-edit if you want to. One of the magic things about digital is the unlimited number of times you can go back to your work and play around with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Your style is constantly evolving and changing whether you know it or not. After a while you do become aware of it, see patterns in your work, see where your getting comfortable and not progressing. When I see this happening I stop. I stop shooting that way, or that topic.

I ask myself why I'm shooting a certain way/style/subject and if one photo looks like the last one if that makes sense? I can go months without taking a photo until I see something I like thats different or new and go off in another direction. It's part and parcel for me.

When I see an image in my mind its usually a pretty simple process to capture it if I can. I usually see the finished result in my head and that what I aim to achieve. I'll see each image differently in my head so my style or approach is different to each photo I take I suppose.

For post processing, I like to keep it simple and real. I've experimented with wacky gimmicks to understand them, to take the p1ss etc... but its more to understand them, know their uses and their limitations. Like Daz said, if it starts to look unreal, then its gone too far.

If you try to have your own style then I think its the wrong approach. It's forced and not how you want to shoot. Its the idea that your trying to stand out by doing "x", "y" and "z" when taking an image, post processing etc... and thats very formulaic and boring I think.

You should just see what you like, shoot what pleases you and let it all develop naturally from there. Obviously you'll see things that will influence you and knowingly, or unknowingly you'll shoot something similar at some stage. It still lets you see differently and develop how you see for yourself.

Don't try to force a style on yourself without it developing. It's easy to fall into using gimmicks and filters for your style. Learn different techniques and know which technique suits a particular situation.

Advertisement