Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you love about Newbridge

Options
  • 09-04-2012 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

We are thinking of relocating from Dublin to Newbridge big change as never lived anywhere besides Dublin. It seems to have every thing that is needed.

So just wanted to know what the local thought of their home town, what do you like, dislike about it. Also don't have a car so is there a good transport network?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

I have lived in Newbridge all of my life and i have to say its an excellent town to live in compared to many around the country. Transport wise the town has Bus eireann 126 route, Dublin coach which costs 5euro to Red Cow and directly links the the airport with town that costing 10euro. Its on the Dublin cork/limerick/Waterford/Galway railway line and also has the commuter rail to Dublin which is frequent. A large shopping center ( Whitewater) in the town with lots of shops. Has some great restaurants and pubs .Judge Roy beans, Harringtons to name a few . Curragh very close and very popular among walkers and just somewhere to go to get out of the bustle of the town. Town has a park along the river liffey .
    People go on about crime in the town but has your usual crime as do must other large towns. Overall its not a bad town to live in with easy access to Dublin and other regional cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I love paddy dowling. A legend in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

love it, shops are dead handy, pennys/dunnes/whitewater/tesco's /lidl /aldi etc etc, travel very good they have those green bus's that commute to dublin and prices are very good...would recommend it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

how is it to use the green buses with a buggy?? no car and a toddler equals transport nightmare :D

so its looking good have the application form for the educate together school so will be applying, does anyone know about other primary schools, not mad on religious ones as i am no religion and my little one isn't and will not be getting christened but dont mind him going to a catholic one if needs be, i went to one myself and they are very accommodating to non Catholics and that was in the early 80's :D

googled whitewater and it looks great, and looking at rentals in the area, are their any really dodgy areas that should be avoided I know you get good and bad everywhere and where you live is what you make it but dont want to live next to the local drug baron and the like :)

brilliant replies so far so thank you, now to convince the OH

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meg meg

The other junior primary school in the area I know of is St Conleths Junior school at the bottom of the town down by the liffey . Sent my kids there and it was a lovely school . As far as I know it's loosly Catholic but has people from all walks of life and religions so it wouldn't be a strict religious school .
    White water is great but beware at weekends as its the local hangout zone for all the teenagers ( Not that they cause problems - just makes the centre a bit crowded ! )
    As said above theres also the big pennys , a lidl , aldi , dunnes , tesco and plenty of shops along the main street . I live out in the curragh but spend most of my time in Newbridge as both mine and my other half work in newbridge and the kids go to school there - Newbridge is only a 10 minute drive/commute with buses and the train is very handy . The curragh is a lovely place for scenery and the races .
    I know everyone praises the green bus , not sure what it's like with a buggy but I'd say it's easy enough as it is mostly for the airport link so they'd have plenty of bulky baggage.
    Can't think of anywhere off the top of my head as being too dodgey but not living in newbridge so hard to say . Dara park/lakeside mightn't be the best of estates but again can't say for certain . Sarsfield drive is located beside the train station so that area would be handy for the train but there are plenty of estates within walking distance .

If there's anything else just ask and I'll do my best to help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Been living in Naas 16yrs and have always been told that Newbridge is rough...

To be honest I have not seen it and I would go down there regularly with the family shopping. The main street is actually in better condition than Naas and it has plenty to offer. I wouldnt be able to help with location, but I believe the Athgarvan road has some nice developments out there

Also has the train line direct to Dublin which is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Marou

The road out of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Also has the train line direct to Dublin which is handy

The bus (Bus Eireann 126) is cheaper and nearly as fast.

Plus it drops you in the city centre - not Heuston.

The 7.20am ex-Newbridge arrives at O'Connell Bridge at 8.15am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

edellc wrote: »
    how is it to use the green buses with a buggy?? no car and a toddler equals transport nightmare :D

so its looking good have the application form for the educate together school so will be applying, does anyone know about other primary schools, not mad on religious ones as i am no religion and my little one isn't and will not be getting christened but dont mind him going to a catholic one if needs be, i went to one myself and they are very accommodating to non Catholics and that was in the early 80's :D

googled whitewater and it looks great, and looking at rentals in the area, are their any really dodgy areas that should be avoided I know you get good and bad everywhere and where you live is what you make it but dont want to live next to the local drug baron and the like :)

brilliant replies so far so thank you, now to convince the OH

St Patrick's primary school in Newbridge. Primarily Church of Ireland but takes other denominations / non.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Been living in Naas 16yrs and have always been told that Newbridge is rough...

About 10 years ago, that would be a fairly accurate comment, but then all the new estates came along with decent size houses, more jobs came, then whitewater and the little ruffians grew up and got educated.

Whilst I'm no longer of a night owl age, I'm sure there's the same rowdyness you get in any town with a large 18 - 30 population, but you rarely see anything particularly bad in the local papers, so my guess is they are reasonably behaved.

Shopping, transport links, open spaces (liffey linear park) family restaurants, groups, leisure facilities, are all at the better end of the scale. Traffic can be a bit crazy at times, but that also shows vibrancy.

Just outside Newbridge you have Kildare Village Shopping Outlets, National stud, Curragh racecourse, loads of golf and plenty of nature areas.

If you are without car, local taxis are quite good value with fixed rates to various locations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement