Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology through Arts

Options
  • 09-04-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭

That UCD site is useless.

Could I apply for the BA- Joint Honours, and do the 3 subjects in first year and then do Psychology as my only honour?

Also how good would this degree be in relation to Post-Grad studies

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

No, in UCD you have to apply to the BA Psychology through the denominated course on the CAO. You can't apply to Arts and major in it after 1st year, although you can minor in it if you want!

All BA Psychology students are basically in Arts in 1st year i.e. do the 1st year modules in psychology, then whatever other subjects they want. But only they can actually major in Psychology in 2nd and 3rd year.

Edit: (sorry, missed the second part of your post!)

As with any undergraduate degree in Psychology, postgraduate qualifications are necessary to pursue any professional psychology career e.g. clinical, educational, health. From personal experience the UCD degree is well recognized for postgraduate courses! Psychology is a very long career path - to get into a Clinical Psychology course for example, you will often need your BA Psychology, and MA/MSc in a relevant area of Psychology (for the best chance to get into these, make sure to get a 2.1 or over in your undergrad) PLUS relevant experience. It's tough, but the UCD BA Psychology is an excellent starting point!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

No, in UCD you have to apply to the BA Psychology through the denominated course on the CAO. You can't apply to Arts and major in it after 1st year, although you can minor in it if you want!

All BA Psychology students are basically in Arts in 1st year i.e. do the 1st year modules in psychology, then whatever other subjects they want. But only they can actually major in Psychology in 2nd and 3rd year.

Edit: (sorry, missed the second part of your post!)

As with any undergraduate degree in Psychology, postgraduate qualifications are necessary to pursue any professional psychology career e.g. clinical, educational, health. From personal experience the UCD degree is well recognized for postgraduate courses! Psychology is a very long career path - to get into a Clinical Psychology course for example, you will often need your BA Psychology, and MA/MSc in a relevant area of Psychology (for the best chance to get into these, make sure to get a 2.1 or over in your undergrad) PLUS relevant experience. It's tough, but the UCD BA Psychology is an excellent starting point!

Thanks for that.

Points for the undenominated are going to be close. It was 510 last year and 530 is the highest i can expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If you're in doing arts you can usually switch majors going in to second year as loads of people swap around.

Do as many Psych modules as you can in 1st year, and if you do well in them, you might be able switch it to a major in second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I'm denominated entry psychology myself.

If you want to work professionally as a psychologist in the future, psychology through arts will not be sufficient. You need to have a degree accredited by the psychological society of Ireland (www.psihq.ie)

You could very well do it through arts, but to continue on to be a psychologist you would need to go back and do the Hdip of the denominated psychology. This is because the PSI has certain core requirements for you- you must take lab modules, statistics, and submit an independent dissertation for which you design an experiment and carry it out independently. You cannot fulfill these requirements with an a psychology through arts degree.

In short, if you are just interested in doing a minor for your own benefit, try go through arts (places are randomly allocated and are limited), but if you are considering psychology as a career, you must do the denominated course, or at least psychology through arts, and then go back to do the denominated course.

Personally, push yourself to get into the denominated entry course. It's extremely tough but very rewarding. You will be happy when you come out of it with a really flexible qualification and excellent research and fieldwork skills. Be aware of the long road ahead, as another poster mentioned. Apply for a volunteering position with helplines, charities etc ASAP. Some of us would have 2+ voluntary positions at the minute. They are essential for masters applications and further postgraduate study! PM me for further details.

Advertisement