Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public eye exam waiting list

Options
  • 09-04-2012 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭

18 month has a lazy eye / squint. Our doctor sent a letter to that effect last December . Has anyone any idea how much longer it will be ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What area are you in?
    From an amo referal about 12-18 months or 150 euro and 6 weeks private.
    From a direct referral about 9 months.(some areas the phn refers)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Moonbeam wrote: »
    What area are you in?
    Galway.
    What's an amo referral ?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

km79 wrote: »
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    What area are you in?
    Galway.
    What's an amo referral ?

Area Medical Officer. See here: http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/LHO/Galway/Children_and_Family_Services/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

When my eldest was 6 months she was direct referred by he phn, it took three months, Dublin area. The younger two will have to be referred by the amo and it could take a year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My eldest was referred at about 6 months by the amo(Fingal was our area) and we were given an appointment for a Dublin clinic about 13 months later, I declned and got in done privately (VHI covered alot of it). my small girl got refered by the phn about 8 months ago and has an appointment in the local health centre(KIldare) at the end of the month.
    Ring your phn and see what she says ,it really depends on area.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all that. So does a doctors referral carry any weight at all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

we were told there would be a 2 year wait in Crumlin Hosp Dublin so we went private. We had a doctor referral letter too,which was for Tallaght, when i rang tallaght I was told not to send it in because they weren't taking anymore referrals:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

we were told there would be a 2 year wait in Crumlin Hosp Dublin so we went private. We had a doctor referral letter too,which was for Tallaght, when i rang tallaght I was told not to send it in because they weren't taking anymore referrals:mad:

I'm so angry for you after reading your post - your poor child :(

It's scary too, because if your child's eyesight is not acted on sooner rather than later they will have sight problems for the rest of their life. That's the reality for parents who can't afford to go private - it's a bloody disgrace that they have to in the first place!

I was faced with the dilemma when my 5-year-old daughter was diagnosed with poor sight in one eye. I was advised the public waiting list is 11 months long, but leaving her at the mercy of the public system was not advisable as her problem would be more difficult to rectify once she would reach 6! So I had no choice but to go private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

kelle wrote: »
    I'm so angry for you after reading your post - your poor child :(

It's scary too, because if your child's eyesight is not acted on sooner rather than later they will have sight problems for the rest of their life. That's the reality for parents who can't afford to go private - it's a bloody disgrace that they have to in the first place!

I was faced with the dilemma when my 5-year-old daughter was diagnosed with poor sight in one eye. I was advised the public waiting list is 11 months long, but leaving her at the mercy of the public system was not advisable as her problem would be more difficult to rectify once she would reach 6! So I had no choice but to go private.

I know, that's it, if we had waited 2 more years, would we have been talking an operation for him? As it is, his eye has straightened out so much since October, when he got the glasses. If we'd waited for a hosp appointment, the eye would be getting worse. His eye sight is very poor in the weak eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

km79 wrote: »
    Thanks for all that. So does a doctors referral carry any weight at all ?

Wouldnt think a referral from a doc would be more/less important than a phn referral... only way to get done quickly is to go private.

• Advertisement

Well I finally got through to someone who could give me an appointment date and it is for December .....2013 !!!!!
    That is beyond a joke.
    What costs are involved in going private . We have the mostbasic health insurance so it's unlikely to cover anything.

It cost us 150 euro private in the Charlemont clinic.

Advertisement