Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird Occurence's

• 09-04-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

So in Summer 2008 I bought a new phone, and in October 2009 I lost that phone. Lost all my contacts etc. Bought a new phone and a new sim and got my old number switched over.

I have been using that phone since then. On Friday I was sending a message and noticed one or two names that werent in my phone book before. Scrolled through and realised then that ALL the numbers that had been saved in the phone that I'd lost 2 and a half years previously somehow all appeared in this phone! I have absolutely no idea how it happened as the contacts were never backed up on anything. Even if they were I dont know why they would take 2 and a half years to show up??

2 different phones, 2 different sim cards. Contacts just magically went from one to the other after 2 and a half years.

Does anyone have any explanation for this? Anyone ever hear of this happening to anyone else?

And also feel free to leave your own stories of strange/unexplainable occurrences here also. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sim card backup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

serial killer has tracked you down after near miss last time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Its called the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

nope I never backed them up. I know you can do that on O2 for a charge, but I never bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

nope I never backed them up. I know you can do that on O2 for a charge, but I never bothered.

Yeah, just noticed that you said that in the OP. Definitely a serial killer so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ever connect it to a computer? Cable, bluetooth, or otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

That's weird alright... I want to read more explantations before this is moved to conspiracy theories ;) I don't like going over there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

But it still is late 2009 :confused:

I have no idea what you're talking about when you're saying 2 and a half years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Cellular shapeshifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

There's an apostrophe in the thread title and there's absolutely no need for it.

I've seen many occcurences of this phenomenon.

Weird or what?

:P

• Advertisement

nope, its a ****ty old samsung phone, so have never hooked it up to the computer.... Dont think it even has a slot to do such a thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

nope, its a ****ty old samsung phone, so have never hooked it up to the computer.... Dont think it even has a slot to do such a thing!

I trust your sitting with your back to a wall while typing these posts?

Feeona wrote: »
    There's an apostrophe in the thread title and there's absolutely no need for it.

I've seen many occcurences of this phenomenon.

Weird or what?

:P

Hah, I just noticed that and was waiting for someone to point it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

So in Summer 2008 I bought a new phone, and in October 2009 I lost that phone. Lost all my contacts etc. Bought a new phone and a new sim and got my old number switched over.

I have been using that phone since then. On Friday I was sending a message and noticed one or two names that werent in my phone book before. Scrolled through and realised then that ALL the numbers that had been saved in the phone that I'd lost 2 and a half years previously somehow all appeared in this phone! I have absolutely no idea how it happened as the contacts were never backed up on anything. Even if they were I dont know why they would take 2 and a half years to show up??

2 different phones, 2 different sim cards. Contacts just magically went from one to the other after 2 and a half years.

Does anyone have any explanation for this? Anyone ever hear of this happening to anyone else?

And also feel free to leave your own stories of strange/unexplainable occurrences here also. :D

Maybe they were there all along and you just didn't notice. That is more likely than them appearing magically now.

Maybe they were there all along and you just didn't notice. That is more likely than them appearing magically now.

Even if they were I still dont know how they got there? I got most of the numbers off people again and saved them in the new phone but there were numbers that appeared on Friday that belonged to people that I havent seen since I lost the old phone. Previous landlady, woman I used to work with etc. I still dont know how they got from one phone to the other without me putting them there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Think man, think. There gotta be a reason, there just gotta...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Aliens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

What kind of phone? Android?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I'd say it is an Android phone that you used at least twice to connect to the internet and it therefore backed up your contacts.

Hmmm I dont know its really crap and I never use it for the internet.

Both phones were the same type I just replaced the one I lost with the same kind again. Heres a link to the kind of phone it is.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Samsung-SGH-J700_Mobile-Phone_review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's PFM

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Something freaky like that happened to me too!

This time last year I dropped my phone down the sink and ran the tap on by accident so I completely destroyed the phone. I was fairly pissed off over this but went out and bought the same phone again.
    Few months down the line I smashed the screen on the second phone and the very same day the first phone started working again for no reason!

I had been checking it nearly every day for a long time as someone very close to me had recently died and I had a lot of messages from him on it that I wanted for sentimental reasons.

So when my messages from the second phone were gone, I suddenly got back all the one's from the first phone! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Are you sure it not just the early stages of Alzheimers?

"oh they magically appeared and there's no possible explanation"...."Yeah yeah Granny, take that pot off your head and go to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Strange thing happened to me this morning,the battery ran down on my drill driver,which I'd just got recently because my old one wouldn't hold a charge,so I stuck the battery in the charger. This really was a most disturbing occurence, it could mean two hours of down time, I casually looked down on the floor and noticed my old driver charger with a battery in it and would you believe, a green light was showing,indicating that the battery was fully charged. I couldn't believe it,this hadn't happened since the last time this particular battery held a full charge,which, if memory serves me,was the 25th of August 2010. Needless to say,although a little perplexed by this strange pheononom (I wish I could spell that word) I continued screwing screws into the wall. Has any thing like this ever happened to anyone ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

They were backed up on your number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The last three years have been a dream, welcome to the world of the real.

They were backed up on your number.

Yeah it seems to be the only logical explanation but I didnt think that was possible though? Normally when people lose their phone they just seem to be annoyed about losing their numbers. Ive never actually heard of anyone gettin them all back through switchin their number to a new sim?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I got all the green lights into town once.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    Something freaky like that happened to me too!

This time last year I dropped my phone down the sink and ran the tap on by accident so I completely destroyed the phone. I was fairly pissed off over this but went out and bought the same phone again.
    Few months down the line I smashed the screen on the second phone and the very same day the first phone started working again for no reason!

I had been checking it nearly every day for a long time as someone very close to me had recently died and I had a lot of messages from him on it that I wanted for sentimental reasons.

So when my messages from the second phone were gone, I suddenly got back all the one's from the first phone! :)

It gradually dried out over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I got all the green lights into town once.

Which town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

My mother's cousin passed away last year. Her husband bought a car recently and the number place was his deceased wife's date of birth!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It gradually dried out over time.

Ya I got that! I was more talking about how it was a coincedence that it started to work on the exact day I needed it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Yeah it seems to be the only logical explanation but I didnt think that was possible though? Normally when people lose their phone they just seem to be annoyed about losing their numbers. Ive never actually heard of anyone gettin them all back through switchin their number to a new sim?

It's called cloud, where your data is stored on a virtual shelf which you might have activated while playing around with your new phone. Now, let's just say that you were well organised without you even realizing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I find it weirder that you have the same phone for the last 4 years!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Did the phone company do it?

If you registered your phone and you are on the same network,they added them as they saw that you called those numbers regularly before?

• Advertisement

Vain wrote: »
    I find it weirder that you have the same phone for the last 4 years!!

I know! Had an iPhone for bout 2 months recently but lost it! I am always losing stuff, so I just have a really basic phone that does the job!

If you registered your phone and you are on the same network,they added them as they saw that you called those numbers regularly before?

That would kind of make sense, except all the numbers came back... Even people who Ive never actualy called or text before and even my friends CAO number that I had saved as a contact! Very odd.

The whole cloud thing seems to make sense. Except that this was over 2 and a hald years ago on a really ****ty phone so I dont know if its possible with this one? Hmm seems to be the most plausible explanation so far anyway!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tolosenc wrote: »
    Which town?
    I'd call that question a weird occurrence if it was a genuine question .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I can't think of anything witty to say. Damm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

It's called Neural Networking so by thinking of the numbers they are transferred into your phone. Read the following....

ELEPHANT

TRANSFERRENCE

INTEGRATION

ALKALINE

I now can deduce that at least 4 of the numbers in your old mobile number are below.

8 2 0 1 5 9 7 6 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

No the networks don't do that. Even if they saw that you regularly called certain numbers, they wouldn't know the names associated with them. And your network certainly can't edit your phone's contacts with no interation from you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

your provider backs up this info automatically without your knowledge and passes that info onto the FBI, CIA, Homeland Security and build this info against your account, it doesn't matter if you're Osama or a housewife, they'll have a profile of you.

They obviously made a mistake on their end and pushed out your / their backed up contacts from you previously to your new phone.

wooops..

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    your provider backs up this info automatically without your knowledge and passes that info onto the FBI, CIA, Homeland Security and build this info against your account, it doesn't matter if you're Osama or a housewife, they'll have a profile of you.
    Quite incorrect.

Reminds me of when a tower was built near Sellafield - the locals wanted to complain but then found it had nothing to do with BNFL - it was MI5/6 and they didn't need planing permission.
    The tower was to eavesdrop on the microwave link between Eircom and BT.

Other stories are about the extra floor in the BT exchange in Belfast, you know the one the lift doesn't go to. ;)

In the US the telco's make money out of tapping phones, because it's billable, strict controls though to prevent abuse. The details must be written on a Post It at least.

In the UK there were only 552,550 official requests for users internet data in 2010, and this figure is going up 5% a year so much that they want to streamline the process http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745
    "What this is talking about doing is not focusing on terrorists or criminals, it's absolutely everybody's emails, phone calls, web access..." he told the BBC.

"All that's got to be recorded for two years and the government will be able to get at it with no by your leave from anybody."
    Yes it's April 1st, but

And as sure as cloned Cisco kit is sending info back to the Chinese and US comms gear has backdoors for the spooks and Israeli kit is phoning home you can be reasonably sure the stuff the telco's use here is also ratting you out silently.

Point is that most of our telco's are UK owned so it's the Brits who get that data, not the US.

And then they pass it on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echelon_%28signals_intelligence%29 ;)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/act/pub/0003/print.html - scroll to the bottom to see what is officially supposed to be kept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Could it just be that it's all synced with your facebook/gmail/whatever contacts? It's not the original contact list, just enough of them to make you think it's the original list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Grayson wrote: »
    Could it just be that it's all synced with your facebook/gmail/whatever contacts? It's not the original contact list, just enough of them to make you think it's the original list.
    Actually, that's a good point. I got a HTC about a year ago and it's synced to my facebook, so if anyone has their contact info on FB it's now on my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Yeah, just noticed that you said that in the OP. Definitely a serial killer so

and OP what ever you do dont say "i'll be back in a minute" to anyone anytime soon after dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

a pub gutted in a fire and a tornado hours later in the same town in the early hours of friday the 13th :eek:

Im not superstitious but..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Took out 200punts from an ATM and it came out all in fivers, i drop the lot trying to squeeze the notes into my wallet. Picked up all the money with the help of random people. Counted it and had 205 punts somehow.....weird :D

Advertisement