Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming build (but with an awkward twist)

Options
  • 09-04-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€700 - 750]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming - current gen and upcoming games this year (Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Alan Wake, ec.) I'm so used to crappy graphics and sluggish performance I don't need to go all the way to maxed out 60 FPS. Just a decent frame rate...

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? It's a 32" LCD TV with HDMI output - 1920x1080

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Wireless Card and Card reader]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No, total noob]

*This is where it gets tricky. I'm actually based in Korea, and sourcing my parts from Gmarket (http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_category/category.asp?readYn=Y&gdlc_cd=100000055)

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer]

9. When are you purchasing? [In the next 2 weeks]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [I wish...]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

From a quick look on that site, a 2500K costs about €195, which would mean Hardwareversand.de are actually slightly cheaper. I'm also pretty sure they ship worldwide. Might be something to look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

any chance you want to be a mule for catleap monitors? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Well, I haven't been following that thread so I'll have to pass...
    I sent an email off to Hardwareversand.de about shipping and potential costs, but I haven't heard back from that. If I think about it, any possible savings on individual parts may be cancelled out (and then some) by prohibitive DHL costs from Germany to Korea, not to mention the increased time I'd be waiting on parts. I just think shopping locally would be cheaper and quicker when you factor in delivery costs.

If anyone could put up a build from Hardwareversand.de I could go looking on www.danawara.com or G-Market for the equivalent parts, then post up what I find and get some feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

it is reallt hard to put a build with not knowing prices. some components shoud be cheaper over in korea and some more expensive. its very hard to use korean website, when you know feck all korean :)

anyway, what you need to look for:

z68 gen 3 mobo, or z77. chaper one might have no CF and SLI option, both both of them will have atleast 1 proper pcie3.0
    then you need i5 2500k, thats the only option for a very good build.
    8gb ram, check 1333 speeds, with no huge heatsinks. those are useless and just makes problems for after market coolers. something like Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9
    Now case is hard to define. it should be ATX. check if you can afford some corsair stuff like 400R, 500R ( my personal liking ). make sure you get USB3 support on them. then ofc it will be about your taste too, you will be the one living and looking at that box every day ;)
    PSU, it would be great if you can get your hands on Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W, 550w is more then enough for that build and it is good brand. I like ( and use ) corsair stuff myself, something like TX series. i have one myself and it is great.
    i dunno prices of HDD there, but i guess you can get 1TB 7200rpm now, look for better price.
    GPU, have a look how much is left over. perfectly i would love to stick 7870, but you might have to go with 7850. if its over the budget, then try to cut down stuff above? i would not want to go lower then 7850 for a solid gaming PC.

now some components should be way cheaper in korea, then we have to pay here. so you should fit in in your budget with such build. sorry, thats the most i can help you! :o

Can't post the web page, so here's a run down of what I've put in the shopping cart (cheers ShadowHearth)

ATX 550W PS2-550EF 80PLUS - 39 euro

Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX - 75 euro

i5 2500k 3.3Ghz LGA1155/6MB - 186 euro

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - 120 euro

Sapphire HD 7850 OC D5 2GB PCI-E - 245 euro

Corsair DDR3 4GB PC3 16000 CL9 MS3 (2GB X 2) - 56 euro

Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA3/72000/64M - 82 euro

Which comes to just over 800 euro, give or take a couple of won. I haven't factored in delivery costs yet though.

Delivery pushes it up 830EUR ($1089)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you don't plan on going Crossfire later on (which you can't with that PSU anyway) you can drop to the Pro3 Gen3 and save a bit.

Also, cheaper RAM, double the amount:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44315&agid=1192

Hardwareversand doesn't ship to Korea

Ram looks super expensive. Check other brands for 8gb 2x4gb?
    Try to look for same mobo, but just gen3
    check cheaper case? You should get a decent case for around 30-40eu. It's Korea, Maybe they got SW brands we don't know?

I picked 2 quantities of this RAM for 40EUR
    http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=199254424
    (Needs translating)
    Changed the Z68 mobo to Pro3 instead of Extreme3.

Got the price down to 787 including shipping.

This is a list of ATX cases they stock:
    http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_search/search_total.asp?selecturl=total&SearchClassFormWord=goodsSearch&keyword=atx+case

Picked this case, brought the price down to 710 euro with shipping

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=240496694

I picked 2 quantities of this RAM for 40EUR
    http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=199254424
    (Needs translating)
    Changed the Z68 mobo to Pro3 instead of Extreme3.

Got the price down to 787 including shipping.

This is a list of ATX cases they stock:
    http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_search/search_total.asp?selecturl=total&SearchClassFormWord=goodsSearch&keyword=atx+case

Picked this case, brought the price down to 710 euro with shipping

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=240496694

well wasnt that around the target so? :)

• Advertisement

Now it's just a question of, will it all fit together? Can I fit 2 of these (Samsung RAM DDR3 4GB PC3-10600 (1333) + 240-pin heat sink) into the Pro3 mobo? The new case doesn't have a USB 3.0 port, and I'm not sure if the HD audio port means HDMI so that I can use my TV as a monitor... I'd just like to be absolutely sure before I buy. This is my first go, and I don't want a mess on my hands!

Ram will work. You will have hdmi on your gpu, so no probl there. You will still have USB on the back of your case ( mobo it self )

Will I need to install a wireless network card to the mobo, or will a USB dongle do? Also, I only have Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit; will only 4 GB of RAM be sufficient for my needs?

You can download 64bit version and use same key.
    You would ideally want 8g ram, but I have no idea, why it is so expensive in Korea. We pay 37eu for 8gb ram... Don't they do some bundles?
    You can get wireless card, but wireless adapter will do too. Some people dislike them with a passion, but I like it. Ability to connect it on USB extraction cable and move it up to get it better reception is a winner in my books. You won't be able to do it with internal card.

Was able to navigate Danawa. Getting a better deal for only 617 euro:

Intel Core i5 2500 (Sandy Bridge)
    ASrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3
    G.Skill DDR3 8G PC3-10600 CL9 SNIPER SR
    HIS Radeon HD 7850 H D5 2GB
    Seagate 1TB Barracuda
    Samsung Super-WriteMaster
    NK 3RSystem R400 Espresso
    SuperFlower SF-500P12A

I'm very tempted by this, along with the fact that they can assemble it for me also!
    Is this a workable build? (Just worried about the case and power supply)

Advertisement