Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children with speech problems

Options
  • 09-04-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all, My wee fella is almost three and a half now and he still isn't speaking or saying any words on his own. If we coach him he will say mama, dada, aye and more and he can make all the animal sounds and things like that, but hes not talking on his own. He is attending regular speech therapy sessions and the doc is really happy with him because he totally understands her and can do anything she asks him to do. Hes had all the other tests done as well which have all come back in a positive ways and basically we have been told he will talk when hes ready. We have recently enroled him into a local creche as well hoping that this will help bring on the process. Im just wondering if any parents out there have kids or had kids that had speech problems and if they have any advice or if they had been told to try something we haven't. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My fella was worse than your guy and had behavioural difficulties and autistic tendencies.

However he got cleared of autism last year at 4 and 1/4. His speech only picked up when he turned 5 in December, his doing great now. last November he could only say 3 word sentences and had a hard time in j.infants (he went to preschool as well) but he only really spoke when he turned 5 in December.

He still has difficulty but he will get there. Oh he was rated in the first percentile last may for expressive, receptive and phonological speech. If my guy can improve yours can too.

Advice go with the flow... TBH he has had over 150 speech and language appointments since he was 2, he only started cooperating a few months ago, i never found them great, but now his coped on to them teaching him to talk properly his doing it, its robotic to begin with but after a while it becomes spontaneous, then you move onto the next goal.

My lads first goal was to put an ending on the word, that took 2 and 3/4 years. his now working on the starts of words, S blends like speed, skip, sky, sleep, slept, sport, spot,skull, skellington and sheep. sk, sl, sp sh. he also has probloms with word clusters. they also need to extend his volcablary.

My boy couldnt say moma until he was 2 and 3/4 and he couldnt say dada will he was 3 and 3/4. He had about 35 words at age 4.

Now he has way more word 200+ but the big change was in December when he turned 5. His just started counting and saying the days of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

All kids learn at different speeds and in different ways. If the tests are positive and the professionals aren't concerned then I wouldn't worry. He'll speak more when he's ready to speak more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lucyjoc

my eldest was diagnosed with a specific speech and language impairment (ssli) as he had very few words and no sentences when he turned 3, you should ask your therapist about it and rule it out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

My young lad is 3 and a half atm and only recently talking lots. He used odd words such as mam and dad but nothing much and never sentences. We had him in crech since September but he's a really shy kid around new people. He wouldn't talk to his teachers but he did start talking gibberish to the kids and played with them. Then he started to talk to his teacher.

I went in to collect him after creche on Monday and on his way out he was talking to the lady running the creche, which he never does, and he was oh I'll open the door, thanks. Slan!

So all kids will progress at their own speeds and your lad will start when he's good and ready, just be patient and it will come naturally. Then you'll miss the days when he was quiet ;)

Advertisement