Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to hide pets from landlord?

Options
  • 09-04-2012 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm amused by so many people saying 'If you don't like the no pets policy find somewhere else'. The simple fact is it is virtually impossible to find a property that allows pets. Even one small house trained cat. Tenants are being forced to lie because landlords simply give them no other choice. It's lie or have nowhere to live.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Plenty of place I saw allow pets. It might be a bit more work to find one, but its something that you have to accept if you have pets and want to rent.

The simple fact of the matter is that if you break a clause in the lease like this then you are liable to get evicted. It might not be fair, but the landlord is the one who makes the rules and if you dont like them then you are free to not move into the accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

zorak wrote: »
    I'm amused by so many people saying 'If you don't like the no pets policy find somewhere else'. The simple fact is it is virtually impossible to find a property that allows pets. Even one small house trained cat. Tenants are being forced to lie because landlords simply give them no other choice. It's lie or have nowhere to live.
    Rubbish. I'm renting a lovely house. I have a puppy.
    When we were viewing, I was straight up with the landlord. "Listen there's on thing. I have a dog. She's well behaved. She won't cause any damage, but I'll replace or repair anything in that event without quibble. I understand you mightn't want a dog, but we're great tenants, and we're looking to rent for a good few years." We were offered the house, and I've been spending this weekend putting down grass seed with gypsum to patch up the areas of lawn she's damaged.
    If you are honest, and paying rent - landlords are looking for tenants.

Naturally, don't look to rent a house with a back garden thats groomed to perfection.

Lieing to the landlord is no different than a dodgy car salesman lieing and selling you a crock of shit car. You are entering a business arrangement knowingly lieing to the other person. It's shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sillyruby

OP i would advise you to be up front. I was told no pets allowed when i first went to see place and told the landlord that i did have 2 small pets (kept in very large cage!) after discussing with him he actually changed the contract that i was allowed keep pets. I wouldn't have moved into the place if he didn't allow them simple as. Cats and dogs are not easy to hide without a doubt if the landlord doesn't figure it out a neighbour or someone will hang you out to dry (intentional or not!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 zorak

OK well in my experience it is virtually impossible to find somewhere that does not say a blanket 'no pets allowed'. My current situation is that I have recently put a deposit down on a flat advertised on rightmove that did *not* have a 'no pets allowed' clause on the advert. Nor did the agent mention it at the viewing or when taking a holding deposit. In addition the agent will not be even giving us the contract and lease details until the day we move into the flat. In such a situation I'm not sure if they have the legal right to immediately evict me when they only present the contract and any clauses on the actual day of moving in...... I have however, decided to tell them that we have a small house trained pet and if it falls through then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

They have the right to evict you if you sign a lease that says thats pets are not permitted and you ignore that clause. If there is nothing in the lease to forbid pets and they dont mention it then there probably isnt much they can do about it, but for the sake of not creating a difficult situation for yourself regardless I would definately recommend saying it to them in advance, even if there is nothing to suggest that pets arent allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

its this type of thing that gives tenants bad names, hiding pets, thinking airing out the smell of fags for 2 hours makes it ok, never hoovering and doing a big clean before landlord arrives is ok.
    If you are a good tenant, you wouldn't be out to deceive the landlord. Go find another ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thread split

Hi zorak, it's not the done thing to reopen an old discussion without good reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement