Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You might not know the name but you might have seen his pictures. RIP Mr Kinkade.

• 09-04-2012 6:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

In quiet news Thomas Kinkade died this week. One of America's greatest modern painters.
    "Who?" you say?
    Well to many including I, his pictures were absolutely beautiful. Full of colour, light, vibrancy - and hope.
    They were of things many could only dream of, places we would love to visit and some places that hold special memories for some of us.
    His works of art took us to places we would love to be and/or see existed. Sometimes a perfect dream world.

Here is some of his paintings: CLICK HERE

You might not have known the name but there is very few that at some stage, have not seen at least one of his paintings.
    I have a few of them myself and use images of them even as my desktop background.

RIP Mr Kinkade.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Biggins wrote: »
    RIP Mr Kinkade.

Better hoof up the jigsaw prices tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I'd never heard of this guy until Christmas, I was given a calender with his paintings on it, magnificent paintings. R.I.P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

grindle wrote: »
    Better hoof up the jigsaw prices tomorrow.

Indeed.
    Many jigsaws were created from many of his works of beautiful art.
    The employment numbers alone from that he must have created over the years, would be enormous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

Sorry Biggins we part ways here.

Still each to his own.

cml387 wrote: »
    Sorry Biggins we part ways here.

Still each to his own.

He won't ever be ranked with Di Vinci or Van Gough but his pictures were simple, never anything but what they seemed at first glance and have brighten up many a home (its reported that maybe even one in twenty). :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is the only one i like: http://3weirdsisters.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/chthulu-thomas-kinkade-lighthouse1.jpg

His paintings are mostly like something you'd find on a greetings card imho, still could draw better than I can and I'm sure he was a nice guy. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

I don't like them. :-/

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

His works cool its kinda like disney in away. no disrespect.. shame all the same.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭megaten

He gets a lot of flak but the dude could actually paint. He just kind got caught up in his own marketing I think.

Here's one by him that doesn't look like it was painted using the essence of sugar.
    http://i.imgur.com/iNPcv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I wouldn't be into his paintings at all, too idyllic :/ They look like illustrations to childrens story books, expensive story books but still :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

He's a bit like Jack Vettriano, very popular but looked down on by the art set.

Still I'd take both of them over Tracey Emin's unmade bed.

His use of colours was straight forward and simplistic.
    Very much in a Disney fashion sometimes indeed.

Art as they say, is subjective.
    He won't be ranked in high terms amid regions of more classic art periods but in appreciating those more pictures like Picasso and Paul Cezanne - it was a timeout sometimes to stand back and also enjoy some lighter works of art such as his.
    He first came to my attention with his Paris paintings of post war era such as this one, Boulevard Lights.
    They and others have become a loved jigsaw in many a home.

Totally understand why some might not take to his work.
    "One persons meat, is another poison." :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Kitsch in its most extreme !

This one? http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/imgs/artists/emin-tracey/tracey-emin-my-bed.jpg

Art certainly is strange and broad at times isn't it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

never heard of this artist till now, thanks Biggins for highlighting him. gorgeous stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Whats the story with everyone hating on Tracey Emin ? Out of curiosity, did you look into what "My Bed" is about ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

The name rings a bell, but I wasn't familiar with him or his work.

Absolutely stunning paintings. I can see why people might find them "too idyllic" but that's what I like about them. Looking through the pictures I find some of them almost overwhelmingly beautiful. Difficult to describe.

Sorry to hear of his death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

A bit like Andri Rieu being looked down on by the classical set. Much more popular though. Great artists both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Chorcai wrote: »
    Whats the story with everyone hating on Tracey Emin ? Out of curiosity, did you look into what "My Bed" is about ?

She's a terrible "artist".

I read her column and stared at her work for years searching for an iota of her inspiration that wasn't soaked in sullen teenage insecurity/hatred.

She's a terrible "conceptual artist" as well, it turns out.

If she can be an artist, so can anybody, and that's been one of the greatest albatrosses around the necks of talented artists who struggle to get through art college without being told their work needs to mean something beyond what it looks like, even if that means you're basically forced into writing an essay about the struggle of inner-city life (that really means nothing to that individual) to describe a hastily-made cube made of red-bricks balanced on it's corner on top of a traffic cone.

That cube, nowadays, would get a much higher score than something that was a technically accomplished piece of work that actually speaks to and from the artist and out to the audience.
    Apparently this gauche/punk shock-art movement is a real winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I'd never heard of him, Biggins.

Really sweet and pretty stuff, magical :)

I don't get this 'looked down on by the art set'. Who they hell are they anyway?

I was at the Guggenheim museum a few years back and the stuff that was on show under the name of art.... :rolleyes: pretentious BS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Fairytale heaven :D They are cute. There's enough shoite and pain and bloodshed in the world.

He wasint bleeding out his inner demons, it was marshmallow and rainbows, how delightful.

RIP, youre gonna make the people that hold those things a nice few bob ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I dislike his work. This made me laugh though. It makes him seem human rather than some airy fairy painter of light. I can only take so many brightly lit windows before I start stressing about their electricity bills. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dazzlemoo

I absolutely adored his work and I'm so pleased to see someone mention him here. Not many people have heard of him.

Thomas Kinkade was often slated for his "kitsch" "chocolate box" art, but I personally think he had a huge talent for creating some wonderful masterpieces, filled with vibrancy, light, colour and warmth.

I never could afford a painting of his, but I do own some calendars and the pictures just make me feel so happy.

His work brought so much joy to so many and I would rather his art than the so-called art on show in some museums today.
    RIP Thomas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

megaten wrote: »
    He gets a lot of flak but the dude could actually paint. He just kind got caught up in his own marketing I think.

Here's one by him that doesn't look like it was painted using the essence of sugar.
    That's a beautiful scene. Most of his stuff isn't to my taste, but he was undeniably talented. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

thomur wrote: »
    A bit like Andri Rieu being looked down on by the classical set. Much more popular though. Great artists both
    And both could work for Disney, Andre Rieu's waltzes are pure Disney's Cinderella at the ball. It's all subjective , sure, but way too sugary for me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

megaten wrote: »

ACtually that painting is beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

QVC shopping channel art.

Taste is subjective of course but Kinkade's output appears awfully lurid to my eyes. RIP.

No American painter has captured light quite like Edward Hopper,

Advertisement