Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology mock question help???

• 09-04-2012 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Did my Bio mock a few days ago and this was one of the questions I couldn't get. Any help is appreciated. The question is below, word for word. Cheers peeps

A cell with 24 chromosomes in it's nucleus undergoes meiosis followed immediately by mitosis.
    1.How many chromosomes does each daughter cell have.
    2.If mitosis had preceded meiosis what effect, if any, would this have had on the number of daughter cells and chromosomes produced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Did my Bio mock a few days ago and this was one of the questions I couldn't get. Any help is appreciated. The question is below, word for word. Cheers peeps

A cell with 24 chromosomes in it's nucleus undergoes meiosis followed immediately by mitosis.
    1.How many chromosomes does each daughter cell have.
    2.If mitosis had preceded meiosis what effect, if any, would this have had on the number of daughter cells and chromosomes produced?

1. 12 I think

2. No effect

Feel free to correct me anyone if I'm wrong =) but as far as I know meoisis justs halves the number of chromosomes and mitosis maintains the same number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

If the original 24 chromosome cell undergoes meiosis first, each daughter cell has 12 chromosomes. If mitosis immediately follows, the next group of daughter cells will have 12 chromosomes.

If mitosis occurs first the original cell would divide and therefore the daughter cells would also have 24. If meiosis immediately follows these daughter cells would have 12 chromosomes.

In short, the answers are as follows:
    1. 12 chromosomes
    2. It would have no effect.

Advertisement