Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission??

• 09-04-2012 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Our neighbour is going planting about 30acres and some of it is very close to our house. I am wondering if you are supposed to get planning or what exactly are the regulations.

Another issue is that the dyke from our farm yard goes through this land and we usually give it a clean every few years and this access will be stopped once its planted.

Anyway appreciate any advise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

No planning as such needed unless over 25ha then the LA must be contacted. Have a look here at forestry code of best practice part 1 pg 13:

"The minimum distance between afforestation and dwellings or buildings is 60 m, unless the owner agrees to a closer set-back distance. The minimum distance between afforestation and public roads is 20 m for conifer species, and 10 m for broadleaf species."

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/publications/codeofbestforestpractice/

there is unfortunatly no rite to light in this country and you can only remove branches that overhang your property, as they represent a hazard, without killing the tree as you would be liable for that.

but it may well be worth asking the department directly here:

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/contact/

as regards the dyke I dont think you have any rights to anothers land and may need legal advices. is it like a stream in which case there are also planting distances and other requirements that must be observed

with both issues I would urge you to try to mediate a neighbourly solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

60m setback is correct. you could also ask them to stick in a few rows of broadleaves to break the view of the spruce (if its a spruce site). im sure they would oblige.

regarding the drain. i would ask that they leave a 5m gap to allow access to the drain for you to clean in the future, i've done this on a few sites and it didnt bother me at all. depending on the inspector in the area the forester mighnt want you to clean the drain before the 4 year inspection but after that there shouldnt be a problem.

if you dont know the owner (or get on with them) that well then deal with the forester doing the job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

regarding the drain. i would ask that they leave a 5m gap to allow access to the drain for you to clean in the future, i've done this on a few sites and it didnt bother me at all.

Who will be responsible for the silt traps when drain cleaning is being done?

You'll need an EIA, Fisheries Board approval and remedial measures; the land owner will be obliged to insist on all this!

Could get expensive.

Further downstream (or upstream) you can clear drains to your heart's content - but as soon as you establish a forest the Green Lunatics take over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ettellig

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Further downstream (or upstream) you can clear drains to your heart's content - but as soon as you establish a forest the Green Lunatics take over :D
    Often wondered why these twits are not taken on. A couple of FS Inspectors have told me that they are sick of new directived on what NOT to do...all apparantly for environmental reasons.

Ettellig wrote: »
    A couple of FS Inspectors have told me that they are sick of new directived on what NOT to do...all apparantly for environmental reasons.

I'd reckon the FS inspectors could push back against these impositions way more than they do. Sometimes it appears they revel in them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ettellig

I'd reckon the FS inspectors could push back against these impositions way more than they do. Sometimes it appears they revel in them :mad:

Question of not rocking the boat I suppose. What happened to them...they were once so idealistic......

Who will be responsible for the silt traps when drain cleaning is being done?

You'll need an EIA, Fisheries Board approval and remedial measures; the land owner will be obliged to insist on all this!

Could get expensive.

really dont think you'll need an EIA in majority of cases. and the main think (which i already said above) is wait after the til after the first 4 years.

theres a certain inspector who has insisted on drains being cleared in neighbouring forestry before allowing new affor adjacent to it....he has a small bit of common sense at least

neighbouring forestry before allowing new affor adjacent to it....he has a small bit of common sense at least

Neighbouring forest owned by someone else?

If so, that is the antithesis of common sense :cool:

Neighbouring forest owned by someone else?

If so, that is the antithesis of common sense :cool:

yep different owner

why so? id rather a properly drained site to plant into than a half waterlogged one, reduces windblow risk as well

(put them sunglasses back in your pocket)

yep different owner

why so?

'Cos they have no leverage over the owner of the existing forest who probably detests them :cool:

• Advertisement

i dont know many owners who'd have a problem getting drains cleared for free

i dont know many owners who'd have a problem getting drains cleared for free

Don't you know any environmentalists? Lucky guy :cool:

Advertisement