Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options to increase my Broadband Speed from 7MB

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    What does Homevision indicate in their checker? http://www.homevision.ie/broadband1.aspx

3.37mb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

3.37mb :(

Just did a line check with them there saying my line quality is 21.22 MB if so why is Eircom only giving me 6 Meg of that? I asked Eircom could they increase my speed they said no.

Thanks Sponge Bob for the Homevision link, I never heard of them to be honest, but they look like they fit the bill.
    They could do with updating their site though, they are offering free wifi in the Dockland area until 2010
    http://www.homevision.ie/docknet.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Will that provider home vision supply the 7 MB my line is currently capable of or are they like vodafone capped at 3 MB unless its an NGB connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

iPhone. wrote: »
    I would however still like to give Eircom a final chance to retain my business before committing myself to another provider. To this end I would appreciate if you could arrange for someone in the cancellation team to contact me , preferably someone who has the authority to possibly do something as the regular agents don`t seem to be briefed at all as to the fact you even have a cancellation team.

Not knocking your agents by the way. They have been very courteous to me, just speaking from experience.

Hi iPhone.,

I am arranging this callback for you, however I have to confirm that I have the correct mobile number. I have PM'd you with the mobile we have on record, can you reply to that just to confirm please? Also an email address if you can. Hopefully they can come to a satisfactory resolution for you.

BUMPITY BUMP BUMP BUMP....

also James, could you let me know if I can get home turbo on my line? Just curious as it is now showing as an option for me on bonkers.ie

Thanks

Have checked this on our internal systems and can confirm that the max speed at the moment is still at 'up to' 7.6mb. I'm not sure what criteria the bonkers.ie and homevision.ie sites use to prequalify the lines but according to my info it hasn't changed. I think their line checker may just check the exchange that you are connected to rather than the individual line. Sorry I can't deliver better news on this front. PM is on the way, can you reply please whenever you get a chance.

Cheers

James

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I would like to know the same.

Hi Zimmerframe,

Have tested your line using the phone number from a previous query and can confirm that the max speed this line can take is around 4mb. There are many reasons why this can occur, usually distance from the exchange. The DSL signal will travel roughly 8km before the signal drops off completely, with speed reducing gradually along the way. There is a 24mb speed available from the Williamstown exchange, just not at the area you are in unfortunately. Again, not sure about the accuracy of the third party line checkers, I can only vouch for our own internal one, which is very rarely wrong as it is a detailed automated line test.

Regards

James

Thanks James.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think their line checker may just check the exchange that you are connected to rather than the individual line.

They should have access to the same database that eircom does. I checked a recently NGB'd exchange and they were offering the 24mbit product on shorter lines and also allowed for numbers that were put onto a roadside cab some years back....so it wasn't just a simple number block check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Eircom will sell it to you even if you cannot get it anyway. (voice of experience)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They won't sell you an up to 24mbit package if the line test shows it won't do 10mbits or 12mbits...it was 12mbits at one point anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Just bumping this thread again to show the ridiculous depths to which Eircom have sank and to act as an information source for others who may chance upon this thread later, and hopefully it will help them come to a decision which will help them avoid having to put up with the same pathetic customer service I have had to endure recently.

I did respond to the Eircom reps pm and confirmed they had the correct phone number on record etc. Now I see that was just another stalling tactic by them.

Anyway, I never got the call from the customer service/cancellation team as promised........... no followup from the reps on here either to check if I had. Eircom are obviously not interested in retaining a customer of over 17 years total loyalty who always paid his bills on time, everytime. It is so apalling to me at this time in our countries history, when ordinary decent people and ordinary decent companies, need every penny they can lay their hands on to be treated in this manner by a totally lethargic company such as Eircom.

You don't deserve my custom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Just bumping this thread again to show the ridiculous depths to which Eircom have sank and to act as an information source for others who may chance upon this thread later, and hopefully it will help them come to a decision which will help them avoid having to put up with the same pathetic customer service I have had to endure recently.

I did respond to the Eircom reps pm and confirmed they had the correct phone number on record etc. Now I see that was just another stalling tactic by them.

Anyway, I never got the call from the customer service/cancellation team as promised........... no followup from the reps on here either to check if I had. Eircom are obviously not interested in retaining a customer of over 17 years total loyalty who always paid his bills on time, everytime. It is so apalling to me at this time in our countries history, when ordinary decent people and ordinary decent companies, need every penny they can lay their hands on to be treated in this manner by a totally lethargic company such as Eircom.

Hi iPhone
    I have spoken with the cancellation team again and they have promised to give you a call back today. I do understand your frustration at the delay and my apologies that this did not happen when first requested.
    I have been assured you will receive this call today and I will be following up on this.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭Varik

J

They'll still be getting paid for the line, and can still ruin it when you change over to a new provider.

Rewired house and now have far less noise on line but the modem did not sync any higher, got on to Vodafone and apparently Eircom have set a limit on the line even thought the stats say it's better they say. No chance to change it sort it as i'm not an Eircom customer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ok i dont get this, any time i contact eircom about getting something faster im told my line can only support up to 7mb.
    That homevision line tester is saying i can get up to 18.66 mb.

Advertisement