Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An old boys club

2»

Comments

krd wrote: »
    No....It means he is a person more worthy of respect than some others. A man who has struggled against the odds, the school ties, the funny handshakes, the nods and winks. Someone, who has succeed in life, against adversity, and on their merit alone.

Do you get sponsored for each unnecessary comma you use?

Anyway, I simply meant that someone who attended an inner city Christian Brothers school was not hindered in his career path because he didn't go to Belvedere or Clongowes.

He got there on his merits, hence a meritocratic system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Do you get sponsored for each unnecessary comma you use?

I will use, my commas,,,,,in whatever manner, I thinks suits.

Anyway, I simply meant that someone who attended an inner city Christian Brothers school was not hindered in his career path because he didn't go to Belvedere or Clongowes.

He got there on his merits, hence a meritocratic system.

Okay.....Right...let's see a statistical breakdown of those who did, and did not, attend fee paying schools, within the profession. And then compare the figures against the general population........And then maybe,, my friend, we can determine whether it's meritocratic or not.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Kayroo wrote: »
    I'm confused. Does that make him part of the old boy net or someone who succeeded from outside it?

The latter surely?

Oh right. I thought that the CBS in blackrock, monkstown, singe street etc were well known well respected and/or posh schools

Krd, this is all incredibly speculative. Simple satistics won't tell you the whole picture. If someone gets a better education in one school than in another and therefore goes to college and goes on to become a barrister, that doesn't mean that there is anything exclusionary as you are suggesting. Yet you would suggest that it is evidence of the existence of these elitest customs and a kind of Masonic system controlling the whole thing.

Oh right. I thought that the CBS in blackrock, monkstown, singe street etc were well known well respected and/or posh schools

I couldn't tell you about CBS Blackrock or Monkstown, but Synge street, although it's a school many well known names went to (Gay Bryne, for instance), wouldn't be particularly that posh. It's the school all the local kids from de flats went to. And yeah, it might be a nice looking neighbourhood now. And during the boom times, you could expect to pay half million for a little house there, go back a few years further and it was very much inner city.
    Krd, this is all incredibly speculative. Simple satistics won't tell you the whole picture.

Statistics don't give you the full picture. They just give you indications of way things are. They're just numbers.

If someone gets a better education in one school than in another and therefore goes to college and goes on to become a barrister, that doesn't mean that there is anything exclusionary as you are suggesting.

I wasn't suggesting anything. I merely said let's look at the statistics, if they're available. We haven't seen them yet. I mean, if only a tiny portion of people in the country go to fee paying schools - and if then in law, the representation is not the same as the distribution in the general population. Then there is any number of narratives you could draw. The schools could just be damn good value for money.
    Yet you would suggest that it is evidence of the existence of these elitest customs and a kind of Masonic system controlling the whole thing.

I never said anything like that. If we could see the statistics, and if they showed the same distribution for fee paying/non-fee paying schoolings, as the general population. Then, once and for all, we could lay the argument to rest. The law would have been proven to be meritocratic, as far as having the privilege of attending fee-paying schools was concerned.

And if, the distribution were different than the general population, we'd just have to think up another narrative to explain away the discrepancy.

I'm sick to death about all the old school tie allegations - let's see the statistics, and show the inverted-snobs, how wrong they all are.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Produce the statistics upon which you rely?

Tom Young wrote: »
    Produce the statistics upon which you rely?

Love of God.........Nowhere did I ever say I had the stats.

I said if.....And if we had the stats, we could lay the argument to rest. Couldn't we?

What are ye all like. Do ye read through documents and see clauses that are not there, and then argue on the basis that they are.

However. If anyone has a list of all the members of the society - one that lists their education. I will happily go through it myself, and create the stats

And then, once we have the evidence before us, we can pass judgement.

Give'm a fair trial, as they say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Judge Peter Kelly went to a CBS

So did Judge Frank Clarke.

Advertisement