Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ielts General training exam

Options
  • 09-04-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi , Im looking for information about the IELTS exam . Has anyone here done it ? Would anyone have any figures or estimates on the average result Irish people get . I need an overall result of 7 and really nervous with the July changes coming up .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Do a search of the forum - you'll find plenty of people have done it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Im doing mine saturday week, need all 8s:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dec05

Practice practice practice.

Also, have a read of how they do the marking - how they allocate the marks etc, For a native english speaker its not about having your english tested its about exam technique, answering exactly whats required, structure etc.

I have just put up my ielts practice materials for sale on adverts, but theres also plenty of stuff online.

Good luck !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rediguana25

You should be fine as long as you take it reasonably seriously - I found a couple of the reading comprehension questions a bit ambiguous so you may find that you're not sure which multiple choice question is correct....but you'll be fine. The oral exam is a bit ridiculous but just go with it..they can hop from one topic to another - I was talking about a serious news story then she stopped me and asked me about how people in ireland don't spend enough time on housekeeping......The written part was a bit like being back in school I had to write a letter to my friend inviting her to dinner and describing the restaurant...obviously very easy..there was also an essay but again it was basic....as i said take it seriously have a look online for sample questions ...best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

waiting on my 3rd results .:mad:
    Its a bit of a balls , keep at it and youll get there as a previous post said practice practice .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

teepee wrote: »
    waiting on my 3rd results .:mad:
    Its a bit of a balls , keep at it and youll get there as a previous post said practice practice .

Cheers for the replies ,

Did my exam in Dublin about a month ago. Got the results 15 days later , Speaking 9 , Listening 9, Writing 8.5, Reading 6.5 overall 8 .
    Australian immigration require at least 7 in each band .

I guess I was nervous on the day so made simple mistakes on the reading part .

The whole exam makes no sense in relation to immigration , costs too much ,has long waiting lists , very stressful and then theres the uncertainty of waiting for at least 13 days for the results .

Goodluck to anyone doing it or waiting on results

Hi all ,
    Got my results from my 3rd Ielts GT on monday , failed it again , its very disapointing and heart breaking , also missing the july 1st dead line .
    Its not easy when you have dyslexia :mad: I will keep at it to pass .

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

I assume you are trying to gain points for a visa maybe get somemore work experience i think its 3 years at home and then theres more points for 12 months in Oz (i may be wrong) then the 25 to 32 age group is the best, keep trying goodluck.
    Same happened us 8 and 9 but 6.5 in one so its worth fook all i dont think the IELTS is as easy as people think

Hi all ,
    Just an update and some advise to does on the bumpy road to IELTS ,
    I am heading for my 4th IELTS exam now :eek: .
    Spending most of my time studying know taken leave of work to do so :( . I found this web site that might help does in need of help .
    https://ielts-higher.haikulearning.com
    It has 16 exam samples with the anwsers . I find it brillant and feeling alot more confident into the next exam .

Teepee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I got the results of my second IELTS yesterday, focking reading is focking me up,6.5 both times, everything else fine :-(
    Anyway i have missed the boat with the new deadlines so dont know what to do now really. Could apply under the new rules but how long would that take! Think my ACS is valid for two years though which aint too bad. Keep at it Teepee :-)

p.s Have you a username and password for that site :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Don't we get the points for English anyway being from an English speaking country? How does it work?

Don't we get the points for English anyway being from an English speaking country? How does it work?

In short no , that's why we have to do the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

Ielts is definitely challenging and the key is understanding the format of the exam and how it is marked.

Most people underestimate just how hard it is to pass this test so it is good to see people being honest on here.

Another helpful website is dcielts.com.

Good Luck to all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

teepee wrote: »
    Hi all ,
    Just an update and some advise to does on the bumpy road to IELTS ,
    I am heading for my 4th IELTS exam now :eek: .
    Spending most of my time studying know taken leave of work to do so :( . I found this web site that might help does in need of help .
    https://ielts-higher.haikulearning.com
    It has 16 exam samples with the anwsers . I find it brillant and feeling alot more confident into the next exam .

Teepee :D

Hi Teepee,

Do you have a usename & password for that link please?

User name and passwords are now out of date , its 50 Euros thats not bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

I did it and got all 9s and a 7 in the reading section.

I think they should revise this section as the questions are so vague its unbelievable.

I got what I needed but if I didn't I would be fuming.

Advertisement