Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embed YouTube as HTML5

Options
  • 09-04-2012 8:39pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any way to embed youtube clips as HTML5 rather than Flash? I'm not quite sure how to explain it but I can watch a given clip on YouTube.com without the Flash plugin but not embedded on boards. I guess this has come up before for iPad users?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

pickarooney i dont think it's something boards has control over the video format codecs in the browser, i can't play embedded youtube videos on the mobile either, mine is a nokia X6.

the inbuilt nokia browser completely refuses to play them, throwing up an out of memory error in a youtube heavy thread while it's loading the thread, and the opera browser the page takes an age to load, and when i click on an embedded link, it opens realplayer to play the file.

the actual youtube app on my phone has no problems with any files though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

this is something that mobile safari is actually quite good at detecting, it recognises embeds from youtube and can play them inline or open them up in the dedicated youtube app on iOS devices, so iPad/iPhone users will have zero problems.

Point noted about people who have html 5 browsers and wish not to have flash installed, it's something that we should look into, but at the moment development on boards' current user interface is pretty much stalled as we're at the very very very early stages at looking at a redesign.

I'll have a chat tomorrow with the lads as just having a quick look on youtube's api blog brought me to this - http://apiblog.youtube.com/2010/07/new-way-to-embed-youtube-videos.html.

basically - as i have zero knowledge of bbcode

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you are on a Mac, there is an extension for Safari that forces Youtube videos to load as HTML5. It works well. I don't have Flash installed.

http://www.verticalforest.com/youtube5-extension/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

There's an issue open for this now and I'm sure somebody (*crosses fingers, points towards Neil* :pac:) will knock it on the head at some stage this week if you guys feel like waiting for a bit :)

Had a chance to have a quick look at this and as a proof of concept it works. dropped the new tags in, uninstalled flash and it works great 90%.

Problems come in with youtube's right click menu which causes to do some funky stuff making the video unwatchable.

More on this soon...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Good stuff :)

Seems like the bug is only affecting chrome browsers, unfortunately as ~30% of our users use chrome I can't set it live with it broken :). Still keeping eyes peeled for a workaround.

Trialed this out today for about 5 minutes before swiftly going back, it just interferes with our site too much at the moment.

1. the videos hovered over the beta menu, rendering it useless.
    2. it ran dogged slow on any threads that were youtube embed heavy.
    3. the issue mentioned above with youtube's right click menu is a problem which only google can fix.

It's something that we've noted for inclusion if any of the above change.

Sorry.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement