Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone ever remarked on your Irish accent

• 09-04-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

At home or abroad, people seem to like it, although sometimes I reckon it's the Northern one they think of :) Any stories guys ? :D
    Edit : Forgot to add my story. Two weeks ago I was talking to a Swedish guy, he was sound, and I said I'm surprised you didn't think I was English as most foreigners can think this when they hear you speaking English. He said no it was really easy to see I was Irish with the accent :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Had a nice American lady comment on mine at the American embassy a few months ago. Pity I'm South African!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Americans and Australians seem to like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Wall E wrote: »
    At home or abroad, people seem to like it, although sometimes I reckon it's the Northern one they think of :) Any stories guys ? :D

I once met a group of Swiss people in South East Asia who tried to convince me that I couldn't possibly be Irish as my accent didn't fit into whatever idea of an Irish accent they had. Given that the only Irish accents in film tend to be northern, northside Dublin or potato munching 19th century peasant I can hardly blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I live in Canada, they LOVE it. I get compliments all the time, people said they could listen to me for hours. Which is amazing cause I talk a whole lot of crap a lot of the time.

Got it a whole lot when I lived in the states before too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I've been told mine is flat! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

A lot of counties seem to like it alright, but none more so than our nearest and dearest neighbors, in particular women from around London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

I've had people comment on my 'British' accent...I've no link to the UK whatsoever and would be a of a nationalist myself so I now put 'h's in the middle of words to try and cover the accent.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I live in Canada, they LOVE it. I get compliments all the time, people said they could listen to me for hours. Which is amazing cause I talk a whole lot of crap a lot of the time.

Got it a whole lot when I lived in the states before too.

Quite a few folks thought I was canadian when I was abroad and also met a fair few Canadians who were mistaken for Irish too. Think it could be the Newfoundland accent that does it, or maybe Nova Scotia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Got it in the states plenty of times. Really does well with the women!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Quite a few folks thought I was canadian when I was abroad and also met a fair few Canadians who were mistaken for Irish too. Think it could be the Newfoundland accent that does it, or maybe Nova Scotia.

I live in Newfoundland, accent is similar enough to Irish. Sometimes I can't really tell if a person is Irish or from the bay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

I'm always asked what part of Canada i am from :eek: always!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

an english girl did in greece years ago, saying that she loved it. ended up riding her that night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Aye shurley hiy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

English women seem to like it, was over in Liverpool recently for a weekend and they told us they loved the Irish accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Accent? vot accent, I zont haff no accent:D

At Christmas last year in England with the boyfriend's family, we were laughing about how his American boss can't pronounce my name nor understand much of what I say, boyfriend's gran remarked "Yeah, but you have a really, really Irish accent, you know?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Yeah it goes down well alright, I work in a bar in Cardiff and the english and welsh love it,

If i'm serving a tidy wan at the bar i'll lay it on right and thick

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Living abroad in Wales the past few months and it's usually the first thing anyone mentions when I talk to them.I've never been really conscience of my accent but its really jarring compared to the mix of different dialects of British accents I hear.

Only thing about this is sometimes they want me to say thirty three and two thirds which was funny the first 3 times...I haven't necessarily been lucky with it.Methinks I should of went to the States instead :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Talkin to a Dub once, told him I was from Tipp, and he said, " I know, you have a Templemore accent"

Thought twas a bit weird he got it so specific.

An American was onced shocked I was able to speak english, being Irish and all...

Domo230 wrote: »
    Well how do you pronounce your name

Is it pronounced like budgeys????

No, it rhymes with Fabreeze! :mad:

• Advertisement

At Christmas last year in England with the boyfriend's family, we were laughing about how his American boss can't pronounce my name nor understand much of what I say, boyfriend's gran remarked "Yeah, but you have a really, really Irish accent, you know?"

Siobhan? Aoife? Sinead? Niamh?

Heard loads of people have trouble with those :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

My late uncle worked in Ford's of Dagenham for decades. Once, after he'd been in England for 30 years or so, an English fellow in a pub asked him: "'Ere Paddy, how come you never lost your Irish accent?":).

My uncle replied: "Sure I never found a better one!":D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Yeah, once when I was in the States - they thought I had a very singsong accent. I don't think it's all that musical - it's just that my voice is very light and quite high-pitched.
    On accents, I remember a few years ago a situation where a contingent from the London office descended on our office for a few weeks. One of the women was - we worked out, from her accent, Irish - and one of my colleagues, while chatting to her, asked casually, 'By the way, what part of Ireland are you from?'
    She practically turned white with rage because somebody had rumbled her Irish roots after all her years in Lahndan.
    Of course, it turned out that she was really from Meath, so she came with a *lot* of baggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

It's pronounced Shy-oh-bon actually
    Aye-oh-fee
    Sign-add
    and Neeam-huh

All with the second name Byrne
    pronounced BIRON!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No such thing as a Tipperary accent, it's all very neutral
    Nobody has ever said you've a difficult to understand accent

Yet a taximan in Dublin asked me where I was from and I didn't sound Irish???
    And this was the afternoon, no drink taken.
    Maybe the taximan was the one with the drink taken

Can't understand how that happened :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I a foreigner and I am getting a cork/ northern Ireland accent. Everyone who knows me love it! :)

Heard loads of people have trouble with those :D

Deirdre - of all easy enough names to pronounce ffs! Thing was, he'd seen it written before he heard it pronounced. Then when he asked me how to pronounce it, turned out he couldn't understand the Irish accent at all. Bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

mikemac1 wrote: »
    :

I've been told several times there's a tipp accent, though I don't hear it myself. Lots of people I've met have guessed where I'm from from my accent.

I a foreigner and I am getting a cork/ northern Ireland accent.

Cork and nordie?

Jaysus, sounds painful :pac:

Everyone who knows me love it! :)

They were just being nice to your face and didn't want to hurt your feelings

Sorry :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

srsly?

EDIT:should probably expand, know a fair few Tipp people (living in Dublin) and used to go there on hols, and ok, there probably isn't a specific accent exclusive to the county but it sounds to me like the "authentic " non-Dub, non-Nordie non-Cork Irish accent a lot of actors in movies/TV shows attempt. Like a default Irish accent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I've got plenty of action using my Irish accent. Americans, Finnish, English, Icelandics, Japanese, spainish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

In a store in Chicago, the sales assistant asked where I was from. I replied Ireland.

She commented that my accent was so good.

Sorry I say. :confused:

You speak our language so well she says. :rolleyes:

I laughed all the way up Michigan Avenue. Idiot.

I can recognise a Tipp accent, oddly. I'm from Wexford myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

my cavan accent has netted me a nice venezuelan chica!....who would have thought it eh? and she says my accent melts her ...wohoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

On the piss in London one night with an english friend and her mates. Her sister tells me that my accent makes her moist.

I spent the night whispering "Tirty tree and a tird" in her ear in the hope of a shag.

• Advertisement

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    I've been told several times there's a tipp accent, though I don't hear it myself. Lots of people I've met have guessed where I'm from from my accent.

Well, possibly that does be the way you do be talking, you know like well
    People do be hearing it as you do be speaking. Tis the way ;)

Maybe but tbh, Offaly and Kilkenny are much the same
    Laois too, it's nothing special

Now down around Carrick on Suir they talk like those deise yahoos :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

German people always remark on my Dutch accent.

I have never been to the Netherlands, nor can I speak Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OneArt wrote: »
    German people always remark on my Dutch accent.

I have never been to the Netherlands, nor can I speak Dutch.
    The good old Irish and hollish mix up. Had it happen a few times

stinkle wrote: »

EDIT:should probably expand, know a fair few Tipp people (living in Dublin) and used to go there on hols, and ok, there probably isn't a specific accent exclusive to the county but it sounds to me like the "authentic " non-Dub, non-Nordie non-Cork Irish accent a lot of actors in movies/TV shows attempt. Like a default Irish accent!

You've explained it better then I ever could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I have a bastard child of an Arklow and Balbriggan accent, so people often ask me where I'm from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

You've explained it better then I ever could
    bahaha! should also include the non-country-girl-whos-just-moved-to-a-city-"neutral"-accent accent! Know a few Mayo heads who insist they have a "neutral" accent but actually they actively try to sound D4! Embrace the local accents I say :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

American girls love it,one girl just asked me to tell her a story, jez she was soaking

I have a bastard child of an Arklow and Balbriggan accent, so people often ask me where I'm from.

I grew up in Wexford, moved to south Dublin and picked up a posh accent, then years later I moved to Balbriggan and suddenly, when people asked how old I was, I was "twenty noine". I pick up accents easily. Now I'm back in south Dublin with a few country flatmates I'm from Wexford again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

all the time here in toronto all i hear is "i love your accent" works wonders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sar_Bear wrote: »

Of course there is a Tipp accent, every town in Tipp has a different one.
    I'm over in London and people usually tell I'm Irish and even list many counties they know I'm not from. But I have yet to find someone who got it right.
    Also because of the flat accent Tipp people tend to pick up other accents fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

tuxy wrote: »
    Of course there is a Tipp accent, every town in Tipp has a different one.
    I'm over in London and people usually tell I'm Irish and even list many counties they know I'm not from. But I have yet to find someone who got it right.

The Kinninaskully accent.

tuxy wrote: »

True, very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Wall E wrote: »
    Edit : Forgot to add my story. Two weeks ago I was talking to a Swedish guy, he was sound, and I said I'm surprised you didn't think I was English as most foreigners can think this when they hear you speaking English. He said no it was really easy to see I was Irish with the accent :D

I have been in the position where people have done the 'I.CANNOT.UNDERSTAND.YOU.' thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

All the time, it's quite a handy tool when you're abroad I think.

Depending on where you're from though I think you need to be strategic about your accent - we tend to talk ridiculously quick and swear a hell of a lot, and I've met a few Irish over here who have such strong (usually Cork or Dub) accents that Canadians just stand there with a confused expression on their faces when they talk.

I talk far slower here when I'm at work and swear about 5% of what I usually would at home. They lap it up though, I hear 'what a charming accent!' at least once a day:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

They love it in NZ - always getting compliments on it. It comes in handy because I've a job where I deal with people's salaries and I often have to say no to pay increases and things. I've been told it's easier hearing it because I have a nice accent!! :)

I think my accent is quite mild but apparently you can tell straight away that it is Irish - when I was home last my friends said they could hear a kiwi twang in it. I need to watch that before I start looking for fush and chips and saying know-an and show-an instead of known and shown!

I've had to slow down though because I was talking to fast. I deal with someone from Dublin o the phone every so often and people say they can't understand me at all when they hear me talking to him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement