Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone ever remarked on your Irish accent

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Very few people can tell that I've an Irish accent. It's very, very neutral. I usually leave people guessing where I'm from for a while before the say Ireland.. :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

In Old Navy in San Fran
    "Oh I love your British accent"
    "I'm from Ireland actually..."
    *looks confused*
    "But aren't they the same???"

Another thing, I previously worked with a company in the UK, have English relatives etc.. without fail they all comment on how Irish people pronounce words. They seem to think it's hilarious. I would never ever comment on other peoples accents, but nearly every English person I've met thinks our pronunciation is a big joke and try to get people to repeat words or sayings....Idiots.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

One American chap guessed I was Russian from my accent. The red hair and freckles didn't tip him off :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

English birds love it... the amount time I've gotten the sex cause of it. Fecking marvellous. ....Sluts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

A lot of people here think I'm either American or Canadian. I certainly do have an Irish accent so I don't know where they're getting that idea from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

more the lack of it anytime I travel abroad

cunts, we dont all speak like we have muck in our mouths :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Was told by an American girl once that us Irish cant pronounce our "TH's" and that this was the only way she could distinguish between Irish and other English speaking accents

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm from Cork and tend to befriend lots of Americans, had one girlfriend who is American who I went to visit last year, I spent about 2 hours one night just saying stuff so her and her friends could laugh over the accent. If I ever again hear someone say "Say Thirty three and a third" again, I'll cry. Apparently we say it like turty tree and a turd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Very few people can tell that I've an Irish accent. It's very, very neutral. I usually leave people guessing where I'm from for a while before the say Ireland.. :(

me to i got a really soft neutral voice most people think I'm from scandinavia or something :confused:

I prefer not having some ahhh sure accent :pac:

who am i kid din I'm a west brit :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

One American chap guessed I was Russian from my accent. The red hair and freckles didn't tip him off :pac:

I met a Russian lad at a house party one night, and he had ginger hair and freckles. Just assumed he was Irish until i spoke to him. Apparently it's rare but not completely unknown for Russian's to be of the ginger persuasion! I'd say he got an unmerciful mocking in school:D

I grew up in the north of England, moved here 14 years ago and live half way between Cork and Limerick and my accent is mangled! I often get asked what part of Dublin i'm from:confused:. I have no ties with Dublin, and don't have any friends or family from there, but people seem to think I sound like a Dub, even though I think me accent is still half English. Was up there for a weekend a couple of years ago, and asked a tour bus driver for directions to Dublin zoo, and he said to me "what are ya asking me for? sure aren't you from Dublin?". I think he thought I was taking the piss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Lived in Germany for a few months and whenever I said Dublin they'd all say it back to me laughing because apparently I say it in such a typical way? :confused: Same went for any word with a U in it actually..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Been told I've a bogger accent quite a bit. Mainly by my Ma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I live in Newfoundland, accent is similar enough to Irish. Sometimes I can't really tell if a person is Irish or from the bay!

Apparently there were considerable levels of immigration from Ireland to Newfoundland between the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries. Could explain the vaguely similar accents.

In fact, Tim Pat Coogan described Newfoundland as "the most Irish place outside of Ireland".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Yes. I was out in Manchester with a friend a few months ago after a United match. Got stopped by at least 5 for 10 minutes each just wanting to hear us say different things. It's unreal. I'll definitely be heading back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

ted1 wrote: »
    I've got plenty of action using my Irish accent. Americans, Finnish, English, Icelandics, Japanese, spainish

Lucky B*stard :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭HenryChinaski

My accent has gotten me laid a few times. I always get compliments on it and people generally recognize it as Irish more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

I was in New York for the summer on a J1 with my best friend. We were heading out and for some reason we'd had an argument at the house while pre-drinking. Being drunken Irish girls, we decided to head out regardless, and proceeded to continue fighting for the duration of the taxi journey to the bar, and then outside on the street when we arrived. Anyway, we were there arguing in the street when we noticed that there were two cars parked nearby with the windows rolled down and several young American guys hanging out of the windows watching the whole thing - we paused with our insults to stare back at them, and were met with a lot of sheepish faces 'til one guy eventually chimed in: 'Sawwree ladies, but we just love listening to your accents!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

yes loads, mostly the " you don't even have an accent " ****e... but its until folks get to know me then they realise ive the most irish accennt of all they've met... which could be a good or bad thing; im not really bothered.

Lots of frogeiners do mention it though... namely when im beign a forgeiner andd they say are you from scotland/england and then when you say irelande...

Their is no question, you're not gettin the un ride that night.... giggity giggity rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

markie29 wrote: »
    my cavan accent has netted me a nice venezuelan chica!....who would have thought it eh? and she says my accent melts her ...wohoo

EEEHHH you must be a "quare" good looking fella cause it certainly wasn't the accent;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Someone From the west remarked on my dublin accent (which is a three hour drive from where i grew up).. i remarked on the dublin accent in dublin so i'd say this particular man would need a good lie down when / if he ever does visit dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yeah, Last week at a bank. The lady asked me if I was Irish and what part I was from. I said Galway and she got excited because she'd heard Galway girl in the movie PS I love you.

I think some Irish people don't like it when Americans get excited about the whole being Irish thing...probably because a lot of Irish people have a stick up their arse when it comes to Americans. But it's no worse than if I met somebody from Germany or France or whatever when I was back in Galway. You try to make conversation and talk about what you know about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I just had a conversation with a colleague where she said she "wanted" my accent - I thought of this thread :). In my head when I speak I don't have one, you can never hear your own accent so what's the point in having mine?!

She also got me to say "would you like a cup of tea, father?" repeatedly. I obliged, but got less enthusiastic each time I had to say it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

American girls love it! I just want to live there 'cause I know be having sex all the time.

I'm an English teacher in the Czech Republic. I find some students have trouble with my accent, especially at lower levels. Most of them are used to having teachers who are English people with clipped Home Counties accents or Czechs with American accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:D When I lived abroad was told my accent was sexy,and a delight to listen to, Here in Ireland I am told I have a squeaky voice :eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

Loads times I've been told I have both a posh accent. About the same amount of times I've been told I've a complete knacker accent. By Irish and foreigners. The Rathfarnham accent is a sound of its own!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

Can't believe no one has told one of those totally true AH stories of how they were just about to get gang raped for being English when their Irish accent saved them and they all went happily to the nearest bar for a Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I was in the people republic of cork at the weekend and they liked my Irish accent (donegal), at least i think they said I liked it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

markie29 wrote: »
    my cavan accent has netted me a nice venezuelan chica!....who would have thought it eh? and she says my accent melts her ...wohoo

Christ, I thought the Venezuelans had standards...Caaaaaaavan hiiiiiii.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Benny_Cake wrote: »

I once met a group of Swiss people in South East Asia who tried to convince me that I couldn't possibly be Irish as my accent didn't fit into whatever idea of an Irish accent they had. Given that the only Irish accents in film tend to be northern, northside Dublin or potato munching 19th century peasant I can hardly blame them.
    This ^

I was away on holiday and met some English guys that seemed a little confused about where I was from. I think when I said Ireland they were expecting either a Colin Farrell or a craggy island type of gig. They even told me what I should have spoken like "wun, tew, treeee" etc. Not bad guys though, ended up friends and still in touch with them.

Facking eejits :pac:

Advertisement