Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transatlantic flight times...

• 09-04-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Ain't it faster to fly home from say, New York than to fly there because of tail winds?...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Actually it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

Ain't it faster to fly home from say, New York than to fly there because of tail winds?...

Mostly yes,unless the jetstream is so far north or south that it can't be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Yea, they save fuel that way too. It should be cheaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Generally yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_Tracks

Tracks to Europe use the jetstream to their advantage by routing along the strongest tailwinds. Because of the difference in ground speed caused by the jetstream, westbound flights tend to be longer in duration than their eastbound counterparts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I can't remember but yes one way is quicker than the other I think. Think you are right OP. Its been a few years since I were in the big Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Yeah it can make quite a big difference, I think potentially an hour and a half or so quicker than the outbound flight (which it was close to flying back from NC a few times). Strangely though when I was flying back from the states in the summer it took longer than it did to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Actually they just fly straight up and wait for the earth to rotate a bit, then simply land again in the new spot.

biko wrote: »
    Actually they just fly straight up and wait for the earth to rotate a bit, then simply land again in the new spot.

Concorde used to chase the sun,more or less keeping up with the earth's rotation.So you are correct in a strange sort of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

It's true. Wherever I go, I go there eastwards.

Carrick on Shannon via Bangkok, Ballina via Tokyo, Longford via Singapore.

I've saved myself a small fortune through the years.

• Advertisement

It's true. Wherever I go, I go there eastwards.

Carrick on Shannon via Bangkok, Ballina via Tokyo, Longford via Singapore.

I've saved myself a small fortune through the years.

That's another sort of tail wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Flew to New York last year and the flight home was about an hour quicker than going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skyflyer

Of course. When I flew to JFK it took over 7 hours, but amazingly, it only took just under 5 hours coming back. I was shocked that we got home so quickly. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Domo230 wrote: »
    If theres a place where you should go to get the opinion of experienced pilots, it's Afterhours.

It's that co-pilot 'google' that you got to watch out for

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skyflyer

Or here... Click!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Technically, if a plane's maximum take-off weight (MTOW) is 985000 pounds (442253 kg) while the plane flys at precisely 421kmph, the cruising altitude a steady 47,000ft and the wind velocity doesn't rise above the atmospheric rate, then yore ma will always let me take her up the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Technically, if a plane's maximum take-off weight (MTOW) is 985000 pounds (442253 kg) while the plane flys at precisely 421kmph, the cruising altitude a steady 47,000ft and the wind velocity doesn't rise above the atmospheric rate, then yore ma will always let me take her up the arse.

Get off-line Dad. You're boring people again, as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Yup. I frequently fly from Dublin to Chicago. It's 8 hours over, 7/6 hours on the way home to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Flying back from Houston in 2009, it was over two hours shorter than the outward leg. At one point, according to the flight info display, we hit over 1100 km/h ground speed, meaning about 200 km/h tail wind. That would have been supersonic if it had been air speed. (Mach 1 at 11,000m = 1062 km/h).

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You can leave Dublin at 12pm and arrive in NY at 2pm, return can take nearly 10hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Why does the jet-lag hit so much worse on the return though? I'm never jet-lagged outbound but I'm destroyed for days when I get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

7 hours over, 5 hours back. give or take a little bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I drove from Sligo to Galway and back today.
    2.5 hours Sligo to Galway
    3.5 hours Galway to Sligo

I think it was longer going back because it was uphill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Commercial airliners are not allowed above 42,000 feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

its faster, but whatever, the flight time still sucks balls to LA 10-12hrs :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep. Lived in the US for 17 years. Came home several times a year. The trip TO here (regardless of where I was flying from, Atlanta, New York, Chicago etc) was always longer than the return leg.
    Why does the jet-lag hit so much worse on the return though? I'm never jet-lagged outbound but I'm destroyed for days when I get back.

Wouldn't mind knowing that too. My sleep pattern would be shattered for days after I'd get here, but going back to the US, I was perfectly fine the next day. Didn't matter what I did, sleep on the plane, don't sleep on the plane, take a nap when you get to Ireland, don't take a nap, I was fcuked either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Giselle wrote: »

Because usually you leave the US in the evening and arrive in Ireland the morning after at all hours, resulting in a night with no sleep, or nearly no sleep, and you still have a whole day to get through before it's bedtime again. On the way out to the US, you usually leave in the morning and arrive around lunchtime and you just go to bed a bit later than before. You just have the "It's been a long day" feeling going over, but coming back it's like going straight from evening to morning with no night.

Ive experienced jet lag going over to the states, which was absolutely horrible but on the way back it was fine. Maybe because our flight arrived here at 2am or so and I got some sleep.

London heathrows youtube channel uploaded a video that tells you how to beat jet leg. Im going to try it next month on a 15 hour flight/s

anybody have any tips on how to beat it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Ive experienced jet lag going over to the states, which was absolutely horrible but on the way back it was fine. Maybe because our flight arrived here at 2am or so and I got some sleep.

London heathrows youtube channel uploaded a video that tells you how to beat jet leg. Im going to try it next month on a 15 hour flight/s

anybody have any tips on how to beat it?

adjust to the time zone change before the day of your flight, or try to get a flight which arrives at night time where you are going so you can sleep when you get there and slip nice and easily into the new timezone :)

• Advertisement

IM0 wrote: »
    adjust to the time zone change before the day of your flight, or try to get a flight which arrives at night time where you are going so you can sleep when you get there and slip nice and easily into the new timezone :)

I have a flight that leaves at 9:30am Irish time, and arrives at the destination at 8:30am local time. I have to leave my house at 3:30am to get the bus to the airport. Its going to be hard to adjust to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hands cocoshovel some Valium and sleeping tablets. :D
    number10a wrote: »
    Because usually you leave the US in the evening and arrive in Ireland the morning after at all hours, resulting in a night with no sleep, or nearly no sleep, and you still have a whole day to get through before it's bedtime again. On the way out to the US, you usually leave in the morning and arrive around lunchtime and you just go to bed a bit later than before. You just have the "It's been a long day" feeling going over, but coming back it's like going straight from evening to morning with no night.

I don't think it is that simple. I have staggered thru many of those loooong hard days, where I land in Dublin at 8am, after not sleeping on the plane on the way over. I force myself to stay awake until bedtime. I go to bed at 9/10pm absolutely knackered. I am asleep before my head hits the pillow.

But then I am wide awake again at 2am, coz it is 7am back in the US and that is the time that my body clock is used to getting up at to go to work. Spend the next 5 hours tossing and turning trying to get to get back to sleep, but no joy. Before you know it it is 9am. The day starts for reals, and you HAVE to get up and do whatever it is you have to do. Another day totally knackered. You go to bed at bedtime, but once again you are wide awake at 2am. Rinse and repeat. It's effing brutal ! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I don't think it is that simple. I have staggered thru many of those loooong hard days, where I land in Dublin at 8am, after not sleeping on the plane on the way over. I force myself to stay awake until bedtime. I go to bed at 9/10pm absolutely knackered. I am asleep before my head hits the pillow.

But then I am wide awake again at 2am, coz it is 7am back in the US and that is the time that my body clock is used to getting up at to go to work. Spend the next 5 hours tossing and turning trying to get to get back to sleep, but no joy. Before you know it it is 9am. The day starts for reals, and you HAVE to get up and do whatever it is you have to do. Another day totally knackered. You go to bed at bedtime, but once again you are wide awake at 2am. Rinse and repeat. It's effing brutal ! :(

That can't be it. When it's 2am here it's 9pm in the US so you should be starting to feel sleepy then, not rearing to go. I dunno. It's one of life's evil mysteries. :(

Advertisement