Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying Lino

• 09-04-2012 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi

How hard is it to put lino down in a bathroom? I've got 4m squared to put down and it's not something I've ever done. I'm fairly okay at handiwork like painting and general jobs around the house but is it worth getting in an expert and how much would it cost?

Any hint's or tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

if you are good at handy-work it should be no problem to ya!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Its not too hard. NEED TO TAKE your time. I did 2 bathrooms perfectly and screwed up the last one as I got cocky and thought i was the cheese. Have a look at youtube there are demos how to do it there. The toilet bowl base is the hardest bit. Again I stress take your time. One slip of the stanley and you could ruin it. Also FRESH BLADES, Have a few fresh stanley blades as a dull stanley blade quite literally doesnt cut it. pardon the pun !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Sweep and vacuum the floor and try to get the floor as free as possible from anything that protrudes above the surface, that includes nail heads, grit/cement, etc. Failure to do this could result in little bumps appearing in the lino once it settles, which at best are unsightly or irritating and at worst could pierce or eventually wear through the covering.

Go slow, take your time. Check and double check before you cut. Always cut away far less that you think so that you have enough left on in case there is a misalignment anywhere. You can also trim more off later.

I removed the sink pedestal and ran the lino straight under. I also removed the fixing screws at the foot of the toilet bowl, raised it a little and slid the lino under that too. It's only a little movement so didn't upset the plumbing. Wasn't too hard finding the screw holes again with a screwdriver as the bowl stayed more or less in position. Had to cut around the soil pipe though.

Once you've it all laid out you can trim, but leave enough to tuck neatly under skirtings and the saddleboard. As mentioned above, use brand new blades.

Advertisement