Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alert...

Options
  • 09-04-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Not sure if they're any use or not (they seem good quality) but Superquinn are selling swingtop bottles of pink lemonade for only €2 each - 750ml with good quality wire swingtops and nice thick bottles... I picked up about 20 of them at the weekend from the one near Knocklyon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

good call, will have a look see later

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Sounds good. I am still capping my bottles atm but am looking to source a lot of swing tops. I am also going to check out the swing top attachments in the home brew shop for converting my old bottles over to swing tops.

I had a pain in the ass trying to cap a recent batch. I had never used perlenbacher bottlers before and got them from a friend who saved them for me. My god it was heartache trying to cap them. 1 smashed on me too :(

Quick look on superquinn shows me this

http://www.superquinn.ie/shopping/shopping/shop.aspx?prodid=90008515

It's clear glass. That's the only downside as far as I can tell. I would prefer a stock of brown but they would certainly come in handy if I was stuck. I keep my beer in a dark enclosed space anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yawns wrote: »
    I had never used perlenbacher bottlers before and got them from a friend who saved them for me. My god it was heartache trying to cap them. 1 smashed on me too :(
    Perlenbacher are twisty caps, so I am not sure if you are meant to be able to recap them at all. I also wondered if you could just screw the old cap back on, if you had thick gloves you could get it on tight again.

I would rather stick with swingtops as they are usually thicker glass too. The lemonade linked might also be in dunnes, it was a while ago but was expensive. I don't drink much lemonade so getting brown beer swingtops makes more sense, even if they cost more per ml. I would prefer 330ml or 500ml swingtops too

You could store the clear bottles in a sealed box to keep light out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I also picked up ten bags of Shamrock Sucrose for sixty cents per kilo bag I think it was, but it was Dextrose Monohydrate on the back, same as brewing sugar.
    Superquinn again.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

wet-paint wrote: »
    I also picked up ten bags of Shamrock Sucrose for sixty cents per kilo bag I think it was, but it was Dextrose Monohydrate on the back, same as brewing sugar.
    Superquinn again.

Thats a pretty good deal as well :-) I think we need a bargain alert stickie for all these!

• Advertisement

I also picked up ten bags of Shamrock Sucrose for sixty cents per kilo bag I think it was,
    viper123 wrote: »
    Thats a pretty good deal as well
    Maybe too good...

are you sure it said sucrose and not glucose? these glucose bags are usually 500g and about €1.20

So even if it is 500g it is really cheap, and its not like pizza or something, you never see standard sugar/glucose reduced to half price.

Sometimes the price per kilo thing on the shelf is incorrect too so maybe that was it. Otherwise it is indeed an amazing deal, more likely a mistake so stock up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

You're right, that's what it was. But the price was correct, it was a bin full of half price stuff, and there was maybe thirty bags of it, I snaffled a handful, but there was plenty left behind. Presumably it was approaching its sell by date, but I can't see sugar going off.
    Superquinn Qaterford, BTW.

Presumably it was approaching its sell by date, but I can't see sugar going off.
    aha, that makes sense, and you are right it doesn't really go off. Years ago there were no dates on sugar or most tinned foods. I think nowadays the dates on stuff like this is to stop old branded packets still turning up, or shops buying in bulk and having old tatty faded labels on stuff.

Some supermarkets might be just clearing space too -which reminds me, off to tesco to get my cheap easter eggs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

viper123 wrote: »
    Not sure if they're any use or not (they seem good quality) but Superquinn are selling swingtop bottles of pink lemonade for only €2 each - 750ml with good quality wire swingtops and nice thick bottles... I picked up about 20 of them at the weekend from the one near Knocklyon.
    wouldnt these be clear bottles?

Sugar is a good deal alright.

I used the perlenbacher bottles as I didn't realise they were twisties and I had nothing else! :( I got them capped in the end apart from 1 broken bottle. If I can convert them to swing tops I'll keep them, otherwise prob bin them when finished. They won't be used for capping purposes in future. Like yourself I prefer 330 or 500ml bottles.

Ah sure the oh is heading north tomorrow, might get to keep an eye out for a case or 2 of beer :D

• Advertisement

adamski8 wrote: »
    wouldnt these be clear bottles?

Yes they are. I provided a link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Yawns wrote: »
    Sounds good. I am still capping my bottles atm but am looking to source a lot of swing tops. I am also going to check out the swing top attachments in the home brew shop for converting my old bottles over to swing tops.

I got some of those, and I am not much of a fan. I think they only work with certain bottles, and not the mixed bag I had with me. BeerNut had more success than me though.

I see. I may still try them in future tho. I have 35 of those bottles and it would be nice if they worked well with the swing tops as it would mean less bottles for me to source. In saying that tho I think I should not brew too much in the near future as I have a lot as it is. I should take a pic of my press now atm :D

It's quite nice having such a large supply. Only thing is most of it needs longer bottle conditioning atm.

Advertisement