Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Fuse Board

Options
  • 09-04-2012 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Urgent!!!!!!
    Upon inspection I discovered that the main live wires entering and exiting the main fuse via a 63A MCB had melted their insulation.I checked for loose connections but all were tight.The fuse board is 30 yrs old so I decided to fit a new board as an urgent emergency.
    I installed an up to date board with MCBs&RCD.
    All worked out ok as I installed as per old instalation,execept for the new RCD.I rewired all my sockets/shower/and outside shed to their MCBs with their neutrals to the RCDs neutral connector bar.
    All worked ok.
    My question is my lights and cooker are wired throuigh their MCBs with their neutrals wired to the other side of the RCDS neutral connecting bar.
    Is this correct and ok as all is working satasfactory?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Im not being funny but if you are competent enough the change a fuse board you shouldnt need to ask if its ok, Im a bit confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Devil of 53

Hi Paddymick.
    I am not an electrician just very handy at most things.
    I was just looking for some guidance.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi Paddymick.
    I am not an electrician just very handy at most things.
    I was just looking for some guidance.
    Thanks

You are dealing with a lethal voltage. Your questions indicate that you are not sufficiently trained to carry out this work. Clearly you are not in a position to carry out essential testing of the installation. This could result in death or injury. Get a professional in.

You don't even know if you have addressed the initial problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »

You don't even know if you have addressed the initial problem!

I was thinking that same thing myself.

Its like someone who`s car wont start, so they get a brand new battery, now it starts. No one will tell them it was just a loose connection in the first place though, as changing the battery proves the old one was the problem (to them). But putting a new one in simply included them tightening the connection properly.

Thanks for the advice, taken on board.
    I take it that you are not willing to answer my question.
    May be if you were in my position you would understand why I have had to carry out this instalation.
    Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

May be if you were in my position you would understand why I have had to carry out this instalation.
    Thanks anyway.

i dont think any qualified sparks here would be too willing to advise over a forum about connections inside a consumer unit
    there are to many dangers
    i cant think of any reasons that would be acceptable to advise a non qualified electrician to work on a fuseboard
    if there was a major problem my advise would be to turn the power off and get an electrician out
    if the installation of the new consumer unit has not been completed and tested properly then electrocution or a fire risk are possible
    this is why there are regulatory bodies

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Good, my apologies if I came across as being offensive or condescending. That was not my intention.
    Its sometimes hard to reply the way you would like to from an iPhone :)
    Thanks anyway.
    I don't know your situation, but I would be surprised if what you did was worth the risk you have taken.

No matter how competent you are the electrical installation should have been tested in accordance with current regulations. This requires training and certified test equipment.

Just so that you understand, replacing the distribution board may not do anything to rectify your situation.

For all we know your mains cable could be undersized and this could be the reason that it is over heating.

Good luck with it.

All your advice has been taken on board.
    I intend to get it checked out by an approved electrician asap (funds tight)Mains cable used is 10m2.
    Thanks

I intend to get it checked out by an approved electrician asap (funds tight)
    I known the feeling!
    Mains cable used is 10m2.
    Thanks
    This should be a minimum of 16 sq. mm (from ESB meter to distribution board)

Fuse bord was purchased from Electrical suppliers already wired from main fuse to RCD.
    Just rewired as per existing instalation
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Fuse bord was purchased from Electrical suppliers already wired from main fuse to RCD.
    Just rewired as per existing instalation
    Thanks

thats what the lads discussed earlier
    posts #4 and #5
    perhaps the smaller incoming cable is the cause of your original problem

Thanks I will get it checked ASAP
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭atkin

Hi,
    I am in a similar situation . I notice that the old main fuse runs a little hot with the shower unit on.
    The board sizzles and hums because of loose fuse connections .
    You have saved money by doing it yourself .I would attempt it but for lack of information.
    The last 'electrican' that fitted a shower unit 17 years ago wired it to the main wire and not through the fuse.
    What was the result after a check by an electrican did you get the unit checked ?

atkin wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am in a similar situation . I notice that the old main fuse runs a little hot with the shower unit on.
    Enough said. This requires urgent attention. Get a registered electrician to look at it urgently. Turn off any large loads, such as shower. Better still turn everything off until it is looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

atkin wrote: »
    Hi,
    You have saved money by doing it yourself .I would attempt it but for lack of information.
    The last 'electrican' that fitted a shower unit 17 years ago wired it to the main wire and not through the fuse.
    What was the result after a check by an electrican did you get the unit checked ?

MY GOD:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭086lavey

that needs looking at asap . before there is a fire and some one is badly hurt or worse , i see this everey day at work on call outs , you show them whats wrong and what they should do , (sure it will be ok , its working isnt it ) is the reply you get , funds are low for every one , but saftey comes first , my two cent , dont post here much , but reading that !!!!!

Advertisement