Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miserable or What?

• 09-04-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Was at the playground today with my kids. There was a guy there with a metal detector scanning the mulch at the various playstations for lost money and treasure etc. It was beeping goodo and he seemed to be picking up a fair bit with his trowel.

How misearable is this opportunist or is it a sign of the times?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

are you sure he wasn't a pervert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

You could mug him after he's spent the day there.

Cha ching

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Maybe its just a hobby ? Maybe you should pay more attention to your kids ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

what times

*finishes wiping arse with €50 note*

FatherLen wrote: »

poster and post combination win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

finisklin wrote: »
    Was at the playground today with my kids. There was a guy there with a metal detector scanning the mulch at the various playstations for lost money and treasure etc. It was beeping goodo and he seemed to be picking up a fair bit with his trowel.

Why didnt he just take the play stations with him sure they'd be worth more than anything else he would find.

Maybe he already has an Xbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Not really. Everyone has different hobbies and I dont see much wrong with it. You would often see them at beaches at stuff.

I thought it was illegal here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

donalg1 wrote: »
    Why didnt he just take the play stations with him sure they'd be worth more than anything else he would find.

Maybe he already has an Xbox

I was going to say that but you bet me to it. Reminds me of the time I was on a beach in Portugal and a man was scanning the sand with a metal detector, it was a boopin and a boppin like Bill Crosby. He even had a water proof baggie for going into the water, where he seemed to be getting the biggest haul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Hope he forgot to wear gloves. How many kids pissed themselves in that sand i dread to think :D.

Shoulda just waited till everyone had fúcked off home. Not like it wasint going to beep in the dark. Woulda been so much more of a surprise when he got home too!! (Surprise it's just crap ring tops not exactly what he'd be hoping for i suppose)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

You should have ripped it off him and wrapped it around his head. The prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

This guy Terry Herbert had some success with a metal detector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Buy a big bag of small metal washers for a couple of quid and start spreadign them around. He'll be delighted you filled up a few hours of time for him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Buy a big bag of small metal washers for a couple of quid and start spreadign them around. He'll be delighted you filled up a few hours of time for him.
    be a lot cheaper to use 1c coins

rusty nails and bottle caps too

or just challenge him on the legality on using metal detectors on property belonging to someone else in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

we use sacks and sweets, not metal ****ing detectors.

did yer man have a cavan accent ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

op tis a bit sad ok. Might just want some company, obviously not a people person (more a crap left in playgrounds person)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

You would be surprised at what one can find with a metal detector.
    I remember a Friend of mine, one morning after a sunny day in Dublin her dad gets up Bright and early out to the beach with one of them things - only to come home with money,jewelery,watches - you name it.

Turns out the watche he found was estimated to be worth over €1000. He sold it :) and made a fair bit of money selling the other items to.

But this was back in the money making days, doubt people are wearing €1000 watches to the beach nowadays :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    You would be surprised at what one can find with a metal detector.
    I remember a Friend of mine, one morning after a sunny day in Dublin her dad gets up Bright and early out to the beach with one of them things - only to come home with money,jewelery,watches - you name it.

Turns out the watche he found was estimated to be worth over €1000. He sold it :) and made a fair bit of money selling the other items to.

But this was back in the money making days, doubt people are wearing €1000 watches to the beach nowadays :rolleyes:

Are you sure you weren't mistaking his burglar's crowbar for a metal detector?:confused:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are you sure you weren't mistaking his burglar's crowbar for a metal detector?:confused:

Funny but NO obviously not....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I think that it is ridiculous that they sell metal detectors in this country... It is not illegal to sell or produce metal detectors, but it is illegal to own one unless you have a special licence - a licence that is 99.9% of the time reserved for use by archeologists... The reasoning for this is because all finds that could be of historical importance have to be treated in a certain way, with information such as how deep the object is playing an important part in dating how old the object is.... I know that all this sounds silly when the guy mentioned in the first post is just picking up a few coins around the playground, but still, it's illegal. Next time you see him at it, grab it off him and snap it in two and inform him that you are doing him a favour! :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

OPs Location is Da' Nang...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Making sure that there aren't any dodgy characters around the playground would be part of looking after the children's safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

be a lot cheaper to use 1c coins

rusty nails and bottle caps too

Ahhh ... childrens' playground. Rusty nails? Really?

Funny but NO obviously not....

He might as well have been a burglar if he was selling the stuff that he found instead of handing it in to the Guards, especially a €1k watch.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

This reminded me of when I was in california and there was a big marked out line around the playground, with a notice on the gate saying, "No adult without a child may cross this line" haha

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Theft. :mad::mad:

Unless you handed it in to the Guards and it remained unclaimed for a year and a day it's not legally yours to sell.

Theft. :mad::mad:

Unless you handed it in to the Guards and it remained unclaimed for a year and a day it's not legally yours to sell.

emmm if you read the post correctly I didn't find the watch my Friends dad did it was almost 3 years ago.

Feel free to hunt them down to claim the watch if it's bothering you that much :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

BornToKill wrote: »
    Ahhh ... childrens' playground. Rusty nails? Really?
    A bit of tetantus never hurt anyone! *

*I am not a doctor

• Advertisement

emmm if you read the post correctly I didn't find the watch my Friends dad did it was almost 3 years ago.

Feel free to hunt them down to claim the watch if it's bothering you that much :rolleyes:

You should carry out your civic duty and get your friend's dad arrested.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

That was actually a slut detector, your kids passed well done:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

What's the tell tale sign, the metal detector?:rolleyes:

This was at 9.30am, the weather was damp, drizzly. Plus this guy was wrapped up really well and had a waterproof hoody on, like a fisherman. As my kids are 4 and 2 they were naturally curious to what he was doing. He didn't dig anything up while the kids were near him, afraid that they might nab his bootie!

Davyhal wrote: »
    I think that it is ridiculous that they sell metal detectors in this country... It is not illegal to sell or produce metal detectors, but it is illegal to own one unless you have a special licence - a licence that is 99.9% of the time reserved for use by archeologists... The reasoning for this is because all finds that could be of historical importance have to be treated in a certain way, with information such as how deep the object is playing an important part in dating how old the object is.... I know that all this sounds silly when the guy mentioned in the first post is just picking up a few coins around the playground, but still, it's illegal. Next time you see him at it, grab it off him and snap it in two and inform him that you are doing him a favour! :-P

Perhaps I should have called 999?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Metal detectors are technically illegal in Ireland, I saw a thread here on it the other day

I really want one, I've always wanted to explore a beach with one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

People with metal detectors in childrens playgrounds are scum of the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Could of been a pirate, they aren't just limited to the likes of Treasure Island, claiming his rightful treasure... they don't mark it with an X anymore, so they have to use metal detectors and the like.

Or maybe they were a member of our Special forces, they don't have much to do, so often they are told to get out and off they go with their metal detector. Either way, he is carrying out a duty and that's that, so mind your business or walk the plank... arrrrrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I have always wanted a metal detector. Now that I know its illegal, I want one even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

sounds like the guy lost something while he was there with his kids.

wedding ring maybe? fairly within the realms of possibility

mawk wrote: »
    sounds like the guy lost something while he was there with his kids.

wedding ring maybe? fairly within the realms of possibility

Nah chance...this guy was a professional scavenger. Sad really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement