Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking chilli/garlic in oil without burning?

Options
  • 09-04-2012 11:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

This is something I've always struggled with. The obvious solution is to reduce the heat, but then how do I stir fry or sear meat? The instructions always say to cook on a high heat, yet this ends up burning the chilli & garlic which as you know is horrible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I would have thought to start off with a low heat with the chilli or garlic in the oil. Then when stir frying, raise the heat a little then toss it around often so that the chilli or garlic isn't going to be burnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Saw a chef on TV recently who suggested adding them at the end of cooking.....

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

When you stir fry, batch cook. Add the meat first and brown then set aside, add the hard veg (onions, carrots) then add the soft veg (mangetout etc) and finally add the chilli and garlic for a small while. Finish with your soy (or whatever takes your fancy) add the meat back in and off you go.. If the pan is getting too hot add a splash of water. It steams off and speeds up the cooking. Don't cook the meat the whole way through the stirfry. It overcooks and toughens. Don't add the chilli and garlic at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,493 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ddad wrote: »
    When you stir fry, batch cook. Add the meat first and brown then set aside. Don't cook the meat the whole way through the stirfry. It overcooks and toughens. Don't add the chilli and garlic at the beginning.

Now why didn't I think of this myself? Thanks, Ddad, it makes a lot of sense. I will try it next time I do a stir fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

Over a low heat add your chopped garlic and chili and let it infuse into the oil for a minute until the garlic becomes translucent.
    Remove the chilli and garlic with a slotted spoon and put aside,(you now have chili and garlic oil.)then add back at end to correct the seasoning and or to taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

This is something I've always struggled with. The obvious solution is to reduce the heat, but then how do I stir fry or sear meat? The instructions always say to cook on a high heat, yet this ends up burning the chilli & garlic which as you know is horrible.

Hi BC,

as it happens I had similar problem with this and posted on it previously in this Chinese recipes thread of Jasshas http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75353088. Hope that it and its replies can help you towards fixing your problem.

The key to stir frys is that you spend more time on preparation than cooking.
    I dont agree with adding the garlic and ginger at the end as they are primarily used in the stir frys to flavour the oil(usually a nut oil). The simple solution seemed to be to shorten the time the garlic is in the wok before the next ingredients are added. Heat the wok itself before adding oil, helps it become more non-stick.
    You did ask about the searing of the meat. Its common that the meat element of a stir fry is 'cooked' before hand and then put aside until ready to add it back in later to reheat it. This essentially means your aromatic element of garlic/ginger etc doesnt have to spend the extra time it takes to cook the meat cooking. Generally it goes that you heat wok, add oil heat that. Fry meat/chicken til cooked. Set aside. Start again, heat wok, add oil and heat. Add your chosen aromatics(garlic, ginger, chilli, onion etc-sensitive aromatics such as garlic last of all I suggest!) and fry for short time on high heat. Add in your veg(minute or so), then your sauces(minute or so), then your cooked meat(minute or so). Done. Thats not gospel but its a great departure for many stir fries. Don't be tempted to overdo the quantities, you can always do it in batches, as stir fries are based on quick high heat, not a low slow stewing effect.

Lastly, Im not sure if you use minced garlic from jars. I often use it in cooking-and its super convienient, generally working well in many types of cuisine. But a basic property of minced garlic is that it cooks (and burns) faster than garlic you slice or chopped, or even crush yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

simply sear the meat in he wok/pan first then add your ginger/garlic and stir fry for a minute. then add your liquids(soysauce/vinegar/coconut milk/stock).

Advertisement