Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2k+ to spend on a full Suss - what's the best bang for buck ?

Options
  • 09-04-2012 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Anyone any favourites ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Sweenox

Nice Cubes for that money,bikestore.ie have loads in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

canyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

uberalles wrote: »
    Anyone any favourites ?

Can you be more specific?
    1. Short travel XC Full suss 100mm
    2. Mid-travel trail machine 120mm
    3. Downhill Machine 140mm++

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Anyone any favourites ?

Can you be more specific?
    1. Short travel XC Full suss 100mm
    2. Mid-travel trail machine 120mm
    3. Downhill Machine 140mm++

120 travel I think. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

Best bang for buck will always be second hand, if you're willing to potentially wait a while for something nice to come up you could get top end bicycle for 2k.

If you're after a new bike it's usually best to just wait for something to come on special offer, big online shops like CRC, bike24, bike-components etc have a habit of randomly discounting large swathes of stock for a while or offering % off everything.

If you're after something new right now canyon is a pretty good place to start looking, they sell directly (no dealers) so they they often end up a bit cheaper than other companies. They have an outlet store too with display bikes and such. http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2558

• Advertisement

120 travel I think. Thanks

That would be an XC/trail bike, good for downhill but not so much weight as to make you suffer on the uphills...

The number 1 bike in that range is the Giant Trance X :
    www.base2race.ie/stores/velomotion/giant/giant-trance/

They are almost impossible to find 2nd hand as most people will hold onto them.

Ok so its not as cheap as a Canyon, but it will last you a lot longer, and i personally prefer the design of the Giant

Rough guide would be

100-120mm-XC
    120-140mm-AM/Enduro
    160-180-Freeride/Enduro/Light DH
    anything over 180 for full on DH

Depends on what kind of riding you are looking to do really,bit of xc and trails but try bigger more techy stuff in the future I would go with 140mm,handle a small bit of light DH and won't kill you on the climbs,would be a nice fun bike but still come in at reasonable enough weight. If your just going to ride trails like Ballyhoura etc. a 120mm travel would be perfect for that.

I mentioned the cubes because I have tried a few of their offerings and just think they handle great,not too heavy,climb well and are reasonably well kitted out for the price. Someone also mentioned Canyon,haven't tried them myself but heard nothing but good things from anyone who has and they come with seriously good kit for the money so would be well worth a look

Hope this helps a bit

Rob

That would be an XC/trail bike, good for downhill but not so much weight as to make you suffer on the uphills...

The number 1 bike in that range is the Giant Trance X :
    www.base2race.ie/stores/velomotion/giant/giant-trance/

They are almost impossible to find 2nd hand as most people will hold onto them.

Ok so its not as cheap as a Canyon, but it will last you a lot longer, and i personally prefer the design of the Giant

I had the trance x4,also a great bike,felt a bit different to the cubes but still a good bike,seriously easy to climb but for me a little less fun on the descents,you could find it different,definitely a great bike.

Can't say I have noticed many CUBE branded bikes on the trails, certainly no older models anyways..

Though to give you some perspective, last years "EPIC Blast"(a DH/XC race) was won by Robin Seymour on a 4 year old Trance, and his was up against 2 pro's on bikes worth €10,000!
    And at the weekend's "Gravity Enduro" on that same old Giant Trance he was only a minute slower than the winner(s) who were pro's on bikes worth many many times the value of the old Trance..

So "Bang for Buck?" Go with the Trance X

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Though to give you some perspective, last years "EPIC Blast"(a DH/XC race) was won by Robin Seymour on a 4 year old Trance, and his was up against 2 pro's on bikes worth €10,000!

In fairness Robin Seymour could probably beat most people on a unicycle.

• Advertisement

Ye I was meaning if he was buying a new cube,could get a cube stereo for 2k,certainly not disputing the fact that the trance is a great bike,like I said I loved mine,just had more fun on the cube on descents,but I'm into bigger travel,and like DH more. Still sick I ever sold the trance though,much lighter than the cube too

Lumen wrote: »
    In fairness Robin Seymour could probably beat most people on a unicycle.

True, though when you think of him beating the pro's on what's basically his hack bike it shows the Trance is a good design that can stand up to the abuse... have not seen any old XC/Trail CUBE/Canyon full sus bikes around, a few Specialized though...

Sweenox wrote: »
    Ye I was meaning if he was buying a new cube,could get a cube stereo for 2k,certainly not disputing the fact that the trance is a great bike,like I said I loved mine,just had more fun on the cube on descents,but I'm into bigger travel,and like DH more. Still sick I ever sold the trance though,much lighter than the cube too

Should have got the REIGN :D

Actually someone sold a spotless one for peanuts a few weeks back on the DH site

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

Should have got the REIGN :D

I wonder what the Reign is like going uphill? Most people say 120 is fine for Trail. a 140 bike will be a pain to cycle up hill.

BUT ........... is it worth the extra weight for the extra fun going down hill?
    Is it way more comfortable than a 120? Is the seating position more upright and comfortable? (Im getting on and like my comforts!)

Ive a hard tail at the mo so Ive no experience of full suss but its something I def want to get.

thethingis wrote: »
    I wonder what the Reign is like going uphill? Most people say 120 is fine for Trail. a 140 bike will be a pain to cycle up hill.
    BUT ........... is it worth the extra weight for the extra fun going down hill?
    Is it way more comfortable than a 120? Is the seating position more upright and comfortable? (Im getting on and like my comforts!)
    Ive a hard tail at the mo so Ive no experience of full suss but its something I def want to get.

A Reign with XT is around the 30lbs mark so is still grand for pedalling uphill, whereas the Trance will be a couple of pounds lighter...
    Its only when you look at the Giant Glory that you will have to push the bike up any long to medium/steep climbs... And really unless you are a downhill racer then don't bother.. I see way too many people pushing full DH rigs up the trails at the likes of Ticknock just for a couple of mins of downhill which could be done on a Hardtail!!

As mentioned
    100mm XC
    120 is XC/Trail
    140 would be Trail
    160 All Mountain
    180++ DH only..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index.php?page=product&info=213
    ^^^
    I think that's a lot of bike for the money. 130-160mm adjustable travel. 2 x 10 speed X9 gears, DT Swiss wheels, Race Face cranks.
    31.5 pounds without pedals, plus it looks pretty cool.

They also do a 200mm travel bike for the same price.

The Lapierre Zesty could be worth a look also.

Nice bike, looks similar to the Zesty, though never heard of them, wonder what there Frame break/replace policy is..

Zesty's are prob the top seller of trail/xc bikes in the country, i believe you won't get one at the €2k price mark unless you source from the UK/Europe.

In addition to the actual frame warranty. They've a 2 year 'swap after impact' policy. Which covers the original owner for breaking the thing in a crash.

I know the Zesty's were breaking at the seat tube for a while, I know a lad who broke 2! They gave him a carbon fiber one in the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Have you tried any modern full-sussers OP? The amount of suspension is only a very rough indicator of how well something will pedal - every bike will be different.

I ride a 2008 Specialized Pitch and its biggest handicap on the climbs is its downhill tyres. The only time I've ever really felt the suspension eat into my pedalling was when I was stamping on a pretty heavy gear, while climbing with the shock pedalling platform turned off.

If you're only going to get one full-susser, then I'd recommend something around the 140 - 160 mm bracket. The Zesty and the YT bike look nice alright.

• Advertisement

YT industries DH frame has problems with the rear triangle cracking and breaking along the chainstay,not sure about the AM bike. You could get a Lapierre Zesty 214 for 2k or a spicy 316 for 2,300

214's are just under €2.2k: here

YT industries DH frame has problems with the rear triangle cracking and breaking along the chainstay,not sure about the AM bike.

I believe they were updated since.

Cool,good to see companies like YT and Canyon bringing out more affordable bikes.
    2,045.00e here
    http://www.bikestore.ie/all-mountain-bikes-1/suspension-bikes-mens/lapierre/lapierre-zesty-214-bike-2012.html

Now I want one haha

I think i may purchase a Scott Spark: here ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭aongo

My brother and I borrowed a LaPierre Zesty 214 for a weekend's messing around Sligo and I was blown away by it...
    Light and nimble, no apparent pedal-bob even when stood up and mashing... serious fun on the downs, but what really impressed me was unbelievable performance on rough bouldery surfaces - we cycled back and forth over head-sized skree on a rocky beach as if it was the finest asphalt, the suspension gives you that much control, grip and traction.
    I ride a hardtail with much steeper geometry so once I got over the "chasing a wheelbarrow down a trail" sensation, the bike was brilliant!

I reckon that high under-the-toptube suspension design is one to consider - fewer bearings & joints and the shock is up and out of the way of mud and flying stones, important if your about to drop some serious cash on a bike

I'd doc half a mark for standard quick-release wheels on the one we had, the preferences seem to be for stiffer screw-through axles on these kind of bikes, though I didn't notice any flex or anything like that...

:eek: Is that a mistake on the price? I would be homeless if she ever found out I spent that on a bike!

aongo wrote: »
    I reckon that high under-the-toptube suspension design is one to consider - fewer bearings & joints and the shock is up and out of the way of mud and flying stones...

Try put an easily accessible bottle cage on a Zesty though! :D

:eek: Is that a mistake on the price? I would be homeless if she ever found out I spent that on a bike!

Nope, thats the price of the Spark, €10k of bike :)

• Advertisement

Ha nice bike but man that's pricey! Think I'll stick to saving for my cannondale jekyll haha

Advertisement