Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2k+ to spend on a full Suss - what's the best bang for buck ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭aongo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Try put an easily accessible bottle cage on a Zesty though! :D

Oh yeah, good point... guess you're stuck with a waterbag... or funky saddle-mounted triathlon bottle cages - that'd look good with a dropper post! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

Ive heard that the Giants rear shocks are easily replaced with readily available parts when Out OF Warranty but some other manufacturers use proprietary parts (more expensive). Any truth in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

thethingis wrote: »
    Ive heard that the Giants rear shocks are easily replaced with readily available parts when Out OF Warranty but some other manufacturers use proprietary parts (more expensive). Any truth in this?

You would not really need to replace the rear shock, ever... So long as the air can and seals are regularly cleaned..

I think you mean the pivot bearings... which are easily and readily available for Giants, you may have trouble with Canyons and the like though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Try put an easily accessible bottle cage on a Zesty though! :D

Nuthin' that a couple of Jubilee clips and a bit of gaffer tape wouldn't sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

If you put a Giant Reign circa 2.8K beside their comparable spec bike whats the Euro saving? Whats the premium for keeping the LBS open? What % approx?

The advantage of a Giant etc from a LBS is you can kick it around a shop and return it when you need to, I realise that. But how much is the saving if you want to risk it for a biscuit?

Everyone wants the best spec they can get at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Which model Canyon?

The Strive?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Which model Canyon?

The Strive?

Just as an example please compare that one if it's a comparable spec. I'm on a smart phone at the mo and can't go look at the black gothic canyon site as we speak.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

It's very difficult to quantify. It's a question which can only be answered personally. If you're already an experienced mountain biker, you probably aren't going to your shop for much so I can't see much incentive in paying over the odds at a shop. The Canyons are much better specced than other bikes in the same price range, so I'd go with one of them.

As a side note, the Giant Reign has a major oversight compared to other bikes in the same travel range: you can't fit a chainguide. It doesn't have ISCG mounts and it has a press-fit BB. That'd be enough to put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Hashy Houdini

Check out the Nukeproof Mega AM comp build - did the Carrick DH race on it last weekend and planning on doing the Gravity Enduro in 3rock soon. Took it up to Ballinastoe last week, might be bit overkill for that but pedalled grand up the hills. 2x10 setup with a chainguide on it can't go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

Slightly OT, a mate of mine got a full
    suss Lapierre "something" recently for using using up in Ticknock. Swears by it.
    Is a full suss necessary for the likes of Ticknock or would a hard tail suffice ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

For the official trails a hardtail is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

Hello everyone. Was on here looking at what people had to say about buying a 2.5k full sus mtb. Since 4 years have passed since the last post here what would people advise now a days to buy. I just have looked at the Cube stereos so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Dcmb1984 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. Was on here looking at what people had to say about buying a 2.5k full sus mtb. Since 4 years have passed since the last post here what would people advise now a days to buy. I just have looked at the Cube stereos so far

Canyon spectral EX versions.
    All the bike you'll need for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Canyon spectral EX versions.
    All the bike you'll need for Ireland.

Nothing to beat Canyon for value and quality.
    I particularly like the Spectral 7EX.
    However, I would happily settle for the 6EX
    Availability is good at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

I have a Giant Reign. Front lifts a bit on seriously steep uphill singletrack but to be honest only stuff thats so steep you'd prefer to be going down it or avoid it altogether. Point it down and its a dream if you can pick one up SH wouldn't look past it all bushings easily replaced and fork is pike which is well put together

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

Hello again guys.
    I'm currently looking at a second hand 2016 Canyon strive al 7.0 race. Have ye any experience or opinions on this bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Dcmb1984 wrote: »
    Hello again guys.
    I'm currently looking at a second hand 2016 Canyon strive al 7.0 race. Have ye any experience or opinions on this bike?
    Excellent bike. The 2015 model had awful trouble with the shapeshifter, but they've got that pretty much sorted now.

Advertisement