Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mazda RX8

• 10-04-2012 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Looking to buy a Mazda RX8,

I'll be using my own car + 2k, so realistically, I'm looking at the cheapest end of the market for one around the 4k mark....

Specifically, I'm only after it one colour and i'm not too mad about the bhp difference, (although if possible the 230bhp model would be nice) Few questions though! I already know about the cold and hot starting problems with the engine flooding, the coils and plugs needing to be changed every 30k miles and the rebuilds being required due to compression issues around the 60K+ miles mark.

Are these compression issues more prevelent in the higher horsepower models?

Is the difference really that much between the two models? I've only driven two of the lower bhp models and was still fairly impressed, anyone here driven both??

Ideally I just want one in the colour i'm looking for, thats at least been somewhat looked after for that price range, and one or two dealers have advertised with 'Warranties'? Anyone bought one of these recently and read through what warranties are available??

Think thats all for now :)

Thanks in advance.
    Pad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Hi Paddy,

The compression issues are due to the engine being starved of oil causing the rotor tips to not be lubricated. This is what causes them to wear down and then you have no compression.

The rumours of the engine having to be rebuilt every 60,000 miles is simply bullsh!t. It's one of the most viscous rumours about this car. It does NOT necessarily need to be rebuilt if the compression is good.

The rebuild is mainly to get at the rotor seals ans the tips in order to replace them.

The warranty is up to the dealer and isn't one type of warranty given to each car in the country.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paddy247

Aye, knew the engine problems alright, but I'm still a little confused about the warranty's offered from third party companies? One dealer I spoke to, said once a car is over 8 years old, the third parties won't touch them, another I spoke to gave me a price to purchase a warranty with the car exactly the same age?

The rebuilds can be pretty pricey, and it does seem that a lot of the RX8s for sale have either rebuilds completed or else a brand new engine fitted altogether! (2,300 euros)

The main reason for most cars problems in this country tends to be a lack of care with oil, its why most BMW 6 cylinders are destroyed when they get to a certain age as the owners never check the level or service them at the correct intervals... Seems these engines are destined for the same treatment :(

Really Grinds My Gears! (like what I did there?) :)

Cheers for you help though MetzGerMeister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

paddy247 wrote: »
    The rebuilds can be pretty pricey, and it does seem that a lot of the RX8s for sale have either rebuilds completed or else a brand new engine fitted altogether! (2,300 euros)

You must be looking at RX7's because the 8 doesn't need the engine rebuilds like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

An engine rebuild is normally required after the seals in the engine has been damaged due to flooding, rotor wear is not normally a problem for the RX8 if the engine has been taken care of. There is no difference reliability wise between the 192 and 231 models.

If you look around the RX8 forums you will see plenty of people driving there RX8 on the original engine without a rebuild well above 100K, but it is all to do with how you take care of it.

A FSH and compression check would be advised before buying an 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pAdidas

ARGINITE wrote: »
    An engine rebuild is normally required after the seals in the engine has been damaged due to flooding, rotor wear is not normally a problem for the RX8 if the engine has been taken care of. There is no difference reliability wise between the 192 and 231 models.

If you look around the RX8 forums you will see plenty of people driving there RX8 on the original engine without a rebuild well above 100K, but it is all to do with how you take care of it.

A FSH and compression check would be advised before buying an 8.

That's what worries me, I've owned many cars in Ireland, and have friends who are mechanics in the trade, it's literally shocking how many people don't so much as check the oil level... And it seems every second rx8 advertised here has had some sort of rebuild/replacement.

Thanks for the info. Any idea on how much a compression test would cost? I'm looking mostly at rx8s from dealerships that claim to have a warranty, so if there's no visible oil leaks or lack of power/starting issues and the engine is running well (and actually has oil in it) I'd be happy to pay the extra for at least a 12 month warranty.

Anyone ever had experience with these third party warranties? Anyone ever had to use one before?

Thanks a million,
    P

• Advertisement

I had an RX8 which I bought in December 2008. I got a 3 month engine and gearbox warranty with it and from the day I test drove it it had starting issues. The garage I bought it from didn't want to know about it as "the starter isn't covered in yar warranty".

I did a lot of work on that car myself as I didn't have the money (or stupidity) to let a dealer do the work. In the end I had it running like a normal car i.e. not 1 starting problem ever after that, nor had I any trouble with it at all after that.

Whereabouts are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I wanted to buy one of these myself but like the OP I've been put off with comments like "engine rebuild" and "smokey engine"

Anyone wanna advice me on the matter?

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    I wanted to buy one of these myself but like the OP I've been put off with comments like "engine rebuild" and "smokey engine"

Anyone wanna advice me on the matter?

Read post #2 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

pity cause I love this car so much :(

If you find one that has been looked after, you won't have any problems with it.

Your best bet is to try the enthusiasts sites like www.irishrotary.ie

• Advertisement

If you find one that has been looked after, you won't have any problems with it.

In from Dun Laoghaire MetzgerMeister, I'm in no crazy rush to buy a new car as my college is only a short distance from me and I don't do a lot of driving anymore. My last car sold yesterday so I have cash waiting to snap up the first looked after Rx8 I find, only conditions I have is that it's one in the dark silver colour and preferably the higher horsepower model :)

I'll sign up for the owners club now and have a look around, see of there's any going for my price range.

Thanks again
    P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

There should be a seperate forum for you to answer RX8 questions at this stage :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I don't even bother replying to RX8 threads anymore, himself has it covered :D

jenizzle wrote: »
    I don't even bother replying to RX8 threads anymore, himself has it covered :D

Everyone's input is valuable Jen.....even yours :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

One thing to keep is mind is the fuel costs - it's part of the reason I opted not to get an RX-8 and got an S2000 instead.
    Even at that, the petrol costs are considerable, and as all they seem to do is rise, it's wise to make sure you can afford it.

Once you're aware of the running costs, necessary maintenance and the little quirks, you won't find a better car for that money. Lovely motor.

One thing to keep is mind is the fuel costs - it's part of the reason I opted not to get an RX-8 and got an S2000 instead.
    Even at that, the petrol costs are considerable, and as all they seem to do is rise, it's wise to make sure you can afford it.

Once you're aware of the running costs, necessary maintenance and the little quirks, you won't find a better car for that money. Lovely motor.

If you got an RX8, you wouldn't have had to get your hair cut to stop all the flies catching in it with the roof down :P

Was debating an s2000, running costs don't really apply to me as I can get a bus to college and I'm not working at the minute, I only sold my 5 series because I couldn't justify paying that much for tax on something I barely do a few thousand miles in a year.

The price of S2000s are still just too high for my budget unfortunately :(

If you're not working, may I advise against an RX8?

If you're not working, may I advise against an RX8?

Oh yeah? Do you mean because of service costs or running or? I literally do a few thousand miles a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

pAdidas wrote: »
    Oh yeah? Do you mean because of service costs or running or? I literally do a few thousand miles a year?

I manage about 10k miles a year at low 40's mpg. Its costing me about 2500 a year in fuel. At half the mileage and half the mpg you would be looking at the same. Then whats yours insurance? Maintenance costs? Money for repairs(because your buying a car with some very well known problems)? Tax?

Total cost per year? 4K+ at least. Is it worth it as a student?

• Advertisement

Petrol mainly. With the RX8 you'll find yourself going for drives for the sake of it!

Also, if you do get one, it could have problems. It's not as easy as you'd think to find one that's properly sorted.

I manage about 10k miles a year at low 40's mpg. Its costing me about 2500 a year in fuel. At half the mileage and half the mpg you would be looking at the same. Then whats yours insurance? Maintenance costs? Money for repairs(because your buying a car with some very well known problems)? Tax?

Total cost per year? 4K+ at least. Is it worth it as a student?

My insurance is around 1000 for the year, tax is cheaper than my 2.2 5 series that I just sold, the only thing worrying me would be if I bought a car that had a lot of problems, I've already put aside about 1k to get whatever one I buy sorted... It is totally crazy I guess, but figured itd be worth it to have something fun to drive again! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Was debating an s2000, running costs don't really apply to me as I can get a bus to college and I'm not working at the minute, I only sold my 5 series because I couldn't justify paying that much for tax on something I barely do a few thousand miles in a year.

The price of S2000s are still just too high for my budget unfortunately :(

I'm working full time, don't use my RX8 for work and it's only for a runabout at the weekends, and I can just about keep it on the road. I sacrifice other things as a spin in it makes me very happy, but there's nothing more depressing than having to walk passed it on the driveway to get the bus because you don't have a few quid for petrol.

I get about 20mpg out of mine, about 400km out of a full tank, maybe 450 on a motorway keeping to the speedlimit, or under 350 in city driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

jenizzle wrote: »
    I get about 20mpg out of mine

Just to echo this to the OP. I get around 17 from mine.

Advertisement