Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in spain..

Options
  • 10-04-2012 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Guys, does anyone have any idea what the prices are for renting property on a monthly basis like cheap or dear? also how hard is it to find work? :) :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

There is very high youth unemployment in Spain. However, if you have particular skills you could be lucky. One skill not to overlook is your "english-speaking" skill. This is obviously valued in the touristy areas. Wages in Spain are low, as is rent. You can have a better quality of life there for less money as you dont have heating bills, and public transport is generally good and cheap-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Obviously it depends on where you live. Where are you thinking of heading? If you live in a smaller city rents can be 100-150 a month for a room. In the bigger cities it can be 300/400/500+ a month for a room.

mari2222 wrote: »
    you dont have heating bills

If you live on the sunny south coast or Canaries/Balearic Islands you may not need central heating but inland winters can be very cold.

Work is very hard to find. Unemployment is at 23% and rising and youth unemployment is over 50%. There are lots of jobs in English teaching and as said for the summer English is an advantage in areas with international tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

MisterGreg wrote: »
    Guys, does anyone have any idea what the prices are for renting property on a monthly basis like cheap or dear? also how hard is it to find work? :) :cool:

The best you can do is go to Spain's equivalent to DAFT, www.idealista.com, because though there are other web pages for the same stuff, that seems to be be most popular by a large margin.

Regarding renting prices, it all depends on the location, and your ability to negotiate with the landlord, as it usually happens that prices shown are overbloated, and you may be able after some effort to drive the figure closer to "market prices".

Just to have a ballpark figure, expect to pay around 10€/month per square meter, even in not so bad neighbours in downtown Madrid or Barcelona or any other big city (the bigger the place, the lower the price per sq.m.). Have the 500-700 €/mn figure in mind for something reasonable, two bedrooms, detached kitchen, living room, in a condo with no elevator (up to 4 or 5 stories high) in a decent neighbourhood, close to main communication links (underground, plenty of bus routes, rail, etc.).

With respect to difficulty to find properties to rent, there are billions of them for rent, and even more are vacant but not in the market, but you will have to do some research, as cities in Spain are usually not like the cities in Ireland. The web site above and Google Maps + Street View should give you a good idea of the place.

If in doubt, please first ask about the area, as it happens there are some cities and places that are to be avoided (for the reasons we all know).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MisterGreg

Basically i am 18 heading off with my friend only for the summer.. Santa ponsa?! would it matter if bring previous work experience in bars ?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

MisterGreg wrote: »
    Basically i am 18 heading off with my friend only for the summer.. Santa ponsa?! would it matter if bring previous work experience in bars ?

Santa Ponsa seems to be a small town in the Calviá regio, near Mallorca (Majorca), and that area is a very packed place during the summer time, so expect to pay premium prices for a roof to live under. I am nowhere near expert of the place and the typical people on holiday there, but it may be more a place for germans than one for english-irish, so having some bartender experience and native english language may not be a significant advantage getting a job.

It seems you have a severe budget issue in front of you, as income look difficult to get and expenses can be huge in touristic places like that during peak summer weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I was talking to someone who worked in a bar over there. They all live in ****holes miles away from the beach & work.

Advertisement