Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruelty from a stranger

• 10-04-2012 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I have a Golden Labrador and as I explained in another of my threads, my back gate is onto a main road. My Mam came into my room the other day to tell me a woman stopped my Dad at the back gate to tell him this guy who looked a bit crazy was standing at my back gate saying he was going to kill my dog. She waited at my back gate to get someones attention as she did not like the look of him.

I am worried sick, as he was very sick the other day vomiting and I was afraid in case he would have given him something to make him sick. He has since gotten better and is back to his usual self.

Tonight I went outside to him and he had a little bit of blood on his head. My dad was only back from a walk with him so I asked him what happened and he said the dog had a nick on his ear before he brought him for a walk. So I am now worried that maybe someone is harming him. We have had problems with owners letting their dogs snap at him as I have explained in a different thread so maybe it was one of them or he might have scratched it himself I don't know.

Did anyone else ever have a problem like this??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Karona wrote: »
    I have a Golden Labrador and as I explained in another of my threads, my back gate is onto a main road. My Mam came into my room the other day to tell me a woman stopped my Dad at the back gate to tell him this guy who looked a bit crazy was standing at my back gate saying he was going to kill my dog. She waited at my back gate to get someones attention as she did not like the look of him.

I am worried sick, as he was very sick the other day vomiting and I was afraid in case he would have given him something to make him sick. He has since gotten better and is back to his usual self.

Tonight I went outside to him and he had a little bit of blood on his head. My dad was only back from a walk with him so I asked him what happened and he said the dog had a nick on his ear before he brought him for a walk. So I am now worried that maybe someone is harming him. We have had problems with owners letting their dogs snap at him as I have explained in a different thread so maybe it was one of them or he might have scratched it himself I don't know.

Did anyone else ever have a problem like this??
    I'd keep the dog indoors now and see if u spot anyone around the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

Set up a cctv. If he's caught, he'll be charged.

Although, in saying that, I know how I'd handle it myself and I don't think the site would appreciate me giving out that advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Unfortunatly he is too big to keep indoors (the mother would have a fit) and he isn't house trained. But I have been and will still be keeping an eye out. If I hear him barking at all I'm the up like a flash checking to see who it is. We know his usual "friends" who rub him or stop to talk to him so they are fine, but I am very wary now of others and will let them see me watching them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Call the Gardai immediately and seek advice.
    You might be best to call the local station, not 999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Set up a cctv. If he's caught, he'll be charged.

Although, in saying that, I know how I'd handle it myself and I don't think the site would appreciate me giving out that advice :)

PM me lol. I might take that advice over the CCTV lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

You can pick up CCTV cameras for next to nothing in argos. How exposed is the back yard?
    I'd always suggest calling it into the gardai, imo better to have it on file just in case, never know.

Odds are he was just a crazy person though OP, he's probably gotten distracted by now and forgotten all about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If you can't keep the dog in the house, I would at the very least put up some sort of temporary barrier so can't get close to the gate until this problem is sorted. Take pictures of your dogs ear, explain the full situation to your vet and they maybe able to help with a veterinary report for the gardai and report this stating that you are terrified and are being intimidated in your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

It is illegal to kill a dog in this country unless it is threatening people or livestock.
    Tell the crazy dude that.
    Next - acquire some bones from a butcher. After the dog is done, shatter them with a hammer and leave the shards near the gate ;) QED. If not, then get cctv and pay extra attention to the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

It is illegal to kill a dog in this country unless it is threatening people or livestock.

Are you serious about that? Of course you can kill a dog if it's badly injured, my old man has even got his buddy who's a dog warden to shoot a pup we had that was hit by a car (his own gun was being repaired).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

what exactly did the woman say? was the man telling her he was going to kill the dog or was he talking to the dog and she overheard?

he could just be a random nutter who walks around threatening to kill everyone, the lady could just have been doing her good deed by letting you know and maybe the other stuff is just coincidence

if it is the worst case scenario and this person is out to get your dog then you need to get the camera set up and keep someone watching at all times to see if he is coming back repeatedly, or close off the area completely

it seems unlikely to me though that a random stranger would just decide to kill a dog thats locked up behind a gate...i mean that as reassurance not to undermine your worry..if i heard that i'd be petrified!

maybe you could speak to the woman again to see what she thinks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I would put a sign up on the back gate saying that *somebody* has been caught on cctv threatening harm against your dog and should anything happen the tapes of the easily identifiable individual will be passed to the relevant authorities.:)
    I would also be reporting it to the gardai as if he is doing things like this they possibly know about him already!

can you keep the dog away from the gate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

as said previous id inform the local garda station and get a cctv system set up just to put your mind at risk a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Something like this can be setup to do motion-detect and email you when it detects anything. Nice and easy to setup.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loftek-Nexus-543-surveillance-70%C2%B0Viewing/dp/B0052IJQEG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1333916457&sr=1-1

If you want to implement something larger and more capable for a bit more money, these guys have great options: www.rfconcepts.co.uk

CCTV is great if just to give piece of mind in see "what's going on". It can also be a good deterrent for anyone acting the maggot.

Advertisement